Facebook, the good, the bad or the ugly ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thought a thread could be started on the infamous FB, any thoughts ?

Reactions: 2 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not a fan of any of the social media sites
If people want to join them that's there prerogative but it seems to me that they are all getting more invasive on the whole so many other sites or apps require you to be a member of one or the other these days.
Nope not for me.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The good is the fact that people can stay in touch with friends and family, the bad and the ugly is the nastiness and bullying that can often take place on these social media sites.

Reactions: 8 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found that one of the bad things about FB is that people do stay in touch with friends and family, but only on FB, it becomes a substitute for real life meetings. That's sad. And yes the bullying can be quite extreme.

Reactions: 6 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The good is the fact that people can stay in touch with friends and family, the bad and the ugly is the nastiness and bullying that can often take place on these social media sites.
I agree with @noblehead , yet sometimes friends and even some family members use bad language and say nasty things about in-laws etc; which is not called for. ( there is ways you can remove or delete unwanted garbage )
Nevertheless I have discovered many good things about family history and photos etc;
" I suppose a bad workman blames his tools and a good workman knows how to use them " I know bull***t.:)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Our technology is increasing lonliness.
I read a good article about it .... see if I can find it later.
Virtual contact is no substitute for the real thing ... can be handy but can all so easily become the only contact.
It's also having the affect of people speaking to thers in ways they never would in real life but .... it's sp[illing over into real life.
People are becoming less and less tolerant of others .... even close others.
People are ceasing to care.
We are in the age of self and technology is magnifying that.
Why the need to take and post so many selfies?
Self self self is slowly taking over the psyche.
Why the need to say you went shopping you didn't go shopping you got some shoes you need a break etc etc.
Endless mindless trivia that no one is remotely interested in.
They are more interested in how they can reply.
It's eating people alive this technology by wayof dumbing people down to trivia being the most imortant aspects of day to day life.

Anyone wants to flame me shoot me down etc I really don't mind so I won't be reporting any flak to the mods.

Reactions: 10 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Our technology is increasing lonliness.
I read a good article about it .... see if I can find it later.
Virtual contact is no substitute for the real thing ... can be handy but can all so easily become the only contact.
It's also having the affect of people speaking to thers in ways they never would in real life but .... it's sp[illing over into real life.
People are becoming less and less tolerant of others .... even close others.
People are ceasing to care.
We are in the age of self and technology is magnifying that.
Why the need to take and post so many selfies?
Self self self is slowly taking over the psyche.
Why the need to say you went shopping you didn't go shopping you got some shoes you need a break etc etc.
Endless mindless trivia that no one is remotely interested in.
They are more interested in how they can reply.
It's eating people alive this technology by wayof dumbing people down to trivia being the most imortant aspects of day to day life.

Anyone wants to flame me shoot me down etc I really don't mind so I won't be reporting any flak to the mods.

Love it !!!! 100% correct JTL :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don't think self is anything new, it is simply much easier for self to be the be all and end all rather than previously where self ultimately resulted in death, as without community it was almost impossible to survive. I think technology is just an outlet for what has become a fundamental change in society.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hasn't this topic really been done to death on the other thread? Do we need to flood the forum with threads to discourage new people? I'd be interested to see what the traffic has been on the forum over the last 60 hours, analysed to reveal the proportion of supporting versus objection posts.

I appreciate people are unhappy. The Management have stated they are looking at it. We have to give them time to investigate and consider what, if anything can be done to accommodate people's concerns. And let's not forget this is actually a weekend. The decision makers of this forum will be employees, not volunteer moderators, and the employees will be at home, with their families, doing important things this weekend. To expect them to be doing anything else is, I believe, unreasonable. I expect they will have quite a bit of email to contend with tomorrow morning though.

I'm not trying to be disruptive, but aren't we losing some perspective here? Points don't become more valid if we keep repeating them.

[sigh]

Reactions: 5 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I thought general chat was .... well general chat.

Reactions: 4 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I use facebook to keep in touch with distant relatives, people i used to work with and friends. I also use it to buy and sell things locally. Very handy.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found that one of the bad things about FB is that people do stay in touch with friends and family, but only on FB, it becomes a substitute for real life meetings. That's sad. And yes the bullying can be quite extreme.
The one's I keep in touch with are in USA and Australia, I do agree with you and I don't face book my family hear in England and in Scotland.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to say, facebook is free, as soon as it cost, by by FB
Also in the old days it was "what is written is written" nowadays "seeing is believing" the choice is there. take it or leave it.
images

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hasn't this topic really been done to death on the other thread? Do we need to flood the forum with threads to discourage new people? I'd be interested to see what the traffic has been on the forum over the last 60 hours, analysed to reveal the proportion of supporting versus objection posts.

I appreciate people are unhappy. The Management have stated they are looking at it. We have to give them time to investigate and consider what, if anything can be done to accommodate people's concerns. And let's not forget this is actually a weekend. The decision makers of this forum will be employees, not volunteer moderators, and the employees will be at home, with their families, doing important things this weekend. To expect them to be doing anything else is, I believe, unreasonable. I expect they will have quite a bit of email to contend with tomorrow morning though.

I'm not trying to be disruptive, but aren't we losing some perspective here? Points don't become more valid if we keep repeating them.

[sigh]

Well AB, I am so sorry you find the thread so negative, I thought it was better ? to move away from daniTI thread as he expressed his concern in posting, nothing more nothing less. So sorry you had to add a sigh AB, and it is not about turning newbies away :eek: it's NOT about diabetes, as I put in on the in General, section it's about FB. in general.

Guys, if you dislike the thread, find it boring or repetitive, then by all means ignore it and more on........................
and yes, I am now sighing at this post :( :wideyed:

regards RRB

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Good that people get the best out of FB because by all means it aint all bad.
Anyone use Skype?
It's got a new competitor
The latest version of Firefox has a wee bit where you just type some ones email address in and if there online and also have firefox .... you'r request is recieved they accept and your having a video chat .... that fast that simple.
Not tried it yet but sounds great .... and no phone charges.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Try and prevent circular posts on this subject - it 'has' done the rounds already .

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why can't they just use the phone or email to keep in touch. There are even clouds now where you can store photos so that families can catch up on their families progress through photos and is a lot more private than FB.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Why can't they just use the phone or email to keep in touch. There are even clouds now where you can store photos so that families can catch up on their families progress through photos and is a lot more private than FB.
True that.
It seems to be fashionable to post all manner of stuff on Facebook and then complain others have seen it.
I have a son of forty years old who behaves like some ones broken into the Pentagon should someone read his stuff who ..... shouldn't.
It's also dead simple to make a forum or blog for free and have it public or private.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Its peoples personal preference as to how they stay in touch.

Reactions: 6 people