Gastroperisis

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else suffer from gastroperisis? & if so is there anything to tAke? I've tried Gaviscon(however you spell it) & it didn't work and it's stopping me sleep I get 3hours max every night any ideas would help.
Thankyou

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi keishamarie, i take it your doctor knows of your problem , what has he advised?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there
i honestly would advise you to get to your doctor on this one -- everything i have read about this suggests any medication needs to be prescribed
[[[[hugs]]]] -- you must be in some discomfort :(

C

catherinecherub

Have you been diagnosed?

Gastroparesis comes under the heading of Autonomic Neuropathy.
Nerve damage to the digestive system most commonly causes constipation. Damage can also cause the stomach to empty too slowly, a condition called gastroparesis. Severe gastroparesis can lead to persistent nausea and vomiting, bloating, and loss of appetite. Gastroparesis can also make blood glucose levels fluctuate widely, due to abnormal food digestion.
http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/neuropathies/

You really need to see your Dr. for a referral to a Consultant. Gaviscon may give you some relief from the effects but you need more tests.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Does anyone else suffer from gastroperisis? & if so is there anything to tAke? I've tried Gaviscon(however you spell it) & it didn't work and it's stopping me sleep I get 3hours max every night any ideas would help.
Thankyou
As you are so young and not diagnosed for very long I would be very suspicious of your diagnoses! Have you been tested for Coeliac? I ask because the symptoms are very similar.

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I didn't really explain much last night. I was very tired and very peed off!
I was under investigation for 3 years for stomach problems. I was sent from My local hospital to Oxford and Chelsea in London. And there was no joy until about 3 months ago when I was diagnosed with Gastroperisis. The doctor said that I've tried all the medication that he could give me but unfortunately nothing was successful so he said to ask around and see what others tried but recently I've been suffering a lot more with it and in just looking for some ideas so other new things to try to try and control my gastroperisis :)

Bufger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If a Doctor asks you to look around and see what others are trying its time to find another Doctor.

Hope you get sorted soon. Second opinion needed

Reactions: 3 people

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My doctor only asked me to look around because it's not that well known and they've given me all their medical advice so they're asking for me to look at other lifestyle and non medical treatments! So I just wondered if anyone had any ideas

C

catherinecherub

Did you read the article I posted?

There was some information in it about diet.

Dietary changes
You may find these tips helpful:

• instead of three meals a day, try more frequent, smaller meals– this will mean there is less food in your stomach and it will be easier to pass through your system
  • try soft and liquid foods, which are easier to digest
  • chew food well before swallowing
  • drink non-fizzy liquids with each meal
It may also help to avoid certain foods that are hard to digest – such as apples with their skin on, or high-fibre foods like oranges and broccoli – as well as foods high in fat (which can also slow down digestion).

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I eat 6 small meals a day, don't eat fried things, can't eat white bread, can't eat some salad things I do drink diet coke but not loads x

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has your Dr tried you on Motilium (Domperidone) or Metoclopramide? I only have suspected mild nerve damage but they do help me with stomach emptying. I also take PPIs for acid reflux.

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has your Dr tried you on Motilium (Domperidone) or Metoclopramide? I only have suspected mild nerve damage but they do help me with stomach emptying. I also take PPIs for acid reflux.

Thankyou for your comment. I've been on Domperidone and sometime they help the nausea so I might go back and try those for a short while again. Thankyou for your ideas x

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I was diagnosed as having a dlow colonic transit following a shapes test.

I aas going to be put to the top guy in London to discuss an electronic gadget to be impanted in my stomach.

I stopped jelly babies as hypo stopers and Everyday I have a teaspoon of flaxseed and chia seeds and this has completely reversed the stomach problems.

Did you have a shapes test? What tests did you have?

I would really recommend you stop jelly babies as hypo stoppers if you have them. I have maomi pinballs now x 3. I have nothing containing jelly or gelatine in my diet at all.

Try having a teaspoon of linwoods ground flaxseed a day... A bag is about £6.99 ish from them.. Probably less.. Take it every day for a month. I have mine on a ramekin of berries with double cream or sprinkled over a salad or my veg. Its tasteless.

I know that STC is not the same as gastroparesis but it is the stage before this occurs.. So it is worth giving it a go.