Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't mind posting my story...when I was diagnosed, getting on for fourteen years ago, my HbA1c was 16 point something...at that time I followed what I was told as that was all I knew....eatwell plate, plenty of carbs, so that's what I did but I did cut my calories...guess what I improved but it came to a standstill....I found this site a couple of years ago and decided to follow LCHF.....I am so daft that I thought the HF part of LCHF meant high fat, didn't realise it just meant 'full fat' [I do think that should be explained to new members who may be thick like me!]....when I did that's how I started eating, my HbA1c is now 6.3 and I feel much better [still need to improve it!], have loads more energy, wow you should see me do my seafront walk, I couldn't have done it a couple of years ago....my weight is till much the same, would love to lose a stone/stone and a half [other medication which makes it difficult] but I feel SO MUCH BETTER!

@Pipp , please don't go, your posts are valuable.

It is not daft to think HF means High fat, though. Especially if you are directed to the dietdoctor site which tells you to eat all you like of full fat dairy foods such as cheese and cream etc. It is confusing.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp I have been rethinking my own problems with losing weight so this may be only relevant to me. I think one of the things I did wrong when I increased fats was to have too much of foods like cheese and therefore maybe too much protein. This time round I am going to be more careful just to add fats. Like I said that's just me though.

Reactions: 4 people
G

graj0

I'm not sure this is true with me, though it's too soon in my experiment to say for sure. As I said earlier I am now doing VLCHF without counting calories, (before that I did LCHF 1200 calories). So far the extra fat is not stopping me from losing weight, but ideally I need to stick to this and report back in 3 months to know for sure.
I'll start counting my calories now so I know how many calories I am having, but I won't restrict them at all.....and I'll let you know.:)

I was eating about 1800 calories a day wondering how to get down to the 800 calories a day recommended by my endocrinologist. When I stopped the obvious carbs I also noticed that I didn't feel as hungry as before and on my "Weight by Date" software I can see that my calorie intake dropped to 1000 or less, but probably more important is the amount of carbs that I had been eating. I can see instantly just looking at a single day before I dropped the carbs that I was consuming about 800 cals worth of carbs at least, 2 slices Hovis Multiseed breakfast 224, 2 Oatmeal rolls for lunch 350, 1 banana 200. That's not a lot of food as it was a breakfast and a lunch and a snack, just 770 calories. Even I'm amazed having just checked it out. Useful bit of software, my "weight by date". So, I think in my case, I'd have to go some to make up the calorie deficit with fat. In fact reducing carbs makes even more sense now. I didn't have any potato/rice/pasta that day either, otherwise . . . . . .

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp I have been rethinking my own problems with losing weight so this may be only relevant to me. I think one of the things I did wrong when I increased fats was to have too much of foods like cheese and therefore maybe too much protein. This time round I am going to be more careful just to add fats. Like I said that's just me though.

Ok, thanks.

Seems like I have been tempted back into the thread ;)

Maybe it needs to be made more clear then that HIGH fat in LCHF does not really mean HIGH?

There is another thread started yesterday by someone else confused. Hardly surprising when advocates of LCHF talk of 'fat bombs', 'bullet proof coffee' etc, and the diet doctor site mentions snacks of cheese with butter, and to 'eat when hungry until you are satisfied'.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It depends if you are losing or maintaining your weight
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkQYZ6FbsmI
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KYYnEAYCGk
upload_2015-1-25_21-41-31.png

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I have been following a Lchf diet properly since October last year. Initially I lost a stone in weight very quickly, now I am struggling to loose weight. That said the upside is that I have very good control of my bs. My last diabetic test saw me down to 46 and this included my being on holiday for 3 weeks in the usa. So I plan to continue on the lchf path. I have recently adjusted the ratios of my diet so that I am restricting the amount of protein and calories and this seems to be helping a little. Since January I have lost 3.5 lbs but this includes the 2lbs I put on over Christmas.

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been low carbing for about a week ( :p ) because I've just started a pump on deliberately low dosages, and my sugars have been running high since the beginning. I've been feeling ill enough as it is without eating things that will cause it to rise more.

I've been tracking my foods on LiveStrong to see what % of calories are coming from carbs/protein/fat and I've discovered I'm hovering at around 1,200 calories a day, even with eating as much as I want. I am very overweight (over-insulinised and permanently hungry...) and must usually average more like 2,800 ( :oops: ). So for as long as I follow this diet I'm sure I will lose weight, if only due to calorie intake.

I think I'm becoming a convert... the only thing I miss is crusty white bread and I don't feel hungry at all. I have tried many calorie-restricting and fat-restricting diets in the past. I have had temporary success but always put the weight back on, plus a little more. I think I am currently about 19 stone, though I gave up weighing myself years ago as it was too upsetting. I've never been on a 'diet' before that made me feel constantly full.

Reactions: 4 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, thanks.

Seems like I have been tempted back into the thread ;)

Maybe it needs to be made more clear then that HIGH fat in LCHF does not really mean HIGH?

There is another thread started yesterday by someone else confused. Hardly surprising when advocates of LCHF talk of 'fat bombs', 'bullet proof coffee' etc, and the diet doctor site mentions snacks of cheese with butter, and to 'eat when hungry until you are satisfied'.
High fat means you eat about 70-80E% fat.

And eating when hungry until you are full is very sensible.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
High fat means you eat about 70-80E% fat.

And eating when hungry until you are full is very sensible.
What if you never feel full?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Brunneria That kind of reflects what I've found. Without the exercise, LCHF seems to maintain weight at a normal calorie level, but I certainly don't lose. Even when I exercise I don't really lose much eating a normally calorie level. I have to make a concerted effort to reduce calories with a low carb eating plan if I want to lose weight and fat.

Not that I'm trying to lose weight, and my starting place wasn't massively overweight (BMI 25.7 was where I started), but just lchf with no control doesn't seem to have an enormous impact.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think for many people the description low carb high fat is a concern me included. For years I have ate what I considered to be healthy ie pasta, jacket potatoes, w/meal bread, low fat, low cal etc etc but only managed to maintain not reduce my weight. I was also concerned that the high fat element would have on my cholesterol. However once I decided to go for full fat ie eat what I used to but not the low fat versions and reduce carbs both my weight and cholesterol has reduced. I still read the amount of fat in foods and, if I think it's too high I don't have it even if it is the full fat version because I still have some weight to lose.

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I know that feeling. :( I get so annoyed when smug slim people say "fat people have no self control" or "fat people are just greedy". They have NO IDEA what it's like to feel permanently hungry. I'd challenge any of them to stay slim when faced with that kind of gnawing hunger, day in day out, for their whole lives.

When I reduce my insulin my hunger evaporates and I know what it feels like to be a 'normal' person who can eat a plate of food and not want to follow it up with some fruit, and chocolate, and then maybe some bread and jam, and then maybe a yoghurt...

Reactions: 3 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The beauty is that you do. LCHF tends to normalise a host of hormones, among them insuiln and leptin, thus also normalise hunger and satiety.

Why don't you give it a go?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The beauty is that you do. LCHF tends to normalise a host of hormones, among them insuiln and leptin, thus also normalise hunger and satiety.

Why don't you give it a go?

No, the beauty is that some do. Some do not ever feel is if they have had enough to eat, so the advice to eat fat until they have had enough does not help.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, the beauty is that some do. Some do not ever feel is if they have had enough to eat, so the advice to eat fat until they have had enough does not help.
But Pipp have you actually tried LCHF long enough to tell if it works or not?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I know that feeling. :( I get so annoyed when smug slim people say "fat people have no self control" or "fat people are just greedy". They have NO IDEA what it's like to feel permanently hungry. I'd challenge any of them to stay slim when faced with that kind of gnawing hunger, day in day out, for their whole lives.

When I reduce my insulin my hunger evaporates and I know what it feels like to be a 'normal' person who can eat a plate of food and not want to follow it up with some fruit, and chocolate, and then maybe some bread and jam, and then maybe a yoghurt...
I found this video very useful for getting my head around the carb/fat/cravings/insulin/fat storage connection :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I need a definition of exactly what is meant by LCHF, as people seem to interpret that differently.

Also, a definition of what it means to be able to tell if LCHF. Works or not.

From my signature, you will notice that I have had BG below diabetic range for 3+ years. 8 months without any diabetes meds. This is after previously having increasing BG and meds for over 6 years. So, does this mean I have found a regime that 'works' for me? If so, would I want to change that?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria That kind of reflects what I've found. Without the exercise, LCHF seems to maintain weight at a normal calorie level, but I certainly don't lose. Even when I exercise I don't really lose much eating a normally calorie level. I have to make a concerted effort to reduce calories with a low carb eating plan if I want to lose weight and fat.

Not that I'm trying to lose weight, and my starting place wasn't massively overweight (BMI 25.7 was where I started), but just lchf with no control doesn't seem to have an enormous impact.
Yes.

For me, it is all about insulin resistance.
Even if I weighed 7 stone I would still have insulin resistance (caused by medication, type 2 and poss PCOS).
And it's the insulin resistance that governs weight loss and The Hunger.
So the exercise is vital, because it lowers insulin resistance.

With the knock on effect on Hunger and energy levels.
So it is all good. :)

As I said before, I was Hungry ever second of my adult life, for 30+ years.
LCHF is like being on holiday. :happy:

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I need a definition of exactly what is meant by LCHF, as people seem to interpret that differently.

Also, a definition of what it means to be able to tell if LCHF. Works or not.

From my signature, you will notice that I have had BG below diabetic range for 3+ years. 8 months without any diabetes meds. This is after previously having increasing BG and meds for over 6 years. So, does this mean I have found a regime that 'works' for me? If so, would I want to change that?
But what are you doing in this thread then? You tried LCHF and it didn't work? In what way? Or you never tried LCHF?
I must admit I'm a bit confused.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I don't think that is possible.

Some people say it's eating 70-80% energy as fat.
Others say it is just eating more fat than the uk RDA of fat.
Other people fall somewhere in between.

And no one will ever agree.
Diet Doctor's ideas are quite prevalent, but he doesn't own the words 'fat' and 'high', so everyone is free to use them as they like.

Basically, everyone's HF is the quantity of HF that works for them.
Unless they dislike HF, in which case they use the term to mean 'disgusting lard eating greasy stab in the heart excess greed' but then, there's no point talking to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.