Recommendations for a blood and ketone tester?

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't tested ketones for years, but now I'm on a pump my nurse is insisting. She gave me a Glucomen LX Plus to use instead of my Freestyle Insulinx. I HATE IT! About 20% of my tests end in an "E-4" error, wasting a shocking number of strips and making me bleed more and more. My arms look like they're covered in an awful rash because of the number of times I've had to draw blood. And don't get me started on the horrible lancet device with TEETH, which claims to be "virtually pain free"...! I'm using my Insulinx lancet with it.

Anyway I'm going to ask for a different meter when I have my next appointment. Any suggestions for one which does both? I would love to go back to my Insulinx but don't want to carry two meters around everywhere I go.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have the LX Plus for ketone testing but use the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert for testing bg, all the Accu-Chek meters are very good, also the Contour USB is a great little meter.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The Abbott Freestyle Optium Neo does both blood and ketones. I've not had any issues with it.

Reactions: 4 people

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can get the Optium Neo free from Abbott at the moment. The kit contains 25 BG strips, but no ketone strips. I don't do ketone testing very often, but the BG strips require a lot more blood than the Freestyle Lite strips used in the Insulinx. Personally I would continue to use the Insulinx for BG and get an Optium Neo for ketones. After all you won't be testing for ketones very often, so there is probably not much need to carry two meters.

Reactions: 2 people

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks all. I bleed quite well as long as I warm up the skin before testing, so I will give the Optium a go. Once my BGs have settled I think I will go back to the Insulinx, I got on really well with it. At the moment I'm ketone testing several times a day.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just started on a pump and it'll take a while to get my dosages right. Until then I'm checking ketones whenever BG is over 13.9, to make sure I don't go into DKA.
As per other thread, if correction doses are not having any effect, change the infusion set and insulin reservoir.

You are doing the right thing by checking ketones when your BG is persistently high.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am interested in ketone testing for a ketosis diet. I already have a Code Free for BG testing. Is the Optium Neo the best value meter that can do ketones?

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi vit90 it looks likely. You can get one on ebay for a tenner and 10 strips for £8.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also found The Abbott Freestyle Optium to be EXCELLENT.
Hi Pasha

I hope you don't mind me asking and certainly understand if you'd rather not say but do you have to buy your own ketone strips or do you get them on prescription. I am trying to source the cheapest self funded option for t2 diabetic.

Many thanks - much appreciated.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Pasha

I hope you don't mind me asking and certainly understand if you'd rather not say but do you have to buy your own ketone strips or do you get them on prescription. I am trying to source the cheapest self funded option for t2 diabetic.

Many thanks - much appreciated.

Hi @ Baruney,

I am only too glad to answer you, but I am not English or even living in the UK.
I need to buy my Ketone strips on my account and know that they are quite expensive. Australia is the country with the cheapest available Ketone strips and luckily I have a brother there who helps me out.
Sorry for not being able to help more.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ Baruney,

I am only too glad to answer you, but I am not English or even living in the UK.
I need to buy my Ketone strips on my account and know that they are quite expensive. Australia is the country with the cheapest available Ketone strips and luckily I have a brother there who helps me out.
Sorry for not being able to help more.
Quite the opposite Pasha that info is very useful as the cheapest place including postage I've been able to find them in Australia ebay.

Cheers.

Reactions: 2 people