Lone working and Diabetes

Dee2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wasps..seafood..stray dogs
Hi :) ..a quick question ..has anyone that works for an employer been told that they can no longer work alone because they have diabetes?
Many thanks

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup since diagnosed T1 I can no longer work on site alone. On the rare occasion that I HAVE to then I must radio into the control room every 15 minutes. Seems a bit pathetic but that's the rules! Industry set, not specific to my company

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I will often go to the office to catch up on accounts whilst the business is closed, so do work alone on occasion. Never bothered me and not a problem. Should my hypo awareness signs start to deteriorate, or had episodes where I needed assistance I would re think things. I always carry qa glucose with me should I need it.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

onthegow

My work tried that but I put up resistance providing I keep myself safe. Should not be a problem but I'm sure they are just looking out for you. I would re think if I had issues.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm allowed alone in the office, it's purely on site (or offshore, but I'm not even allowed offshore for the moment)

lynde89

My employer has no problem with it, I have never been on site alone though. Normally being on site involves attending meetings, doing walk rounds, supervising, snagging etc so I am never on my own, & usually with someone else from our office. In the office is not a problem & I will be working some weekends there soon (most likely alone) to make up for taking time for DAFNE.

kazzyrf

I work in the care industry and work one to one with the people i support. They are all aware of my condition and would call someone if they felt i was "not myself". My colleagues are aware of where i should be at all times as we all carry a rota so if i dont arrive at a call they would be made aware. As long as i look after myself and attend all my check ups my empolyers are happy for me to carry on as i did before i was diagnosed :)

A

Anonymous

brett said:
I will often go to the office to catch up on accounts whilst the business is closed, so do work alone on occasion. Never bothered me and not a problem. Should my hypo awareness signs start to deteriorate, or had episodes where I needed assistance I would re think things. I always carry qa glucose with me should I need it.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

When I was working in an office, there always had to be another person on the premises. I'm sure this was a 'elf and safety' matter, irrespective of whether you are a diabetic. Obviously, it's more difficult if someone is making house calls etc. but it might make sense to have a phone no. to hand just in case.

ElleDee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Dislikes
Having diabetes :-(
Most companies will enforce non lone working if your diabetic, this isn't discriminating against you moreso protecting themselves should anything happen.

Reactions: 2 people

redmate

Hi I found out I had type two about three years ago after a **** up by doc :( when I spoke to my hr department I was told if any type of diabetic you are automatically not allowed to single man unless your doc says ok to do so and writes letter (to cover company if something went wrong) But they changing minds. Does anyone know which way it is? Thanks

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm T2 and an employer
I think they are being overcautious but unfortunately in these days of where's there's blame there's a claim that's the way we have to be.
The HSE has a PDF available online called working alone which covers this subject and whilst working alone is not illegal the employer and the employee have a duty of care to each other.

Reactions: 2 people

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Never, I've often pulled 12 hour shifts on my own without any other employee of the company being with me on location - longest shift I pulled was a triple from 7am till 10pm (bad mistake - went hypo n didn't know it till I was closing up and finally got around to testing, i'd gone most of the day without a break of any sort because my relief never showed up).

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it's OHS, duty of care and all that stuff, if they let a known insulin dependant work alone, they could lay themselves open for a prosecution or claim. if bad stuff happens

Janine22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's funny I work in nhs and was diagnosed type 1 last year. Around May time I started having overnight hypos which really knocked my confidence and has led to me having quite slot of stress and anxiety. My managers haven't been the most helpful at all. I work in a department that has lone working but I can be put in clinics with others so I am not lone working.

Due to my anxieties about being on my own after hypos I asked my managers if I could be placed in clinics with colleagues and have been told that this is not possible that I have to be seen to be doing all aspects of the job. I would be seeing the same type of pts and doing the same job only in clinics with someone else rather than on my own.

Due to them pushing me to be loan working I have now been started on propanolol as was taking panic attacks at work and am now off work today as have now got to the point I cannot face going into work. I feel they are pushing me to be off rather than supporting to be at work.

Janine

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Lone working not allowed by my employer, diabetic or not!

Last edited by a moderator:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Can I get a job where you work? My employer just forced lone working on me and did away with my previous role :-(
Within commuting distance of Crawley?

steb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i've just been diagnosed as type 2 this week, and still getting used to the medication. i am often required to work alone (today for instance). my employer has asked me to work bank holiday monday at the shop, but there will be nobody else working that day , even at the office. we arent issued mobiles and the phone system is internal. should i refuse?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
i've just been diagnosed as type 2 this week, and still getting used to the medication. i am often required to work alone (today for instance). my employer has asked me to work bank holiday monday at the shop, but there will be nobody else working that day , even at the office. we arent issued mobiles and the phone system is internal. should i refuse?

What med's are you on? Is it making you feel unwell? Are you required to operate machinery?

I wouldn't have thought that lone working would be an issue for the majority of T2's and if you are working alone today, then why would bank holiday Monday be any different in principal?

steb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What med's are you on? Is it making you feel unwell? Are you required to operate machinery?

I wouldn't have thought that lone working would be an issue for the majority of T2's and if you are working alone today, then why would bank holiday Monday be any different in principal?
not operating machinery. the meds are metformin and zicron, and they have been making me a little unwell (i'll probably get used to them). the difference between today and bank holiday monday is somebody working at our other shop in phone contact.