Anyone know a decent rice substitute ?

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My lass was planning on making a curry tonight (home made with coconut milk). I will admit I love curry,, well hers anyway but I had my once a week portion of rice on Friday so dont want any more tonight. Is there any kind of substitute that one could use in such a dish? I have been pondering for sometime on something that could be used instead in her rice meals??

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Cauliflower rice.
Put Cauliflower in Blender, and blend till fine, like rice, then cook with Onion in a Frying pan or in the Micro for about 8 minutes, don't add water, it should steam.
Its no carb as well, so will be good for your sugar readings Enjoy;)

Reactions: 2 people

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers for that I will definitely look into that :)

Ollie88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for those links Jack. The guy makes a lot of sense.

Cauliflower rice. First attempts with steaming were a disaster. Bland, soggy. BUT, gently fry some onion in coconut oil (can be spring onions) garlic and possibly spices, like cloves and one or two cardamom pods, add blitzed cauliflower and stir fry for a few minutes. Then add a handful of chopped coriander. LOVELY!

rden66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use quinoa as a substitute. In fact I prefer it to rice.

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
interesting again without knowing any better I would have just looked at that and saw a high carb content and not considered it.

One of the things I dont get Jack is when you look on the second link and it gives the breakdown per 100g how can 73g only be 24% ? Obviously im missing something but its what I would do if I picked it up in a shop and saw that I would think to mysrlf thats almost 75% carb ???

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Not sure the figures are right.
All I know for sure is I can tolerate barley really well.
I can tolerate porridge really well too where others can't.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Barley, quinoa, lentils still some carbs but definitely wont spike you as much as rice

cathymac

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, new to all this as partners diabetes and his levels were only confirmed today. Having spent last 3 hours on laptop researching food/nutrition etc I`m totally confused about rice. A lot of advice suggests basmati rice is ok but from the thread here it seems rice is generally only once a week. Any help much appreciated.
Is pasta good or bad?

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @cathymac. Yes, you will be confused. Most of us were to start with but it will all become clear if you stick around. The NHS advice is to eat carbs like rice, pasta, bread and spuds. Many of us don't, or not very often. We choose our food according to the test results we get from our meters. I had to buy mine but it was worth every penny. If I say abracadabra I hope @daisy1 will give you her wonderful advice sheet :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@cathymac

Hi Cathy and welcome to the forum :) For the information we give to new members please look at the link in my signature. I hope you find it helpful.

Reactions: 4 people

cathymac

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks for your responses last night. Much appreciated. Always wanted to write a cookery book - now I have a theme and the motivation :)

Cathy

cathymac

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @cathymac. Yes, you will be confused. Most of us were to start with but it will all become clear if you stick around. The NHS advice is to eat carbs like rice, pasta, bread and spuds. Many of us don't, or not very often. We choose our food according to the test results we get from our meters. I had to buy mine but it was worth every penny. If I say abracadabra I hope @daisy1 will give you her wonderful advice sheet :)
Thank you for saying abracadabra :) The advice sheet is wonderful. Things make a lot more sense now.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I eat bacon instead of rice. Then again, I didn't eat much rice before.

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Diet only
interesting again without knowing any better I would have just looked at that and saw a high carb content and not considered it.

One of the things I dont get Jack is when you look on the second link and it gives the breakdown per 100g how can 73g only be 24% ? Obviously im missing something but its what I would do if I picked it up in a shop and saw that I would think to mysrlf thats almost 75% carb ???

Hi, remember that dieta´ry fiber often is declared as a part of the total carbcontent. also, carbs are different depending on what source it comes from. For instance, Barley contains roughly 76% carbohydrates, 9% protein and 3% fat (rest will be small particles and some water content). Out of the carbs, 11 % is dietary fiber which is not broken down and converted to energy in our bodies but transferred through our gut to colon where microbes help to break som down. Therefore, barley only contains 65% carbs per definition og enegry giving material. Further on, the carbohydrates in barley consist of a higher degree of complexity and is not as readily broken down to glucose after ingestion. Therefore, barley is a great food and alternative to rice or potato. remember that all wholegrains (even brown rice and other wholefoods) are always better due to the higher fiber content and complexity in the kernel.

Happy barley day!