Has anyone completed a triathlon?

nick-o

Hi all,

I'm usual a stalker on these forums, much more reading than contributing, but, new year, new me! Having said that, my first post is rather a selfish contribution. I've been diabetic since I was 4, I'm now 33 and a pretty active guy, exercising at least four times a week. Last summer I joined a local triathlon club and yesterday I signed up for the Windsor Triathlon. This morning I was walking through the logistics in my head and am seeking advice, has anyone completed an olympic distance triathlon? If yes, what did you do insulin / food wise?!!

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Nick

Great you've set yourself a target!
Sounds like you're well on the way if you're already fit and active. How have you been managing your BG's, insulin/food so far? You must have learnt a lot already.
I don't know how many triathlon folk are on the forum - hopefully someone will pitch up soon to offer advice. Meanwhile you could always take a quick look at www.teambloodglucose.com and follow the link to join the Sporty Diabetic Type 1's Facebook group as I know there are a number of members there who are avid Triathloners (My newly made up word!).
You may also wish to get in touch with a pretty cool guy who has done triathlons and is super supportive and knowledgable - he is already in the Facebook group and may be able to help.
http://www.teambloodglucose.com/TeamBG/Andy_Woolfson.html
Good luck with training. :)

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey!

The runsweet website is a good resource for athletes with diabetes.

http://www.runsweet.com

I don't have experience of being in training whilst managing diabetes as I was only diagnosed with type 1 two years ago whilst pregnant and am pregnant again now. However I intend to get myself fit again after this one is born and considering tackling triathlons.

bluepotter81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Nick

I am also 33 with Type 1. I've completed several triathlons (including Ironman, 70.3 and Olympics) so I understand where you are.

I was always using Lantus at night and Novorapid during the day when I completed these (I've very recently moved to the pump).

Anyway, I reduced my evening Lantus by about 25% and I took only 1 unit of Novorapid before doing an Olympic distance. I usually took 8 units of Novo with breakfast. My body is quite responsive to insulin when exercising hence big dose reductions.

I did find that my sugars went very high at the start but gradually went down. I would recommend eating Clif Shot Blocs - one of these at the start of the run helped.

Thanks

nickoedwards

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fantastic, thanks for the replies. I always find it interesting learning what others do. Thanks for the tips.