Should I go to the optician?

Eva11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm sixteen years old and I've been diabetic for coming up to seven months and my eyesight has been substantially more blurry than it used to be considering I had pretty much perfect eyesight before. I assumed it was just my sugar levels affecting my eyesight but it's blurry all of the time even when my bloods are perfect. I had a retinopathy test and that was all fine so that's not the problem. I'd really love an easy solution so if glasses help that would be great. Biggest problem with this is being out at night because I can't see things very well in the dark and to be honest it's just scary. Would it do any good to go to the optician? Or would I be wasting my time and money getting glasses?

Thanks

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi I'm sixteen years old and I've been diabetic for coming up to seven months and my eyesight has been substantially more blurry than it used to be considering I had pretty much perfect eyesight before. I assumed it was just my sugar levels affecting my eyesight but it's blurry all of the time even when my bloods are perfect. I had a retinopathy test and that was all fine so that's not the problem. I'd really love an easy solution so if glasses help that would be great. Biggest problem with this is being out at night because I can't see things very well in the dark and to be honest it's just scary. Would it do any good to go to the optician? Or would I be wasting my time and money getting glasses?

Thanks
Hi Eva, no you are not wasting anyone's time by going to the optician :) You will be given a free eye test and I suspect you can have free glasses as well due to your age. Sight is one of the most precious gifts anyone can have so you need to look after it :)

Reactions: 11 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Eva11
first -- a warm welcome to the forum:)

in that seven months of being D -- has your blood sugars dropped dramatically , been fairly consistent , all over the place , or loads of lows ??

the reason for the question is eyesight ( blurred) can be a symptom of low blood sugar
a huge drop in blood sugars in a short space of time say from 12-14's down to 6-7's can also make eyesight go blurry

the optician does sound a good option but perhaps a quick phone call to your diabetic nurse to double check would be cool too

Reactions: 8 people

Eva11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you both! I agree a call to diabetes team may be a good idea and I'll book myself to see an optician soon. My bloods were quite up and down generally being above ten quite often and in probably the last two months they have been more in range but with lots of hypos. Still figuring out ratios and such so there's quite a bit of guess work especially concerning corrections but I think my basal is correct now which was the main problem up until about two months ago. I'm sure eyesight is being affected by bloods being up and down but it seems to be a pretty constant thing even when my bloods are near on perfect for the entire day

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Eva11 , funny things happening with your eyes is a side effect of diabetes. It's worth arranging an optician appointment anyway, especially if it is free. Nothing wrong with just making sure when it comes to eyesight.

As has already been mentioned, glucose levels do funny things to the eyes. Increased or decreased can both cause blurred vision, as can sudden or fast changes. A good optician would be able to discuss this with you, and it's worth looking at your recent diabetic records to understand whether you have had any of the variations described in this thread (rapidly changing, big change from high to low, many highs or many lows).

Unfortunately, your eyes tend to react a little more slowly than the rest of your body, so if you've had a lot of variation then smoothed out, they can take longer to catch up.

Reactions: 5 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you both! I agree a call to diabetes team may be a good idea and I'll book myself to see an optician soon. My bloods were quite up and down generally being above ten quite often and in probably the last two months they have been more in range but with lots of hypos. Still figuring out ratios and such so there's quite a bit of guess work especially concerning corrections but I think my basal is correct now which was the main problem up until about two months ago. I'm sure eyesight is being affected by bloods being up and down but it seems to be a pretty constant thing even when my bloods are near on perfect for the entire day
I think it would take more than a day or 2 of normal blood sugars to stabilize your eyes, but do think you need to go to the optician for a full check up and most importantly to put your mind at rest. :)
Very well done on the progress you are making with your diabetes though :)

Reactions: 6 people

Eva11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it would take more than a day or 2 of normal blood sugars to stabilize your eyes, but do think you need to go to the optician for a full check up and most importantly to put your mind at rest. :)
Very well done on the progress you are making with your diabetes though :)
Thankyou! I'm still learning things and still my levels aren't stable but I'm getting better :) going to optician today and will talk to my diabetes team. Thanks for everyone's help :)

Reactions: 8 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Eva it takes six to eight weeks of decent blood sugars (? 7 or below) for eyes to settle down if (as sounds) you're talking about the temporary effects of high BG. It temporarily changes the shape of the lens in the eye. It goes back to normal!! Don't worry, but it takes time. It took me six weeks, and others have mentioned similar.

Go to optician and ask, and get the very cheapest pair of glasses you can, because your prescription will change. But mostly, look at your BG records, and get your DSN on side to help with getting them down consistently. If you can get the basal right first - see everywhere on this forum, also this: http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

If you can get that right, it's a great foundation.

What you are going through is totally standard for us, and it's also temporary. So be of good cheer ! x

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Um, also, low carb. It's an easy and nice lifestyle choice. Also the best and quickest way of getting your BG down. http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf. This guy Andreas Eenfeldt is a Swedish doctor. His site is quite funky, but he's real and reliable.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Two years ago I noticed, a strange think. My left eye colours looked good, my right eye colours looked washed out.
So made an appointment with my optician. She did all the usual tests, then a colour blind test. Left eye I could see all the numbers in the dots. Right eye not one. She contacted my local hospital there and then. That evening at 6.40 pm I had a phone call from doctor at hospital. Doctor asked various questions, I was given a hospital appointment for the monday. I had lots of tests, results, they don't know why the colours are washed out in my right eye. My hobby is photography and I am frustrated.

Phone your opticians TODAY, good luck.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
@Eva11
Please do get your eyes checked via opticians .
Also let your GP and DSN know of your blurry eye sight problems too .

You will be advised by them all and be given a care plan forward
for your future eye care .
Your eyes are highly important within Diabetes .

Please let us know how you go on too .
We would love to know that you are okay :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Yes. see an optician... Though i would suggest making sure blood sugars are within reasonable parameters whilst undergoing the eye test... ;)

Eva11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone for answering. I went to the opticians yesterday had an eye test and I am slightly short sighted (-75) so I've got glasses on the way luckily with a big coupon meaning we didn't have to spend much. I'm gonna have to see how it goes actually using the glasses and see if they help always or if my eyesight is okay if my bloods are settled. I won't need to use glasses all the time just for things like seeing the board in class. I'll talk to my diabetes team but hopefully glasses will help a bunch :)

Reactions: 6 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Thank you everyone for answering. I went to the opticians yesterday had an eye test and I am slightly short sighted (-75) so I've got glasses on the way luckily with a big coupon meaning we didn't have to spend much. I'm gonna have to see how it goes actually using the glasses and see if they help always or if my eyesight is okay if my bloods are settled. I won't need to use glasses all the time just for things like seeing the board in class. I'll talk to my diabetes team but hopefully glasses will help a bunch :)

Great to hear an update from you Eva .
Glasses can cost a fortune so hope the coupon came in handy .
What style and colour you chosen ?

I always go for glasses in black and white colour on my glasses .
Softly squared frames design too .
Reflective tinted lenses then can wear on bright/sunny days .

You may notice the benefits of wearing your glasses .
Not straining eyes to focus in the distance .
No headaches if had these previously with eye strain ?

Talk to your Diabetes team and remember to mention of your eyes also .
Hopefully when BG settle more steadier the blurriness will lessen .

Eva11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is the picture of them that was on the website
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1422228962.477528.jpg
chose cheapest one that looked mildly okay ahaha tortoiseshell was nice so I thought why not. Not having to strain to see things will be very nice I'm looking forward to it

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pleased you went and hopefully feeling more reassured now :)

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done getting your glasses! Now get your diabetes people on side to help you. They will have seen this ten thousand times before as it's absolutely standard - just tell them.

Power to you x Lucy

Last edited by a moderator: