Travel, keeping insulin cool.

sharon4

Hi, please could you tell me how to keep my daily insulin cool without the use of cool bags for travelling?
Does any body have any tried and tested alternatives.
Thank you.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, please could you tell me how to keep my daily insulin cool without the use of cool bags for travelling?
Thank you.
A lot of us here use Frio insulin wallets. Not cool bags as such but you soak them in water and they work by evaporation to stop your insulin getting too warm. Just need to re-soak them in water every few days to keep them going.

Reactions: 2 people

sharon4

Thank you Robert but I was actually looking for something, possibly home made, and less expensive. But thank you for your quick reply.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Thank you.
How long are you travelling for ?
Cold or warmer climate ?

sharon4

Hi there, well it's only about 4-6 hours, but once there I also require some form of cool carry equipment for daily use in a hot climate.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is one of the reasons I really don't want to go on insulin, I spend a lot of time in my campervan when weather permits and I have a very dodgy fridge that won't work on gas anymore, only when the engine is running. My camper is the only thing that keeps me sane, I love being out on our moors in the south-west and without that it would change my life drastically, and not for the better!

sharon4

Hi Rowan. Oh it's sometimes just a card you are dealt that needs playing. I've been on insulin for 23 years but usually overcome problems. It is good to have the help of others on this site to discuss ideas with though. I am new to the group. I'm pleased you have found your own way of enjoying life. All the best.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi there, well it's only about 4-6 hours, but once there I also require some form of cool carry equipment for daily use in a hot climate.
Truthfully - a frio wallet is more/most suited for this .
Especially as you will be in a hot climate .
Insulin will need to kept at consistent temperature .

There are a range of sizes and prices of these .
You can try shop around for prices pre-buying .
Also ask about VAT free one(s) (diabetic state)

I got mine about £11.90 without Vat to pay .
It all helps the purse/wallet more this way :)

Reactions: 2 people

sharon4

Hi Anna, thank you for your very useful advice. I have just researched all the frio products on the computer and have decided which one to get. That as you say, certainly seems the best idea.

This was my first question on the forum and I am very impressed. Thank you to all who replied. :)