recently diagnosed - wake up call

killerkaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone this is my first time on here.I got diagnosed with type 2 in October and it was a real wake up call.(part of me still thinks they've got it wrong). I'm on metformin 500 x 4 a day and so far have been quite lucky with the side effects. Some nausea and definitely getting extra exercise running to the loo but on the whole not to bad considering what some people have had to put up with. I decided to use the diagnosis as a platform to completely change my lifestyle, having spent the last 55 years eating anything covered in chocolate, chips, and anything inbetween I knew it wasn't going to be an overnight job. I have completely cut out sugar, have no ready made meals or refined foods, have recently read about the effect of carbs so have reduced those down to a bare minimum as well. 3 months on I am over a stone lighter, and it is my intention by September this year to be 3 stones lighter. On the anniversary of my diagnosis I want to be off medication and diet controlled. I've read that it's advisable to invest in a blood glucose machine to see what effect certain foods have on you so I've just ordered one from Amazon. It's been great reading some of the threads and knowing I'm not alone in finding my way around this condition. Some of the advice I have read has been really useful. I hope to make good use of this forum.

Reactions: 6 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone this is my first time on here.I got diagnosed with type 2 in October and it was a real wake up call.(part of me still thinks they've got it wrong). I'm on metformin 500 x 4 a day and so far have been quite lucky with the side effects. Some nausea and definitely getting extra exercise running to the loo but on the whole not to bad considering what some people have had to put up with. I decided to use the diagnosis as a platform to completely change my lifestyle, having spent the last 55 years eating anything covered in chocolate, chips, and anything inbetween I knew it wasn't going to be an overnight job. I have completely cut out sugar, have no ready made meals or refined foods, have recently read about the effect of carbs so have reduced those down to a bare minimum as well. 3 months on I am over a stone lighter, and it is my intention by September this year to be 3 stones lighter. On the anniversary of my diagnosis I want to be off medication and diet controlled. I've read that it's advisable to invest in a blood glucose machine to see what effect certain foods have on you so I've just ordered one from Amazon. It's been great reading some of the threads and knowing I'm not alone in finding my way around this condition. Some of the advice I have read has been really useful. I hope to make good use of this forum.
Ay up killerkaz and welcome to the site. I was diagnosed in November with type 2 and like you I didn't realise what sort of an impact it would have on my life. Didn't realise that I wouldn't be able to eat all the good stuff that I was used to. When talking to people about it, all I got was "it's not that bad, you can still eat the things you like but in moderation". Have you ever tried eating just 6 chips out of a normal portion of 100. Have you ever tried eating just a 1/3 of a mars bar and putting the rest down till tomorrow, it's hard. Since I found this site and was advised/ informed about what was good and what was bad to eat, I haven't really thought about most of the good stuff I used to eat, in fact things like berries and double cream (something I never used to eat) actually tastes quite good.
I'm glad to see that you've ordered a blood sugar monitor, a must believe me. You need to test before meals and 2 hrs after your first mouthful, that way you will see what foods raise your sugar levels higher than others.
Have a good look around the site and ask any questions you may have.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good evening and welcome to the forum :)

RRB

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi & Welcome to the forum @killerkaz.

It appears you have been looking around for a while now, I was diagnosed Type 2 in September 2014 and have been on this really great forum since October. Following the info on here will really help you.

I will tag @daisy1 she will be a long with a very long list of exceptionally useful information for new members, probably in the morning now though.

Eat to your meter and you will definitely reach your targets I think very much sooner than you imagine.

While waiting for daisy1 keep looking round the forum and ask as many questions as you need to.
Neil

Reactions: 2 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello @killerkaz and welcome to the forum :)

You really have made an excellent start to caring for yourself and fighting this thing. Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask all the questions you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

killerkaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone I have got a lot of information off this site already and hope to get a lot more in the future.I have got my first appointment with the dietition tomorrow so hoping to get some good pointers there. I've been keeping a food diary as well. I think it's important to realise that you can take control of this condition and not let it control you. I've only got myself to blame so it's up to me to sort it out and let it know whose boss!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck tomorrow. Let us know what the dietician advises and what path you plan to take.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
. I decided to use the diagnosis as a platform to completely change my lifestyle, having spent the last 55 years eating anything covered in chocolate, chips, and anything inbetween I knew it wasn't going to be an overnight job. I have completely cut out sugar, have no ready made meals or refined foods, have recently read about the effect of carbs so have reduced those down to a bare minimum as well. 3 months on I am over a stone lighter, and it is my intention by September this year to be 3 stones lighter. On the anniversary of my diagnosis I want to be off medication and diet controlled. I've read that it's advisable to invest in a blood glucose machine to see what effect certain foods have on you so I've just ordered one from Amazon. It's been great reading some of the threads and knowing I'm not alone in finding my way around this condition. Some of the advice I have read has been really useful. I hope to make good use of this forum.

Wow, well done you :D It is a real wake up call. It's also not easy changing the (bad) habits of a lifetime is it? That's great that you've lost a stone already as it'll help and of course make you feel better. I've also reduced my carbs and dramatically reduced the amount of carb rich food I eat, i.e. only having potatoes very occasionally. Not sure what meter you've ordered but I invested in an SD Codefree which I use to test every now and again. As someone who is needle phobic it takes me a lot of courage and even then my husband actually does it for me! ;)

You certainly aren't alone in this and carry on reading the various threads - there's just so much fantastic advice and great support on here. Glad you found the site and good luck with your goals :)

killerkaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, well done you :D It is a real wake up call. It's also not easy changing the (bad) habits of a lifetime is it? That's great that you've lost a stone already as it'll help and of course make you feel better. I've also reduced my carbs and dramatically reduced the amount of carb rich food I eat, i.e. only having potatoes very occasionally. Not sure what meter you've ordered but I invested in an SD Codefree which I use to test every now and again. As someone who is needle phobic it takes me a lot of courage and even then my husband actually does it for me! ;)

You certainly aren't alone in this and carry on reading the various threads - there's just so much fantastic advice and great support on here. Glad you found the site and good luck with your goals :)
Yt?

killerkaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haven't got a clue what I just did on that reply but it doesn't make any sense. Thanks for your comments tigerlily, at the moment I am feeling very determined but I am sure I will have my low spots which is where I think this forum will be a great pick me up.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
welcome. I was in your position one year ago (a week before christmas) and I was determined to fix it - fear driven really. I was off of metformin after 2 months and have been diet controlled since. Have a read of my journey (first 3 months) in the link in my signature. Which ever approach you decide upon we are here to give support and challenge too keep you on your path.

killerkaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow I'm really impressed, I hope I have as much success.your experience has made me see that I really can get off meds.my fasting bloods were 8.5 at diagnosis. Not had any done since but have an appointment with the diabetic nurse on 13 Feb so I'm hoping to see some improvement. I'm looking forward to getting my blood glucose monitor so I can at least see if I'm heading in the right direction.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
yes a meter is key to success

killerkaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well the dietition reckons I'm already doing what she would have advised so doesn't want to see me again. She still advocates having carbs with every meal though. I just nodded and completely ignored that bit of advise. I'm feeling so much better in myself for cutting down on the carbs. No bloating, no indigestion, more energy and can concentrate better.don't know what my blood sugars are as I am waiting for my monitor to come, but judging by my symptoms I am assuming they are ok.