Scallops, any recipes please?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got them for tonight, never had them before so hope I like them! Any tips on best way to cook?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Pan fried in butter. Yum. For a bit of additional flavour, cut some bacon up small and fry till crispy in butter, then fry the Scallops in the same fat.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, I've got some bacon that needs using! :D Not decided what to have woth it yet, before I would have had chips!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alternatively, you could slowly sweat some fairly thinly sliced chorizo, until it sweats it's lovely orange chilli oil, then add the scallops to the pan to cook in the chilli oil.

They don't take too much cooking, so I tend to treat them similarly to how I would raw tiger prawns, by that I mean cooking any slower cooking ingredients first, then adding the scallops to cook in the juices and absorb the flavours.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I don't lie chorizo, will stick to the bacon and remember not to cook them for too long :)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just think, every scallop you eat you can say, there goes another £1.50 (restaurant prices).

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Try fry lightly in butter - add in some small prawns
Then add a good glug of single cream plus splash of white wine .
Add in some green beans pre cooked chopped up .
Pour into bowl and served hot .
Delicious :)

Gonna make this tomorrow for myself - now ;)

Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That sounds nice, but without the wine perhaps? I forgot i had some mackerel for tonight so will do this tomorrow :)

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I LOVE scallops, how have I never tried them before?! I fried them in butter then deglazed the pan with a little red wine and poured that over teh scallops and stir fry, definitely one to make again!

Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tesco have got a special offer on for frozen scallops, prawns and squid till end of Feb 'Any 3 for 2 Cheapest Product FREE' so I'm getting 3 packs of scallops :)

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If fresh then Raw chopped into 1/4" cubes with a bit of mayonnaise (sushi style) is my favourite , a close second is quickly fried in a very hot pan With butter just until the outside goes a little brown but the Center is still rare.

I'm lucky to live within 3 miles of a beach where hundreds wash up after storms, I love scallops they are one of my favourite foods.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I remember, opening the little pastel coloured scallops fresh from the quayside and eating them raw a-la oyster:cool: