Diabetic retinopathy And pregnancy

BethAliceC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Last year I was told if I got pregnant I would go blind. This is after results saying I had the early stage of that dreaded eye problem. I have has the pump for a couple of years now and my hbmi results have been pretty perfect since getting the balances sorted. But my doctor has nicely terrified me. So I wanted the opinion of people that actually live through this stuff and no more than a textbook. Can anyone give me some advice about how dangerous it actually is to try have a child when showing signs of diabetic retinopathy.

LindsayOz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have developed retinopathy since being pregnant and the doctors have not said ANYTHING like that to me. I would get a second and third opinion for sure! I've also read a blog of a woman who had it prior and was told the same thing and she was fine after having her baby. Sometimes I feel like they are living in the past when they try scaring us with the worst possible scenarios!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If you plan on trying for a baby then you should discuss this with your diabetes Consultant/ DSN who will advise further on what precautions to take to reduce the risks of your retinopathy progressing, if you read the following it does say that retinopathy can progress during pregnancy but you will be monitored throughout by a Ophthalmologist:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/pregnancy.htm

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Hi Beth, I was once told that damage to your eyes was the only reversible side effect of high sugars, ie you might find the signs of retinopathy have gone now you have your sugars under control - have you had them tested recently? They check every trimester, although in my case they didn't bother with first tri because I'd had one just before I fell pregnant and hba1c was fine. They might test more regularly if there's an existing problem.

Docs like to scare you, my dad (also type 1) was told he was going to be blind within the year, over 5 years ago - he's absolutely fine, still driving etc. I don't mean to sound complacent but as long as your hba1c is ok you should be ok x

Reactions: 2 people

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
HI Beth,
I have to say I agree with what was said above. I think you've been given shocking advice, was this a diabetes doctor or just your GP? I've met a lot of ladies who have had minor retinopathy changes at the start of pregnancy but did fine. Yes it may be more complicated and need monitoring during pregnancy but not impossible. If it was your diabetes team that said this then if I was you I would ask for a second opinion to which you are completely entitled.
I hope you get this sorted! x

BethAliceC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It was my diabetes doctor. I swear 90% of them are idiots, I had to fight like hell for a pump and my levels have been great since. My gp gave me tablets that he wasn't meant to which could be why I have the eye problem now. It's a joke. I'll be going into private care before trying for a baby, need the best for the little thing. Thank you all, you really set my mind at ease a bit