Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Great! i always think fun exercise is the best sort :) i recently took the kids to a skate park so they could do the ramps on their scooters, there were lots of kids there and my kids we too nervous to have a go, so in encouragement i took to the slopes, i got some very funny looks from the skater kids lol, this huge bloke on a scooter trying not to kill himself up and down the smallest ramps, it must have looked like a scene from mr bean crossed with a hairy biker episode

best of luck with your new toy :)

Reactions: 8 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Used to ice skate when younger .
Loved it - same with ballet too .

Improved my sense of balance a 'lot' ;)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Red wine when an adult can make you a bit unbalanced... The iceskating when younger allows me to stay more upright-lol!!

Stil take young kids ice skating now and teach them skating backwards and turns etc..

Was hopeless at ballet, but did try it when very young.. As i'm very practical and tomboyish I think my teacher probably recignised that I was never going to have 'Darcy' as my middle name!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snobs! Angry people who keep getting angry and can't calm down.
I have been ice skating three times this year, thanks to a friend of mine who was keen to go. I find it gives me great joy, and am hoping to carry on with it on a regular basis. I may take some adult group lessons. Lucky living in London I have a choice of rinks, with at least a couple of the outdoor rinks staying open till the end of February. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good stuff. I might try in-line too!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
QUOTE="Andrew S, post: 746496, member: 52728"]I have been ice skating three times this year, thanks to a friend of mine who was keen to go. I find it gives me great joy, and am hoping to carry on with it on a regular basis. I may take some adult group lessons. Lucky living in London I have a choice of rinks, with at least a couple of the outdoor rinks staying open till the end of February. :)[/QUOTE]
Its great - loved skating when was younger
Wonderful sense of freedom and balance skills .

Loved to skate backwards , twirl/spin and flat out speed skate
when ice rink was empty or quiet .

My dad noticed the link with my ballet and ice skating balance
and posture .
Enrolled me on lessons 3 times a week at Blackpool Ice rink .
Ballet was once weekly .

Wonderful memories for me to reflect upon .

I really encourage and recommend all who wish to give it a go or whirl
certainly to give it a try :)

Tips - always wear thicker socks , pants , gloves .
Boots can rub ankle area's , ice 'can' hurt on bum in thin layer pants, gloves protect
hands/fingers from ice/skater blades .

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Super memories anna29! I have now been skating 9 times, sometimes doing two hours rather than one. We bid a farewell to Canary Wharf skate last night as it is closing today.

milly_moo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I re-started ice skating a couple of years ago, after skating a bit as a kid (with mother's constant discouragement!) - it's great exercise and I even did a competition earlier this year. I got some inline skates for the summer but fell and hurt my thumb quite badly - they're nowhere near as manoeuvrable as ice skates :(

Reactions: 2 people

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree! I'm no pro at ice skating I mean I've been a few times for birthdays etc but it's a lot "easier(?)" to manoeuvre and your falling seems less dramatic than on in lines lol

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
There are bad falls on ice rinks too at times. There are ways to "go with the fall" to reduce the impact. One ice skating blogger is open about causing herself a spinal injury and having to stop skating. I have taken a few tumbles, usually after the endorphins have kicked in when I am singing, doing little dance moves and laughing. I have realised that I have to take it a bit more seriously (literally) in order to have a better chance of staying upright.
I have now had a couple of group lessons at Queens on Wednesday mornings, and am completely hooked.
I read somewhere that inline skates with "balls" rather than wheels give a closer approximation to ice skating.

netdogg2637

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily injections.
Inline skating is better in the long run, but requires work to skate to a high standard, to really get the benefits of skating, I skated for years at silver blades and planet ice, I'm older now but I still hope to get back skating , being type 1 is a drag, but without a push I can't work out like I use to, so for me skating is my goal, I would rather do that than sweat in a gym any day of the week!

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah sweet! I'm also type 1. I've got some inlines but I switched to long boarding back in the summer so skates were thrown into the cupboard, however I am tempted to give them another go! It's much more fun than sweating it out in the gym!