Colonoscopy

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Thank you all. One more thing, do any of you live alone? Does it seem necessary to have someone stay overnight?
I'm having the procedure first thing Wednesday morning.

Hi, I live alone and tomorrow I'm having a laryngoscopy (other end to you) and because I live alone and have nobody near by I have to have an overnight stay in hospital. If you can have somebody collect you and stay over night. they will let you home. It's just a safety measure as you will still have the sedative in your system for many hours. Good luck

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I did call the clinic & the nurse said they won't give me the sedative unless I have someone staying with me overnight. Nothing specific to me as far as I understood. Just covering themselves I guess.

Possibly yes, but if your having the procedure done first thing in the morning it might give you ample time to recover, you could ask a friend to stay over and then ask the Consultant on the day if you need someone to stay with you overnight, if they say no then you can tell your friend they are not needed.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How can I put this.......I wasn't thinking of the sore bum aspect.........lol...If I ever needed one again I would sit in the bathroom and read for several hours. :eek:

I know exactly what you meant, but how many times can you wipe it before it gets sore.

iHs

I had a colonoscopy done a few years ago (thank G for pumps lol as the pump kept me nice and stable bg wise)

I had a mild sedative at the start of the procedure and was ok watching it all on the monitor but towards the end, it got a bit painful so asked to be knocked out and I didnt remember anymore after that.

I came round in the recovery area about 10mins after the procedure had been done and was ok, had a cup of tea and a biscuit and got dressed and went home with my OH. I didn't feel drowsy at all and slept ok at night.

To play safe.......keep bg levels a bit higher overnight by reducing the night basal or by eating some carb before going to bed.

You will also probably need to reduce your daytime basal after a day of sitting on the loo emptying your insides of everything you have eaten.

Good luck......its not that bad really and you may find it interesting to watch it all on the monitor

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2 hours after the first Picolax and.... nothing so far!
Yep that happened to me........the worst bit is when you think there is nothing left inside you, so you relax a bit, leave the safety of the bathroom........then whoosh! I hope it's much easier for you though. :)

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From another colonoscopy veteran: I went with light anaesthetic rather than general, so was also awake to see my beautiful insides. I found the process fascinating and not at all painful. The extent of the clear-out from the purge can be rather shocking though. I felt fine and clear-headed within a very short time and needed no assistance.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
2 hours after the first Picolax and.... nothing so far!

As nearly 2 hours have passed since you last posted we can only guess that it's finally working, good luck for the morning Duneplodder.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well actually no!
No effect whatsoever so far..

Really I'm very surprised it's not working by now, I had to go in for 6am in the morning and was told to drink 3 jugs of the laxative (sure mine was Movicol) in 2 hours before the procedure would take place, remember thinking at the one hour mark that it wasn't working then all of a sudden.....................

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think mine had worked by now, I really thought nothing was going to happen then.........from about 5 pm till 9 pm I think (it was a year ago sorry)