a bit confused

soapy1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told today that my blood glucose level was 53 on Christmas Eve and it was 58 on 12th January and this means I'm Type 2 diabetic - I was given a sheet printed off the internet and have an appointment for diabetic clinic mid February - I have no idea how good or bad this is or how to help myself . Before the first test, it was a fasting test and I'd been to the baths for an hour or so swimming so had nothing to eat until afterwards - around 10am . For the second I knew nothing about the diabetes implication but had gone on a no carb diet for just over 2 weeks and I'm not sure if this has affected it. The nurse wasn't really willing to answer my questions so I've resorted to surfing internet and found this site. My friend at work has a meter for her daughter and both days I measured 7 and 7.1 . I'm a bit confused because both are different types of units and not sure what it means . I was just told that I will find out more when I go to the clinic. I really do want to help myself just now though

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @soapy1 & welcome to the forum, what I'm going to do first is just Tag @daisy1 who will come along with a very long list of helpful information for you.

I will answer your question shortly.
Neil

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Soapy, and welcome,

Welcome to the diabetes club! You have made a good start by finding this forum. It is the best place for sound advice from fellow diabetics.

Your blood glucose tests were what is called HbA1c tests. These measure an average of your blood glucose over the previous 2 to 3 months, so what you did on the day of the test will have no bearing. Your low carb diet for 2 weeks prior to your second test can only have helped lower your glucose over that period. Sorry, but you are clearly diabetic - no getting out of it!!!!!!! :( However, the good news is, your levels aren't drastic, and with a suitable diet and a bit of effort you can get those levels down by the time of your next test.

The HbA1c test is measured in mmol/mol and our meters are measured in mmol/L This is a conversion chart http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html So your HbA1c of 58 equates to an average of 9.3mmol/l as per our meters.

If you wish to continue to low carb, have a look at this thread. You will find it useful http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/

Meanwhile have a read round and ask questions. @daisy1 will be along soon with some information for newly diagnosed.

Reactions: 6 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: 2 people

soapy1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks Neil- I should also add that my GP/Practice nurse have had me on 100mg Losartan for a year but weren't listening when I reported sise effects like breathlessness , swollen feet and ankles and a really bad cough . I started to swimming 4 times a week in June - and eventually around 24 Dec stopped them because they said there was a problem with my liver . BP at that point was normal and still is - just wondered if this can also be affecting me - so so many questions - just like to have answers :p

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi again @soapy1,

It is very confusing when you are first diagnosed the number you have been quote are the HbAc1 test which measures your average sugar levels over the last 2/3 months, above 48 you are classed as diabetic.

Your numbers are not particularly high com paired to some others others, but most certainly with some diet control you will be able to get those numbers down. The number you have individually tested for is for that 'moment in time', as your sugars will fluctuate all day according to what you eat.

Your HbA1c 58 equates to about 9.4 on your friends meter, so sometimes in the last 3 months your sugars have been rising above 9.4 and also been below 9.4 to get that average of HbA1c of 58. I hope this make sense

Normal figures are between 4 & 7.5 on the meter your friend let you use. That what you will need to aim for to get your overall figures down.

Ask any questions you want.

Neil

soapy1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hey thanks all already - would really have liked to be told all this at the nurse - at least I can work with something now - no knowledge is just not a good thing. after stopping those tablets I'm no longer bloated or breathless and have lost over half a stone too

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

Hello @soapy nice to meet you ....our other members have given you lots to,think and read about ...
I wish you all the best , you will find lots of support here , I am just dropping in to say hi ...kat

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hey thanks all already - would really have liked to be told all this at the nurse - at least I can work with something now - no knowledge is just not a good thing. after stopping those tablets I'm no longer bloated or breathless and have lost over half a stone too
Hi I can't really help you re the Losartan pills you were taking, but I see some information has come through for you which will answer some of your questions.

You will need to get those numbers down and the Low Carb Diet will help immensely along with the High Fat. Things will fall into place but you got a lot of reading to do.
Good luck
Neil

soapy1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
you are so right Neil - and thanks again - I'm someone who likes to have the facts and felt left a bit high & dry-

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. Just to add that the more you can find out here the better prepared you will be at your clinic in a few weeks. Since you've already tried testing your blood sugar you might consider getting a meter of your own and testing before every meal and two hours after. There are several meters to choose from but the Codefree one has the cheapest test strips. We Type 2's can't usually get them on the NHS. We can give you a code number to get a discount on the strips but hey no pressure!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello @soapy1 and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members to add to all the good advice you have received from members. Ask as many questions you need to and someone will come along and help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.