New Year, New LCHF Me

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@AndBreathe

I am doing much better, finally paid for Wi-Fi at the hospital. I'm still at the hospital with what I think is my last lot of blood tests tomorrow morning. Not only were my blood sugar levels high, but I got told that I was suffering from hyponatramia. My blood sugar levels have been slowly coming down and my last blood sugar reading was 11.8. What I've been eating so far is mainly weetabix, porridge, fish and chips, salads, cheese and pickle sandwiches, sugar free jelly and one cheeky helping of apple crumble and custard.

My gut is feeling much better, a lot less gassy and I've been prescribed slow release metformin. Also it has been an eyeopener at the hospital as I'm with other type 2 diabetics and everytime the tea trolley arrives they always ask for sugar in their drinks even though their blood sugar levels are high from overhearing conversations.

Hopefully I should be discharged tomorrow, but I'm not counting on it as I should have been out on Thursday.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe

I am doing much better, finally paid for Wi-Fi at the hospital. I'm still at the hospital with what I think is my last lot of blood tests tomorrow morning. Not only were my blood sugar levels high, but I got told that I was suffering from hyponatramia. My blood sugar levels have been slowly coming down and my last blood sugar reading was 11.8. What I've been eating so far is mainly weetabix, porridge, fish and chips, salads, cheese and pickle sandwiches, sugar free jelly and one cheeky helping of apple crumble and custard.

My gut is feeling much better, a lot less gassy and I've been prescribed slow release metformin. Also it has been an eyeopener at the hospital as I'm with other type 2 diabetics and everytime the tea trolley arrives they always ask for sugar in their drinks even though their blood sugar levels are high from overhearing conversations.

Hopefully I should be discharged tomorrow, but I'm not counting on it as I should have been out on Thursday.

I'm pleased you're feeling better. It's always a worry when someone goes "missing in action".

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm pleased you're feeling better. It's always a worry when someone goes "missing in action".

I've felt better for 2 days now, but because of my low sodium levels the doctors have kept me in. Plus I've not been on my own as my friends at uni have been keeping me company and making sure I'm drinking plenty of water.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've felt better for 2 days now, but because of my low sodium levels the doctors have kept me in. Plus I've not been on my own as my friends at uni have been keeping me company and making sure I'm drinking plenty of water.

Do they think the hyponatraemia was caused by the very high sugars?

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Do they think the hyponatraemia was caused by the very high sugars?

Yes they do as the doctors said I had hypertonic hyponatraemia, which is where the water is drawn to the glucose through resorption. The doctors that have put me back on gliclizides 80mg one twice a day and S-R metformin 500mg two twice a day. I am still taking the Lixisenatide and ramipril.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes they do as the doctors said I had hypertonic hyponatraemia, which is where the water is drawn to the glucose through resorption. The doctors that have put me back on gliclizides 80mg one twice a day and S-R metformin 500mg two twice a day. I am still taking the Lixisenatide and ramipril.

Looks like you can't get away with skirting around the edges of this thing.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm leaving the hospital later today. got to have my bloods tested in a week and to drink plenty of fluids. Also my dietitian has advised me to stick with LCHF and if I have any problems with my medication, I should contact hEric first before contacting my gp.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I'm leaving the hospital later today. got to have my bloods tested in a week and to drink plenty of fluids. Also my dietitian has advised me to stick with LCHF and if I have any problems with my medication, I should contact hEric first before contacting my gp.

Excellent. I am so pleased you're getting "official" support with your low carbing. It's no fun battling diabetes and officialdom.

I don't know how you were eating before you went into hospital, but I hope you have taken this event as a big, big warning of the fire you may have been playing with? We all know it's hard, but it's my belief that the consequences of non-compliance are far more serious than the pain in the rear of not being able to eat donuts/bread/chips, or whatever your most favourite things were.

Please make sure you keep coming on to pick up the support this place will give you. Making changes to your life can be a lonely thing, and I imagine living in an environment with young, apparently fit people, who seem to spend all their free time abusing their bodies must make your enforced healthy eating seem a chore, but I can't imagine hospital has been a breeze either.

Are you going back to halls, or home for a few days?

Reactions: 3 people

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going back to halls after going to aldi to do a food shop as it's just opposite the hospital and i asked my flatmates to chuck out my food that I have in that has gone out of date. My eating before hospital was caused by me always taking my wallet everywhere I go and popping into shops and buying food, even though I already have food in to eat.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going back to halls after going to aldi to do a food shop as it's just opposite the hospital and i asked my flatmates to chuck out my food that I have in that has gone out of date. My eating before hospital was caused by me always taking my wallet everywhere I go and popping into shops and buying food, even though I already have food in to eat.

Honestly, one of the best things I did, early on in all of this, was to buy a pack of small, and very small clip top containers. That loows me to just grab something from the fridge to keep me going, if required.

For example, I had to go out, unexpectedly, on Friday to run an important errand, which had to happen at a certain time, with no notice. I just grabbed a little pot, put a handful of salted peanuts and a couple of Babybel cheeses in there and dashed out of the door. Once I had got to where I needed to be, and picked up the object, I just sat in the car park and ate my lunch. Aside from some salad leaves, it was the lunch I'd have had at home. It's good to have a couple of grab and go ideas which have good shelf life and won't go disgusting when out of the fridge for a couple of hours.

Have you written yourself a quick list? (I think Aldi do multi-packs of Babybel. I know Lidl do.)

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Is there a pound stretcher nearby?
Some great pork crackling snacks in there in plain black and white packaging like the old no frills stuff.
Virtually no carbs all fat.
Great snack that fills you up that bit longer.

Reactions: 2 people

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Honestly, one of the best things I did, early on in all of this, was to buy a pack of small, and very small clip top containers. That loows me to just grab something from the fridge to keep me going, if required.

For example, I had to go out, unexpectedly, on Friday to run an important errand, which had to happen at a certain time, with no notice. I just grabbed a little pot, put a handful of salted peanuts and a couple of Babybel cheeses in there and dashed out of the door. Once I had got to where I needed to be, and picked up the object, I just sat in the car park and ate my lunch. Aside from some salad leaves, it was the lunch I'd have had at home. It's good to have a couple of grab and go ideas which have good shelf life and won't go disgusting when out of the fridge for a couple of hours.

Have you written yourself a quick list? (I think Aldi do multi-packs of Babybel. I know Lidl do.)

@AndBreathe I went to aldi and they were out of babybel cheese, but I did get myself some laughing cow triangle cheese. Also I spotted some frikadellen's for £1.89 for 5 and they have a good a shelf life and can be eaten as a cold snack or as a bunless cheese burger. The good thing about it is that each one has 20g of fat, 12g of protein, but it has 7.2g of carbs which I don't know is good or bad.

Also in Aldi I was browsing at what fruit to get for my nutribullet etc was clueless so I bought a bit of everything such as apples, berries, bananas, kiwis, citrus fruit, grapes etc.The idea is to have a refreshing breakfast smoothie (Greek yogurt with a mixture bag of linseeds, goji berries, sunflower and pumpkin seeds)with a boiled egg that will sustain my hunger till lunch and then either have another nutriblast drink or a salad.

Is there a pound stretcher nearby?
Some great pork crackling snacks in there in plain black and white packaging like the old no frills stuff.
Virtually no carbs all fat.
Great snack that fills you up that bit longer.

@JACKTHELAD There is no pound stretcher nearby, but I do have a corner shop that sells pork crackling bags for 40p and they are my new favourite snack.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What is wrong with me. I am so angry with myself. Totally suffering from bad carbs cravings and just gave in by having a strawberry nutrigrain bar and a diet coke from a shop and still have a sweet and nutty nature valley peanut bar. I feel like I have no control of my urges.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Next time your standing in the shop or even kitchen, about to eat or buy things you know are bad. Just pause and close your eyes. Think what it would be like to be blind...............harsh but maybe that will motivate you to healthier choices!

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried it. Im seeing a counselor tomorrow and for the next few weeks.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is wrong with me. I am so angry with myself. Totally suffering from bad carbs cravings and just gave in by having a strawberry nutrigrain bar and a diet coke from a shop and still have a sweet and nutty nature valley peanut bar. I feel like I have no control of my urges.

I appreciate carb cravings are vile, but when you have such a craving, could you try something like a teaspoon of peanut butter or some cheese, or even sugar free jelly with cream?

Ok you might end up consuming a lot of calories for a few days and impact any weight loss you could be achieving, but, once the cravings subside you could really concentrate on building a low carb lifestyle.

As a matter of interest, did you have a fruit smoothie this morning? Looking at your list of potential ingredients, it struck me as very fruit heavy and therefore carby. That could be contributing to your cravings.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I appreciate carb cravings are vile, but when you have such a craving, could you try something like a teaspoon of peanut butter or some cheese, or even sugar free jelly with cream?

Ok you might end up consuming a lot of calories for a few days and impact any weight loss you could be achieving, but, once the cravings subside you could really concentrate on building a low carb lifestyle.

As a matter of interest, did you have a fruit smoothie this morning? Looking at your list of potential ingredients, it struck me as very fruit heavy and therefore carby. That could be contributing to your cravings.

I've just had a snack of olives and ham with salsa and ok. The olives had a strong taste and I used the salsa to sort of mask the taste of the olives.

I did not have a fruit smoothie this morning as I woke up late and rushed to uni this morning. During the break I had myself a bacon sub from Subway with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, sliced pickles, olives, peppers and topped off with mayonnaise. The staff their looked at me funny as I was only eating the filling, then I binned the sub and walked off with my diet coke.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just had a snack of olives and ham with salsa and ok. The olives had a strong taste and I used the salsa to sort of mask the taste of the olives.

I did not have a fruit smoothie this morning as I woke up late and rushed to uni this morning. During the break I had myself a bacon sub from Subway with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, sliced pickles, olives, peppers and topped off with mayonnaise. The staff their looked at me funny as I was only eating the filling, then I binned the sub and walked off with my diet coke.

Excellent, well done. And we'll done getting straight back to uni having been quite unwell.

Unfortunately, the only way to get through the carb cravings is to stick with the low carb, but I think you know that. For mornings, like this morning, this is when I find my little clip top pots invaluable. Open fridge, grab Babybel (quantity variable!), a bag of peanuts, and RUN!! I know I always have a grab and run snack to hand.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well my friends are enthusiastic about me being back and wanting to change and some of them want to help me do that and one of them has type 2 diabetes in his family and I've asked for his help with low carbing and he agrees with me. The only thing is that he has suggested not to eat fat, but to eat protein if I want to lose weight and have good BG levels.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my friends are enthusiastic about me being back and wanting to change and some of them want to help me do that and one of them has type 2 diabetes in his family and I've asked for his help with low carbing and he agrees with me. The only thing is that he has suggested not to eat fat, but to eat protein if I want to lose weight and have good BG levels.

He needs to read Dr Trudi Deakin's new book, http://www.xperthealth.org.uk/shop/details/p/handbook-lowcarb-highfat-lifestyle

It's brief and full of good info.