At last

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
just got a letter today after being told i qualify for a pump 2 years ago and the reason i could not have one is theirs no trainers/clinics in my area.i have done the dafnie courses and everything they needed but still no pump. BUT TODAY THE LETTER ARRIVED starting next month i will be starting on a trail. not in my area but within 20 miles away.and later moved nearer to me when they get a new clinic up and running. There given me a list of dates. but i don't no what to expect so any info would be very welcome.

fingers crossed

Reactions: 10 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i believe @Spiker is a pumper and @donnellysdogs too
- copied them in to possibly assist :)

well done for the go ahead too !!!!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You will get a couple of days at a hospital receiving instructions in how to use the pump, spread over a couple of weeks, while you have the pump at home. Initially they may run you on neutral saline for a week rather than insulin.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Oh crikey... Well done.. At last for you.

First off..

I would recommend that from now until pump that you are very precise in recording your bloods, your foods and your insulin taken....even your exercise!!

Be exact and take pre meals and 2 hrs after etc...

Make sure you take these with you.

Do you know if they contact you before to advise you ref the last time you will take your long acting dosage.

Do you know what the trial pump will be? Ie Veo or Insight etc?

Different clinics do things differently. I was lucky I had a one to one and I took my hubby and best pal with me as well.

I think some clinics have 2 or 3 new pumpers at the same start up session.

Expect to come away with a lot of boxes. We took to Lidl Bags with us when we went. They were full of boxes, sets, tubes etc.

I certainly would advise having a partner or close friend to go with you. They won't understand like you will but it was nice for me to know that someone else actually realises the faffing around that it initially takes..

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fantastic news! My advice is to draw up a list of questions in advance and take lots of notes during the appointment.

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fantastic news! My advice is to draw up a list of questions in advance and take lots of notes during the appointment.
Thanks for your support.
i had a problem with dawn phenomenon when i was on lantus but now i use Levemir twice a day with humalog it helped but i need to take suck large dosages the levemir only seems to work with me for 8 hours leaving me with weak background insulin and having to adjust BG with the humalog. hope the pump will sort me out.

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your support.
i had a problem with dawn phenomenon when i was on lantus but now i use Levemir twice a day with humalog it helped but i need to take suck large dosages the levemir only seems to work with me for 8 hours leaving me with weak background insulin and having to adjust BG with the humalog. hope the pump will sort me out.

I moved from Lantus to Levimir as well. I was having 55 units of Levimir before bed, and still waking up with 13+ BG. I've been on the pump a week and I'm already getting there with DP, my sugars this morning were 8.1. This is with 29 units instead of 55. You will get there!

Reactions: 2 people

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I moved from Lantus to Levimir as well. I was having 55 units of Levimir before bed, and still waking up with 13+ BG. I've been on the pump a week and I'm already getting there with DP, my sugars this morning were 8.1. This is with 29 units instead of 55. You will get there!
Good news theres hope
i'm taking Levimir 45 units night and 42 morning i wake-up up with BG 14+ most days but i gain control down to BG 8 by evening meal but there are lots of adjustment.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's excellent news @caretaker after quite a wait! :)

I'm sure the pump will help with your DP. Removing long acting insulin from my life was the best thing that has happened to me diabetes wise along with getting a pump. I find it so much easier to control my bg just using Humalog.

Do you know which make of pump you are getting so you can have a read about the features you'll have at your disposal? You get shown how to set it all up, basal rates, cannulas, etc and at first it does feel odd having a pump attached to you and no need for injections but you soon get used to it. Be patient with it, you will have some ups and downs - mainly blood sugar ones - but once you get your basal rates sorted and your carb ratios correct it is a brilliant piece of technology. Good luck, I wish you well with your pump.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
just got a letter today after being told i qualify for a pump 2 years ago and the reason i could not have one is theirs no trainers/clinics in my area.i have done the dafnie courses and everything they needed but still no pump. BUT TODAY THE LETTER ARRIVED starting next month i will be starting on a trail. not in my area but within 20 miles away.and later moved nearer to me when they get a new clinic up and running. There given me a list of dates. but i don't no what to expect so any info would be very welcome.

fingers crossed

Good luck and all the best :)

RRB

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's excellent news @caretaker after quite a wait! :)

I'm sure the pump will help with your DP. Removing long acting insulin from my life was the best thing that has happened to me diabetes wise along with getting a pump. I find it so much easier to control my bg just using Humalog.

Do you know which make of pump you are getting so you can have a read about the features you'll have at your disposal? You get shown how to set it all up, basal rates, cannulas, etc and at first it does feel odd having a pump attached to you and no need for injections but you soon get used to it. Be patient with it, you will have some ups and downs - mainly blood sugar ones - but once you get your basal rates sorted and your carb ratios correct it is a brilliant piece of technology. Good luck, I wish you well with your pump.
It looks like i'm getting Medtronic Veo pump (snap)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
i'm checking out YouTube videos Medtronic Veo pump for info. what do you think? any good or am i wasting my time

Go for it, there's some really good video's on Youtube where users share their experiences of using a insulin pump.

iHs

Medtronic are about to release their latest pump in Spring I believe .......Medtronic 640G

It is meant to be better than the Veo where cgm is concerned as the pump will adjust the flow of insulin downwards to prevent low bg levels according the the cgm.

xiphi

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Medtronic are about to release their latest pump in Spring I believe .......Medtronic 640G

It is meant to be better than the Veo where cgm is concerned as the pump will adjust the flow of insulin downwards to prevent low bg levels according the the cgm.

Hi the 640G isn't all that it's cracked up to be :( Not the artificial pancreas they plugged !!!.
I missed out by a matter of 5 weeks to qualify but the Veo will do just about the same alarming if your BGL decreases to a pre set level with the CGM insitu of course.

Good luck with it when it arrives tho :D

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Good for you Caretaker I've been pumping 15 yrs now and never looked back :)

Rubyloo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Greed! Religion! Eggs!
Hi All,

Have been waiting for a Pump for years asmy PCT would not fund one! Finally my Dr at the Hospital has refered me to Kings College London & today I have had a letter to say that I will start with a Medtronic 640g on the 2nd/9th March! So excited & a little bit scared!

Debs x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi All,

Have been waiting for a Pump for years asmy PCT would not fund one! Finally my Dr at the Hospital has refered me to Kings College London & today I have had a letter to say that I will start with a Medtronic 640g on the 2nd/9th March! So excited & a little bit scared!

Debs x

Have you actually moved CCG's if not.. Either your CCG has reviewed its policies or somebody else in your healthcare hasn't necessarily told you the truth previously.

Still, well done.