High bms and low mood

samantha13

Are high blood sugar levels linked to low mood? I've found at times when my levels are high I feel nervy fearful tearful down stressed. I was wondering is it my high bs causing these feelings or is it my feelings causing my high bs??

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are high blood sugar levels linked to low mood? I've found at times when my levels are high I feel nervy fearful tearful down stressed. I was wondering is it my high bs causing these feelings or is it my feelings causing my high bs??

A number of people have reported this sort of thing, but really it doesn't matter if the mood is the chicken or the egg, the message has to be to work on the bloods and in all likelihood your mood will lift.

At what sort of levels are you finding these feeling happen?

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes high BS could be causing stress etc.

Also seeing that you have high BS could de-motivate you and give you a low mood. Again stress could also be causing the high BS.

Are you under any stress at the moment which might be causing the High BS?

samantha13

Yes I'm under a lot of stress atm. I tend to start feeling like this at 12mmols plus but I have at times reached 18mmols. I take some correction insulin and try to relax but it in itself is stressful

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I'm under a lot of stress atm. I tend to start feeling like this at 12mmols plus but I have at times reached 18mmols. I take some correction insulin and try to relax but it in itself is stressful

Do you watch your diet at all?

samantha13

Yes I have quite a good diet I feel. I've been diabetic type 1 for 5years and have lost 3 stone recently. I've also suffered from anxiety and depression the past 8 years so I'm just trying to get a good way to work with both I suppose

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I have quite a good diet I feel. I've been diabetic type 1 for 5years and have lost 3 stone recently. I've also suffered from anxiety and depression the past 8 years so I'm just trying to get a good way to work with both I suppose

Well done on the weight loss, that will have helped everything. On your diet, do you limit your carbs at all? I found the peaks and troughs in my scores smoothed out enormously. Sometimes that roller coaster profile can influence mood.

(Stress is never going to be helpful but you know that already!)

samantha13

I have been thinking about low carb high fat. I'll maybe go a step further and give it a go! Thanks for taking the time with me this morn

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been thinking about low carb high fat. I'll maybe go a step further and give it a go! Thanks for taking the time with me this morn

Likely all lifestyle modification, it takes a bit or working through and tweaking to sort out what works, but many of us find it does work. I don't deliberately load up on fat, as my years of indoctrination in the low-fat way too some breaking! I just have enough fat to ensure I enjoy me meals, don't get too hungry between meals and maintain my weight (initially I lost a fair bit, and am now in the low end of the healthy weight BMI).

There are loads of meal ideas and lots of support available on this website (as you probably know), so there's no need to feel lost or overwhelmed by it all. We've all asked lots of questions. Why re-invent the wheel?

Good luck.

Ilana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Samantha,
I'm sorry to hear about your depression. I was depressed before I realised I had T1 because it wasn't diagnosed for a long time after I started having the symptoms, which was at the time I had high blood sugar.
But now I'm diagnosed my blood sugars probably never get nearly as high. I also feel bad when my sugars go high now but not until they're about 14mmol, I usually get a headache and have sore muscles and can't concentrate on school work so I get quite frustrated and irritable, and my family know to stay well away from me :p is this similar to you? I'm also interested to know!

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just want to say how much I admire all th young folk that are dealing with diabetes well done to all of you
Love Jan (an elderly fairly new diabetic)

Reactions: 2 people

rach36rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had type 1 diabetes for 25 years and I struggle a lot with high blood sugar I feel hungry all the time and try to take enough insulin to accommodate this but recently I feel in a very low mood with my high blood sugars and feel like crying a lot but I always feel that my friends don't understand

EmmaRose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For the past few weeks iv been exactly the same! Iv just finished my 2nd year of uni and with all the stress of the end of the year, my blood sugars rose. It feels like a vicious circle of getting upset because of high sugar levels which in itself sends them higher.
But as others said I guess it doesn't particularly matter which comes first, the main aim is bringing levels down! Which I'm finding difficult and stressful (sending sugars up) !

Hope you feel better soon !