Travel insurance- do I need to tell?

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm type 2 and am diet controlling so not taking any medication.
Do I need to declare it when I renew my travel insurance?
Thanks!

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The trouble is if you don't and something needing medical attention occurs you have given the insurance co an instant get out clause.
Is it worth the risk for the small increase in cost

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm type 2 and am diet controlling so not taking any medication.
Do I need to declare it when I renew my travel insurance?
Thanks!

I doubt you would be charged anything. The potential cost, if not disclosed is, at best, a delay in the company settling any claim. If, at claim, they discover someone has something they haven't disclosed, they'll just spend time examining medical records t omake sure there isn't anything else, more important also undisclosed.

Many people have written of their insurers' disinterest, but I'd want that disinterest in writing.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll tell my insurer to add it to the list .... I don't expect to be charged any more.
The metal hip always causes a hold-up, but hey, what's a few extra minutes in a three-hour wait?
Have a great time, wherever you go.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would tell them so they don't have any get-outs if you make a medical claim

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I told my travel insurance half way through the year of insurance,I didnt have to pay any extra premium.

desidiabulum

Do declare it. I'm 99.999% sure that it will make no difference to your insurance. I found heart problems had a big impact, but even then it is only for the USA -- diabetes never did anything to my premiums, as far as I can understand. But failing to mention anything will always give them a pretext to dispute a claim. Look upon it more as covering yourself

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Look upon it more as covering yourself

Definitely. My experience of insurers is that if they can possibly find a way of wriggling out of their obligations they will do so - and my prediction is that they will try to claim that your not telling them that you are T2 constitutes failure to disclose a material fact, thus invalidating your cover. Don't risk it; as already mentioned, any increase in premium is likely to be small - and if it's not, then I'd start looking for another insurer, frankly.

Thieving illegitimates, the lot of them. Grrrrrr.............

Sigalit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
LOL I work for the insurance company, so let me clarify this.

It depends on what risks your policy covers. Luggage, liability, assistance services, accident? Not necessary to admit it.

Medical costs? That's where it gets tricky. You see, if you had a claim related to high blood pressure, heart attack or problems, eye problems, etc. and you didn't admit diabetes beforehand, they could call it an insurance fraud, since these things are related to diabetes complications.

Better check than be sorry later. They should have the insurance conditions online. Maybe it already is in their exclusions. And anyway, if it is important for them, there will be a question about it during the process of concluding your policy. If there is, don't lie. If there isn't - well, no one can blame you for not telling them voluntarily.

Reactions: 2 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I told my insurance Im diabetic,but I didnt tell them I had gall stones,I only knew I had gall stones due to a test for somthing else 20 years ago.never had any problems,in fact I never thought about it,most people have gall stones.
But on new years eve I was in Abu Dhabi,I got sudden pain like I cant discribe,ended up in hosptal for 3 days with pancreatitas due to a stone that had moved.
I have sent all my costs to my travel insurance,I hope they are going to help me,I have never had so much money on my credit card.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only