Whats the first record/CD you bought ?

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Iat the risk of sounding sexist, Pink Floyd is a male thing. I dare say I'll get loads of replies telling me that that is not the case but I don't have any female friends who like them either! We struggle with car music too as Mr Scandi doesn't like my music or is left cold by it. Too bad we have girls who like boy bands and ABBA . The youngest loves Aqua! He was obviously evil in a former life!:rolleyes:
At the risk of generalising, I think Prog Rock was (and is) mostly a bloke thing. When I went to see bands in the early seventies, the audience was generally about 90% male and loon pants, army surplus greatcoats and long, greasy hair usually featured heavily :)

I knew things had changed when I went to see the Police (Finsbury Park Rainbow, about 1980) with Mrs Hay-Char and the audience was about 75% teenaged girls, most of them, admittedly, swooning over Sting. At that point, the Police still had pretensions to musical credibility - Andy Summers had played with Soft Machine and Sting started out playing jazz - but the writing was clearly on the wall. Mind you, if I'd suggested that Sting would one day record an album of lute songs and a Broadway musical about ship-building on the Tyne, I'd probably have been laughed out of Town. :)

Punk was also much more inclusive, with bands like X-Ray Spex and the Slits providing positive role models for young women, and the crowds at gigs were much more balanced - and a jolly good thing too.

Mrs Hay-Char isn't wild about most of my fine collection of Prog Rock albums, but, if pressed, will admit to quite liking Elbow :D

Reactions: 2 people
C

chris lowe

Iat the risk of sounding sexist, Pink Floyd is a male thing. I dare say I'll get loads of replies telling me that that is not the case but I don't have any female friends who like them either! We struggle with car music too as Mr Scandi doesn't like my music or is left cold by it. Too bad we have girls who like boy bands and ABBA . The youngest loves Aqua! He was obviously evil in a former life!:rolleyes:
I think you're right Scandichick, it does seem to be the men who like them. Luckily Mr Chris & I do like most things though he skips Michael Buble & Seth Lakeman tracks. I've even caught him whistling along to Laughing Len :)

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One of my all time favourites that never dates........Mungo Jerry........In the Summertime
I saw mungo jerry as a student. Mr Ethyl's halls put on one of those vintage revival nights. Him, Screaming lord Sutch and The Troggs who were ace.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At the risk of generalising, I think Prog Rock was (and is) mostly a bloke thing. When I went to see bands in the early seventies, the audience was generally about 90% male and loon pants, army surplus greatcoats and long, greasy hair usually featured heavily :)

I knew things had changed when I went to see the Police (Finsbury Park Rainbow, about 1980) with Mrs Hay-Char and the audience was about 75% teenaged girls, most of them, admittedly, swooning over Sting. At that point, the Police still had pretensions to musical credibility - Andy Summers had played with Soft Machine and Sting started out playing jazz - but the writing was clearly on the wall. Mind you, if I'd suggested that Sting would one day record an album of lute songs and a Broadway musical about ship-building on the Tyne, I'd probably have been laughed out of Town. :)

Punk was also much more inclusive, with bands like X-Ray Spex and the Slits providing positive role models for young women, and the crowds at gigs were much more balanced - and a jolly good thing too.

Mrs Hay-Char isn't wild about most of my fine collection of Prog Rock albums, but, if pressed, will admit to quite liking Elbow :D

Mr Ethyl has a love of prog which I only partially share. I'm more a prog lite girl with Rush and The early Moody Blues stuff whereas he loved Yes , Genesis and The Enid.

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is probably one of the worst songs from the J5 collection!
Some of the songs that never seen the light were much better.
I like these sort for the dance routines more than the actual song.:D
smooth-criminal.gif

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First single was This Boy by the Beatles, first LP was Ummagumma by Pink Floyd, still one of my favourites :)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

I think that is generally true, although there were plenty of girls at uni who liked Yes, Genesis, Barclay James Harvest etc, but very few who liked (say) Van der Graaf Generator - still active and still a great band btw,

Mrs Sanguine likes Pink Floyd, me less so although I have bought CDs recently of Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother and Meddle. She also likes Radiohead, definitely a prog band in spirit.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mrs Hay-Char's fondest 70's memory is going to see David Cassidy; I've always been fighting a losing battle :).

She does humour me from time to time, by going to gigs with me and - I had forgotten this until you mentioned them - she quite liked BJH. I was never able to get her to see the inherent genius of Hatfield and the North, even though we were both at Uni in Canterbury but at a pinch, she would/will listen to Caravan.

My kids are into R&B (as defined nowadays) and other contemporary stuff but, interestingly, No 1 Son is doing Music Technology as an A level and has developed an interest in quite a lot of older or more left-field stuff. One of the assignments that he and his class mates have to do is to produce their own recording of a piece of music, using studio technology and the resources of their fellow students. Most of them are going for poppy stuff by people like Emelie Sandé but he is doing "Fake Plastic Trees" <<Proud Dad>> :D

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I was never able to get her to see the inherent genius of Hatfield and the North,

I dunno about being separated at birth, we must be clones lol.

If you don't know it, check out Earth to Ether by Theo Travis - a version of 21st Century Schizoid Man and Richard Sinclair on vocals on a couple of tracks.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll have to check out Theo Travis. I must stop this, because it's hi-jacking the thread, but Richard S used to hang around the University quite a lot, and sometimes played bass with a pick-up band who jammed in one of the colleges on Sunday nights - mostly funk-based stuff and unremarkable as such, but it was Richard Sinclair, for Chrissakes .

One weekend there was a more organised performance in one of the bigger campus venues, billed as "Richard Sinclair and Friends" I can't remember who most of the friends were, though istr that there were several of the Hatfields in evidence. What I do remember is that the drummer was Bill Bruford and that he was absolutely stunning.

Treasured memories .......

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
My first Classic music cd was - KennyG
Hauntingly gorgeous saxophone music .

Still chills me out to this day too .
Often played it to wind down for the day .
Especially dusk - night times .
So powerful to wind down and chill out with .

Last edited by a moderator:
C

chris lowe

First single was This Boy by the Beatles, first LP was Ummagumma by Pink Floyd, still one of my favourites :)
Ummagumma - the last Pink Floyd I had before they went up their proverbials! Who can forget Several Species of Small Furry Animals Grooving Together in a Cave With a Pict :hilarious:

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That has to be the best title ever :) I love their earlier stuff best, love everything up to and including Animals, then from The Wall onwards there was always something I didn't like. The Animals tour was the last time I saw them, saw them 8 times in all :)

A

AnnieC

My first ever record was Friendly Persuasion by Pat Boone had a real crush on him and saw him at the London Palladium

Reactions: 5 people