Lowest ever 3.3

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In fairness. The testing every few minutes you seem to have been doing may have added to your panic with the appearance of not rising fast enough..? The numbers look like a normal progression to me..

Back in the early days of hard hitting bovine insulin hypos.. All I had to go on was a vague few drops of pee in a chemistry set... Lol
I can seem to blagg normality on Novorapid & Lantus..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The panic mellowed after I got a few biscuits onboard ;). I was testing every few mins just as reassurance that the sugar was coming up.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The panic mellowed after I got a few biscuits onboard ;). I was testing every few mins just as reassurance that the sugar was coming up.

Fair comment.. I tend to give it half an hour. Though I have been known myself to track the rise as you have.. Your figures pretty much tally up with my findings. In my case with the help of a Mars bar which again is said to be slower than Gluco tabs.. Either way 20 minutes wait after anything puts me back in the "zone"... :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Jelly babies are hard core .... mainllining stuff.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jelly babies just taste like toilet block to me...!

I was once offered one by my nurse at a checkup as I told her I was low & tested 2.6.. I alway carry my own stash... She reckoned I just looked board.. I said OK just to liven this up I'll just do half... ;)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
You've tasted toilet block!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Straight from the packet or the bowl?
We should be told ......

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All this toilet block talk made me think of this, watch this, you'll thank me lol

Love it!!! LMAO!

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You've tasted toilet block!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Straight from the packet or the bowl?
We should be told ......

Lol. Yep I should explain... There seems to be a chemicle "representation" regarding the taste of of jelly baby. Just the smell from an opened packet makes me think of car air freshener...

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope you are feeling better now @britincali
It is not nice when you have your first proper one. Unfortunately it's fairly likely you will have plenty more.
I had one a couple of months ago where I got to 2.2 and didn't realise I was low, just had an urge to test. On the flip side I can sometimes be at 3.9 and it feels like the worst hypo I've ever had. Sometimes you end up feeling worse once the level has come back up.
Agree with a previous poster though, maybe have a look at what you treat your hypo with the next time. I use the small cans of full fat coke to bring me up as they are just the right quantity.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hypo remedies. Suggest keep 10 or 15g handy next time? Dextrosols are 3g carb each, so two is 6g and three is 9g. Alternatively, one finger of Kitkat is 7g. I know everyone says choc is slow for hypos, but it works for me. 25min to show up in BG but in the system at 15 mins (ten mins to get from major blood vessels to capillaries in our fingertips).

That's what I keep with me in my kit, anyway.

According to Carbs & Cals, 1 choc digestive is 9g carb, so three will give you a hyper.

Really cool people I know can manage with two dextrosols, but that depends on catching it early. Try not to overdo it though. Rebound yoyo effect very boring.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Jelly babies just taste like toilet block to me...!

I was once offered one by my nurse at a checkup as I told her I was low & tested 2.6.. I alway carry my own stash... She reckoned I just looked board.. I said OK just to liven this up I'll just do half... ;)
A nurse offered you toilet block!:wideyed:
Then you say you carry your own toilet block!:rolleyes:
then you "did" half a toilet block!:yuck:
*** ,you are weird down there:woot:;)

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I still remember my first hypo in 1999. I was quite excited because I could have some sweets without feeling guilty :p

britincali, soon they will be nothing but a minor annoyance, hang in there.

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heres my **** day in numbers..

View attachment 11275
I know it may be all new to you but trust me I'd kill for some figures like that! You ought to come and play with me some time. Yesterdays monstrosities were 3.8, 3.4, 2.3 and 2.7 to finish off the day. I made myself a slice of bread and jam and was then lying in bed worrying if I would have a night time hypo with just that so I had another one. I then woke up at 3.30am feeling like I'd been hit by a bus and had a reading of 22.7 and had to bolus big time.
You just get used to s**t like that sometimes. I just don't really worry about hypo's anymore, the only ones I do care about are the nasty unconscious night time convulsion paramedic type jobbies but luckily I don't really get them anymore.
But it's good you have had your first one and trust me they get easier to handle as you have a few more of them.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was diagnosed in October and the lowest ive been is 3.9, this was my first ever proper hypo.

Honestly one of the scariest feelings I've ever had (and I've done some crazy ****)

The first hypo is scary as you say, but at least now you've experienced one and you know what symptoms to look out for.

I was admitted to hospital when first diagnosed and spent 5 days their in total, they wouldn't let me home until I'd had a hypo, in the end they induced one by getting me to inject and not eat, still remember it to this day :(

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just now having my first proper hypo, BG at 3.3, shakey, shallow breath and feeling out of breath, sweaty.

Just ate 3 chocolate digestives and a cup of tea, gonna test again at 11pm
You should Carry Glucose Tablets, Chocolate biscits can take a while to bring you up, Lucosade or something with less fat in it will bring you up quicker

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do carry glucose tablets, I just used it as a chance to have something I really miss ;)

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@britincali

I know I am a bit late to enter this discussion but looking at your chart the bolus entry next to the carbs looks a bit too much. I can see that you had a bolus of 12 units for 50 carbs while you still have insulin on board from the previous injection.

Your basal is 8 units. Is that once a day?

My total daily insulin is approximately 28 unts. 14 units are basal once a day and the other 14 units are divided between meals. My carb to insulin ration being 1 unit for every 10 grams of estimated carbs plus a small amount of insulin for protein in a low carb meal.

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Amber, I'm roughly 1 unit of novorapid per 5 carbs. That last meal was a homemade bbq pork chop with sweet corn, I figured 50 carbs so 10 for the meal plus two to correct the 8.9,
I think I just misjudged the carbs, it was probably 30 g total :(
The lantus is 8 units at 11pm, I'm normally rock solid on that overnight with a max .5 mmol deviation.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Top tip - x3 jelly babies or x5 fruit pastilles rather than choc biscuits - they will raise your bg much quicker! Use a choc biscuit (or 2!) as a post low snack :) glad you are feeling better, I can relate to the tingly mouth feeling :-(