Life Changer

DavidPClough

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All. I was sat in my office one afternoon about 6 years ago and for whatever reason I guessed I was not well. Always tired and on a couple of occasions dropped off to sleep. As a catering manager who managed a kitchen that catered for diabetics I knew the signs and went down town a bought myself a blood glucose test machine.

Not surprising my readings were high and so I took myself off to my doctor and after blood tests i was diagnosed T2. My doctor instantly prescribed Metformin, Statins, Asprin and Lisinopril to which I still take to this day. I was 57 when diagnosed and therefore needed medical interventions to cut down the chances of developing all the nasties you can suffer with diabetes.

I was about 13.5 stone in weight then and with a family history of the condition it was probably only a matter of time before the condition reared it's head. I continued to work another 3 years and tried my best to follow medical advice and take the medication however although feeling better I found it hard to get my blood glucose levels down. Then an opportunity arose which gave me the chance to finish work 5 years before retirement age and I have never looked back since. To cut a long story short, from the moment I finished work I have found through my 6 monthly and annual checks that:

- My Blood Glucose Levels are back to normal
- I have lost 2 stones
- My eyes show no signs of Retinopothy
- My feet are healthy
- My blood pressure is normal
My cholesterol at the last check was 2.5

As you can imagine I am over the moon and I put it down to the life style changes I have made and to my exercise regime and diet. As an ex chef I am lucky that I know about nutrition and therefore I have been able to put my knowledge to good use. I use very little commercially made food and prefer to make my family meals from basic ingredients. I try as best I can to cook high fibre/low fat meals with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables included.

Food is only 50% of my regime. The other is regular exercise. How have I achieved you may ask? well I got myself two Labrador Retrievers and walk a minimum of one to two hours a day and have really got into my garden. Both dogs and gardens don't allow you to slip into a sedentary lifestyle. My dogs will pester me to get up and walk them and the garden never stops growing even in the winter months.

This worked for me and I realise that not everybody is as lucky with their health as me. As my nurse keeps telling me I will always have the condition and I need to keep on top of the progress I have made in controlling it. This is just my story and I hope it is a good read

Reactions: 8 people

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a wonderful story David!! (not the diabetes part, but most everything else). Welcome on Board & Thank you for sharing.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know it is unwise to suggest a course of action to a chef where food is concerned but I thought I would mention that low fat has been subject to a re-think recently. Since the link between cholesterol and CVD has been debunked a fresh look reveals that saturated fat can be beneficial in lowering cholesterol and help with weight loss.

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Hi All. I was sat in my office one afternoon about 6 years ago and for whatever reason I guessed I was not well. Always tired and on a couple of occasions dropped off to sleep. As a catering manager who managed a kitchen that catered for diabetics I knew the signs and went down town a bought myself a blood glucose test machine.

Not surprising my readings were high and so I took myself off to my doctor and after blood tests i was diagnosed T2. My doctor instantly prescribed Metformin, Statins, Asprin and Lisinopril to which I still take to this day. I was 57 when diagnosed and therefore needed medical interventions to cut down the chances of developing all the nasties you can suffer with diabetes.

I was about 13.5 stone in weight then and with a family history of the condition it was probably only a matter of time before the condition reared it's head. I continued to work another 3 years and tried my best to follow medical advice and take the medication however although feeling better I found it hard to get my blood glucose levels down. Then an opportunity arose which gave me the chance to finish work 5 years before retirement age and I have never looked back since. To cut a long story short, from the moment I finished work I have found through my 6 monthly and annual checks that:

- My Blood Glucose Levels are back to normal
- I have lost 2 stones
- My eyes show no signs of Retinopothy
- My feet are healthy
- My blood pressure is normal
My cholesterol at the last check was 2.5

As you can imagine I am over the moon and I put it down to the life style changes I have made and to my exercise regime and diet. As an ex chef I am lucky that I know about nutrition and therefore I have been able to put my knowledge to good use. I use very little commercially made food and prefer to make my family meals from basic ingredients. I try as best I can to cook high fibre/low fat meals with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables included.

Food is only 50% of my regime. The other is regular exercise. How have I achieved you may ask? well I got myself two Labrador Retrievers and walk a minimum of one to two hours a day and have really got into my garden. Both dogs and gardens don't allow you to slip into a sedentary lifestyle. My dogs will pester me to get up and walk them and the garden never stops growing even in the winter months.

This worked for me and I realise that not everybody is as lucky with their health as me. As my nurse keeps telling me I will always have the condition and I need to keep on top of the progress I have made in controlling it. This is just my story and I hope it is a good read
WONDERFUL WONDERFUL great story. DIET and EXERCISE its all in our hands to improve. Even if you have meds diet and exercise are important. Thanks for sharing!