Injecting through clothes

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Hello,

Hope you all had a lovely Xmas! Not posted in a while but I'm rather annoyed as on a Facebook group people are trying to say that injecting through any type of clothing is okay and simply can't see the harm, and Im getting targeted for being horrible rude and touchy for simply stating the obvious how stupid the idea is! And well looking out for others welfare!!

Thoughts please! :)

Reactions: 5 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
as a normal rule of thumb i don't do it but i have done before -- i suppose i come from an era of long ago -- not like today where everything is more out in the open
i used to be ashamed of my Diabetes so injecting in public below dinner table level is a way to not have to excuse my self and go to even more horrible toilets to do the inject.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

as a normal rule of thumb i don't do it but i have done before -- i suppose i come from an era of long ago -- not like today where everything is more out in the open
i used to be ashamed of my Diabetes so injecting in public below dinner table level is a way to not have to excuse my self and go to even more horrible toilets to do the inject.
Well that's understandable but was it out of laziness? I'm just so annoyed how I could be the villain in this? I really shouldn't let things get to me so easily and just stick to this forum! Ha!

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
no not laziness -- back in the 1970's and 1980's i have been told in no uncertan terms i should not be injecting myself in public as it is disgusting for non diabetics to have to see -- fortunately i think those attitudes are gone now-- and you are not a villain at all @ohitsnicola -
i think you show concern for all diabetics in letting them know that injecting through clothes carries some dangers

Reactions: 6 people
D

Deleted member 83869

no not laziness -- back in the 1970's and 1980's i have been told in no uncertan terms i should not be injecting myself in public as it is disgusting for non diabetics to have to see -- fortunately i think those attitudes are gone now-- and you are not a villain at all -
i think you show concern for all diabetics in letting them know that injecting through clothes carries some dangers
Oh my that's crazy! Defo glad times have changed! The main thing that gets to me is that I try my best yet have had dka 3 times but then you get people like that saying they inject through jeans etc and have had no problems! Hmphh

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
your not a vilain. Dont take people seriously on the internet.
Ive been injecting through clothing for years. I do change my needle often tho. You are right and most doctors would agree with you so when you get these silly people who like to argue, then just block them. Some people know they shouldnt do it but dont like being told what to do or dont like hearing what they are doing is wrong.
Ive had loads of abuse from people who will pick apart a sentence and take things the wrong way and then be abusive. You can either react or ignore them. Its easier to ignore.

One woman posted that she does not treat a hypo. She waits for her liver to dump glucose and just sits through the hypo. I said that hypos are dangerous and suggested 3 jelly babies or 100ml lucucade followed by 10grams carbohydrate. She replied with all this abuse and called me every name under the sun. I was only offering some guidance......

I tend to stay clear of posting on FB. Too many weirdos!!

Reactions: 9 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have to admit that with the very fine needles, I've never had an issue injecting through clothes when it has been necessary!

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
I would have thought it was common sense that if you inject through clothing you pick up any bacteria from the cloth onto the needle . But I've not found any evidence of common sense on FB for a very long time, its just a trolls hideout . Block them , ignore them but don't try to argue, its a waste of time and you obviously get upset.

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hello,

Hope you all had a lovely Xmas! Not posted in a while but I'm rather annoyed as on a Facebook group people are trying to say that injecting through any type of clothing is okay and simply can't see the harm, and Im getting targeted for being horrible rude and touchy for simply stating the obvious how stupid the idea is! And well looking out for others welfare!!

Thoughts please! :)

Don't inject through clothing, it's a bad habit to get into as clothing contains bacteria and will contaminate the sterile needle, it will also blunt the needle making it more painful on injecting.

Reactions: 5 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Have not injected through clothing yet and hope never have to but need to find out one way or the other if safe to do so before commenting on they yea and nay of it....

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well... I injected into my stomach for years... was easy to lift my shirt. Then I got these horrible fatty lumps which took years to go away.
I now just inject into my thighs through my clothing.

Scardoc

Much like @Omnipod above I used to use my stomach as it was easy to expose but did that too long. I recently went through a spell using my backside and would certainly go to the loo and drop my trousers.

My concern, other than the bacteria issue, with injecting through clothing would be possible damage to the needle end which may cause more damage than necessary to your skin but could also prevent the full amount of insulin being injected.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It has never occurred to me In 38 years regarding this subject... How the hell do you "pinch up" through clothing...? Let alone the other aforementioned issues...

In the case of dropping trousers to inject.. I always make sure I got decent neutral undies on to compliment the tastefull tattoo on my thigh... It takes everyone's mind off the needle... :p

Reactions: 10 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Injecting through clothes ?

Once saw a gentleman do this wearing a cotton shirt .
He must have hit a capillary blood vessel as a dark area
of blood appeared on his cotton shirt .
Looked a "right mess" and only served to draw MORE
negative attention to himself .

Made it look far worse than needs to be ...
Dark red area puddle of blood on his shirt 'ugh'

He is a lover of alcohol and already lost half a foot .
Wouldn't quit the excessive alcohol despite being pleaded
to do so by his diabetes care team .
His missus had divorced him - this is why he drank he yet 'still' claims .

Nope I wouldn't recommend injecting through your clothes !

Just subtle method of slip waist band down a little discreetly
and inject quietly wherever I am - works well with me .

D

Deleted member 83869

I'm not going to comment too much or il wind myself up again ha! I wouldn't think twice about doing it though...it's crazy!!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a convenient hole on the outer seam of my PJ bottoms which comes in useful for basaling. Might adapt this to more clothes lol

Reactions: 9 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a convenient hole on the outer seam of my PJ bottoms which comes in useful for basaling. Might adapt this to more clothes lol

I was getting really fed-up with not being able to wear dresses as I couldn't get to my stomach to bolus, so my mum opened a couple of inches of the side seam of some of my dresses and made a little flap of material that just opens with Velcro. It sounds odd, but you can't see it when it's closed and it gives me access to inject!

Smidge

Reactions: 10 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bad idea, I think. As Noblehead said, it's not very hygienic. Also, there's the possibility of blunting or damaging the needle, meaning your dose will be much less accurate than you anticipate.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Well that's understandable but was it out of laziness? I'm just so annoyed how I could be the villain in this? I really shouldn't let things get to me so easily and just stick to this forum! Ha!

You are not the villian at all. It's the mindless morons that post this crass garbage that are out of order.
From Forest Gump :- Stupid is, stupid does :rolleyes: :wideyed:
A good one nicola is " Sorry, did you say something important then, because I dozed off" ;)

Take care RRB

Last edited by a moderator:

iHs

Must admit that in cold weather and needing to do a bolus, Ive injected through my t shirt and have been ok. Its better than non complying which causes loads of problems including DKA.