Bit confused about the high fat thing

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Wow I've really learned something reading these blogs.I have started doing low carbs this last week and I have lost 4lb this week. I have been steadily losing weight since I was diagnosed in October but this is the biggest weight loss in one week I have had. I thought a meal without potatoes or bread would be unappetizing but actually I haven't really missed them. Friends at work have suggested different sauces to have with veg to give more taste as I am not really a veg lover, the only thing I struggle with is breakfast. Usually I have weetabix as I need something quick because I leave home at 6.30for work. Today because I had more time I had a cooked breakfast of bacon egg tinned tomatoes and 1 Staffordshire oatcake. It's now getting on for 2.00pm and I am only just starting to feel peckish. Usually by 10.00am I am reaching for fruit as I am starving again. Has anyone any suggestions for low carb fast breakfasts? Also yoghurt confuse me as even the natural and Greek yoghurt seem to have a lot of sugar in them yet I read of people having them all the time which ones are best to eat?
Breakfast? Eggs and bacon.
Veggies? You really need to eat lots of fresh veg to have a healthy diet.
Greek yogurt? The sugar in full fat greek yogurt should be pretty low. The stuff in my fridge says 1g per 125g. You have to get the plain stuff and read the label.

Reactions: 4 people

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also, how come milk has carbs but butter and cheese doesn't?

I used to be a dairy manager, I can answer this. :) To make cream, butter and cheese, you isolate the fat from milk. Hardly any of the sugar comes with the fat, but stays in the liquid milk instead. So the fat products are naturally almost zero carb, whereas liquid milk has all of the original sugar.

Reactions: 11 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow I've really learned something reading these blogs.I have started doing low carbs this last week and I have lost 4lb this week. I have been steadily losing weight since I was diagnosed in October but this is the biggest weight loss in one week I have had. I thought a meal without potatoes or bread would be unappetizing but actually I haven't really missed them. Friends at work have suggested different sauces to have with veg to give more taste as I am not really a veg lover, the only thing I struggle with is breakfast. Usually I have weetabix as I need something quick because I leave home at 6.30for work. Today because I had more time I had a cooked breakfast of bacon egg tinned tomatoes and 1 Staffordshire oatcake. It's now getting on for 2.00pm and I am only just starting to feel peckish. Usually by 10.00am I am reaching for fruit as I am starving again. Has anyone any suggestions for low carb fast breakfasts? Also yoghurt confuse me as even the natural and Greek yoghurt seem to have a lot of sugar in them yet I read of people having them all the time which ones are best to eat?

Yes, you need to read the labels and compare brands. I eat Total Full Fat Greek yogurt and add a few berries to it. 100g of the yogurt has 4g carbs, so it is low carb. This breakfast lasts me 4 or 5 hours till lunch time, with a couple of cups of tea in between.

Reactions: 2 people

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a veggie and I am addicted to cheese, and love roasted root veg parsnips my favourite.
So reading varioud threads I now no I will have to try and stop eating by beloved roasted roots. BUT how much cheese can I eat??
I also have IBS so cant eat much salad, green lettice is a BIG no for me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a veggie and I am addicted to cheese, and love roasted root veg parsnips my favourite.
So reading varioud threads I now no I will have to try and stop eating by beloved roasted roots. BUT how much cheese can I eat??

Have you tried testing your treasured roast roots? You may find you can cope with some in smaller portions.

I can only tell you how much cheese I eat. About 60g a day eaten raw as I hate cooked cheese. It's all about balance. The less carbs you eat the more fat you can eat. It is trial and error and in my case involves not just carb counting but also calorie counting - the calories from the fat binging me up to the number of daily calories I need for my personal circumstances.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont have a meter yet, due to see nurse tuesday for my annual results. I am type 2. I will ask again for a meter, but think it will be a no!
Have only found this site a couple of days ago, and I am sure the only way I can take control is by purchasing a meter.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What is low and high fat depends where you are coming from, there is no accepted definition.
There are proponents of very low fat diets ie less than 20% .They tend to be vegan and there are studies to suggest that the work very well.
The UK suggests that 33% fat is optimal.
I'm in France and the guidelines say 35-40%
The Cretan diet investigated by Ancel Keys had 42% fat
The Predimed (Spanish Mediterranean diet) which had very successful trials recently had 39-41% fat (high in monounsaturated and not much higher in fat than the control at 37% (difference was type of fat and carbs)
Trudi Deakin suggests that she eats 82% fat.

Here's a paper suggesting that a high fat low carb diet is less than 20% carb and 55- 65% fat.
In grams that is characterised in a diet of 1414 calories by
94g fat, 35 g carb, 105g of protein. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2001.113/full

If the past is anything to go on, very few people on here eat anything like 80% fat .They may eat significantly more than the UK or even the French guidelines of up to 45%
Here's a thread where a member plugged in peoples sample diets to a database and worked out relative percentages.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/share-your-diet.30311/
You can see that it was then very few that approached 80%
(and I suspect that the levels of fat were higher than, than a similar exercise a few years previously, unfortunately, now disappeared into the ether.)
It's not difficult to work out your own percentages(I'd offer but I'm off skiing next week) It does depend on a) weighing what you eat.b) making sure that the data base you use for nutrient content is accurate (ie from 'official' sources, not crowd sourced and consistently from Europe or the US,not a mixture)

I suggest that butter on cheese is a backhanded reference to why Ancel Keys chose an area in Finland for the seven countries study. There the farmers buttered their cheese and had a very high rate of cardiovascular disease.
general reference

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi2469.htm
Here are all the papers from the Finnish arm of the study (for those who look at populist knocking of this study, just look at the breadth of subjects being investigated over many decades) http://sevencountriesstudy.com/study-findings/publications#finland

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Fat doesn't make you fat.
Sugar makes you fat.
High carb foods turn to sugar fast.
I count nothing weigh nothing.
The only thing I measure is with my meter.
I'm T2 and doing very well on LCHF.
Tonights tea was grilled cod and a pile of assorted steamed veg that had a little crunch left in it with grated and grilled cheese on top .... and butter on the fish.
Anyone losing weight on LCHF be aware that the initial weight loss can suddenly appear back again for no apparent reason when you first start this diet. I started yo yoing up and down like crazy but stuck with it and gradually it stopped returning.

Reactions: 10 people
A

AnnieC

I am not a big meat eater usually only chicken

You don't have to stop eating roots just try a smaller portion roasting them in some fat is probably better as the fat will help them to break down slower and you will need these if you can't eat the green stuff. How much cheese you eat depends on if you need to loose weight it is high in calories
When I gave up all the sweet stuff I lost over a stone in weight that I did not need to so now I eat a lot of cheese and nuts just to try and keep my weight up I also can't go to low with the carbs as that makes me loose more weight I am not a big meat eater just chicken and I don't eat rice or pasta and never more than 2 slices of Burgen Linseed and Soya bread a day but I do eat all other vegetables and like you love them roasted

Last edited:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know. That got me too. What about bullet proof coffee? That and eating until you feel you have had enough. Errr, I don't ever feel i have eaten enough, and the trouble is that higher fat foods taste so good. I could go on eating forever. Cream, yum!

There are lots of people who do have success and advocate LCHF though, so hopefully someone will assist soon.
although I don't have hunger cravings..I still have to watch how much LCHF I eat, so i don't binge
diabetics have different gut bugs than the normal pop. I took probiotics when I changed my diet and found it ok. I noticed a difference in a few days. very specifically with 2 types..I took a variety over a period.

I can still binge, even though I'm not hungry too. I find I need to be very low carb which helps a lot with hitting the fridge at 1-2hrs again, but not the overeating at the mealtime.

you can have parsnips but only a little bit
http://www.fatsecret.com.au/calories-nutrition/food/parsnips/carbohydrate

it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

Reactions: 5 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Even the Diet Doctor acknowledges that not everyone can eat as much as they want of low-carb foods and still lose weight.

He says when that happens, try limiting cream, cheese, other dairy products and nuts. It's easy to overeat these things since they are very tasty.

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Even the Diet Doctor acknowledges that not everyone can eat as much as they want of low-carb foods and still lose weight.

He says when that happens, try limiting cream, cheese, other dairy products and nuts. It's easy to overeat these things since they are very tasty.
nope, you don't get the 'feelings' us overeaters get while eating. It's leptin and would be like me describing the colour red to a blind man :)

this video will help

Last edited by a moderator:

Tooconfused

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
My BS numbers have gone down a little by not eating many carbs. (Been out walking too) That said, I can't see myself eating butter, bacon, cream etc and clogging up my arteries.

I think I'm going to continue lower (ish) carbs, but not to a crazy extent where I'm not eating enough, which is what's happening now... ...I'd prefer to have a slice of my beloved bread then go for a walk to lower sugar reading. That must be healthier.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
My BS numbers have gone down a little by not eating many carbs. (Been out walking too) That said, I can't see myself eating butter, bacon, cream etc and clogging up my arteries.

I think I'm going to continue lower (ish) carbs, but not to a crazy extent where I'm not eating enough, which is what's happening now... ...I'd prefer to have a slice of my beloved bread then go for a walk to lower sugar reading. That must be healthier.
Fat does not clog up arteries.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
nope, you don't get the 'feelings' us overeaters get while eating. It's leptin and would be like me describing the colour red to a blind man :)

this video will help
I didn't say anything about feelings.

Tooconfused

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe not, I'm not a doctor, I don't know really, I just can't see it as healthy to eat all that stuff :(

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

By my experience and others on here the fat helps lower all your bodies reading as well as blood glucose.
What you are describing is a misconception, natrual fats help you lose visceral fat, not gain it.
Have a read around.

But it's still your choice!

The bread is the worst thing your list suggests. Refined flour is just a no no.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Maybe not, I'm not a doctor, I don't know really, I just can't see it as healthy to eat all that stuff :(
It is very healthy, as long as you don't eat processed food, especially processed veg oil and stuff made with wheat flour.