Chick peas, lentils, barley etc, good carbs?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm just making some soup and was about to put a can of chick peas in and noticed there's 38 carbs in the can. There will probably be about 6 servings so not too many in a serving, but I just wanted to check that these are good carbs?
How about lentils,barley, split peas etc? They all help to give a bit of oomph to veggie dishes and I'd hate to have to leave them out.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. looks like I'll stop buying teh canned ones and cook them myself then :)

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

I use lots of chickpeas ...they are fine for me ...
Tinned ones , but I always drain the water ....

Have read many people eat them ....
But individual choice ....I love them

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I never used to like them but suddenly decided I do! I was like that with brussels sprouts too, wouldn't eat them till I got into my 20s

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have lots of chickpeas and lentils etc; on my vegan type diet. like @Kat100 says, drain the water.
Even better in soup, ( we use cans many time due to convenience etc; )
do you use a "blood glucose meter" for safe reference.
here is some info; Calories in Chickpeas

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I could never understand the point in carrying home a lot of water so always soak and cook them myself. When it comes to beans and chickpeas I really don't care if they contain too many carbs, I will have some anyway now and then. And I often find my fasting bg is comparably low the morning after I've had some.
I have read that some of the carbs are converted to resistant starch if you let them cool properly, even if you re-heat them later.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
O I do miss chick peas and lentles .. Can still have pearl barly .. The rest send my sugar skywards

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They don't seem to spike my levels too much, so nice to find something I like that I can eat!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow! Just had a big bowl of soup that had lentils, barley and some potato to thicken it, among other veg, and a large chicken breast diced into ti and 1.5 hours later my levels are the same as before? I can see them becoming my new favourites instead of spuds and rice!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow! Just had a big bowl of soup that had lentils, barley and some potato to thicken it, among other veg, and a large chicken breast diced into ti and 1.5 hours later my levels are the same as before? I can see them becoming my new favourites instead of spuds and rice!
that sounds good and healthy, I'd use chickpea flour next time to thicken it :)
I test new foods at 1, then 2 and 3 hr
google diabetes pizza effect because some spikes can be 4 or more hours

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chickpea flour has 60g of carbs in 100g, how much would \i hsve to use?
And not heard of the diabetes pizza effect, scary! Will test again in half hour!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chickpea flour has 60g of carbs in 100g, how much would \i hsve to use?
And not heard of the diabetes pizza effect, scary! Will test again in half hour!
more than likely it will be fine.
I'd start with a teaspoon at a time mixed in a bit of water, but I guess a tablespoon for a normal soup..
that's dry weight carbs, wet weight is less than wet spuds..dry weight potato flour is three times more.
https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/food/flour/carbohydrate

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've added chickpea flour to my online shopping list, I suppose that can be used the same as ordinary flour? I'd never heard of it before, I love this forum! :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've added chickpea flour to my online shopping list, I suppose that can be used the same as ordinary flour? I'd never heard of it before, I love this forum! :)
online are normally silly prices..local asian grocery store will save you a fortune on flours, coconut oils etc

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm right out in the sticks here, no Asian stores :( Not many ordinary stores come to that! lol! I do all my shopping online.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
that sounds good and healthy, I'd use chickpea flour next time to thicken it :)
I use buckwheat flour (it's not wheat) to thicken gravy & sauce just like ordinary flour (i.e. start by cooking flour & fat, add water or whatever and stir like mad). Nice and smooth.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now I don't know whether to get chickpea flour or buckwheat flour ;)