New poster and new to the pump today!!!

ak1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Guys,

Stubbled across this forum on my phone after browsing through the App Store.

I am a 35 year old PE teacher and I have had type 1 diabetes for 23 years.

I am very active as I exercise 4-5 times a week (run and play football).

The overall management of my diabetes has been poor over the last 18 years and recently I have developed complications such as retinopathy which has lead to laser treatment on both eyes.

Today I have started insulin pump therapy with the Roche Accu-Chek Combo pump and handset.

I am excited about the new form of treatment but would like to hear from anybody else with experience of the pump therapy or with similar circumstances to my own.

Any tips/advice would be more than welcome

ak1979

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum ak1979 :)

Great news about you starting on a pump, I'm sure the pump users will be along shortly to share their experiences, with regards to your retinopathy, just be sure to discuss with your HCP's about lowering your overall bg levels as a sudden improvement in diabetes control can make retinopathy worse, but as you'd expect it is beneficial in the long-term to get on top of your diabetes.

Take a look at the following, it has a wealth of information and advise on diabetic retinopathy which you should find useful:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/Information_for_patients.html

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Combo pump is brill.

They will have started you off on basic level doses according to your previous doses...You need to do your basal testing and find your peaks and troughs...

Accuchek are brilliant day or night.

Reactions: 4 people

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
image.jpg

Darwin195

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum!

I'm new to this forum and to diabetes :)

-Enjoy the forum and ask as many questions as you can if you are unsure:)

ak1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks guys.

I'm back at the clinic tomorrow to go through the last two days blood results and review how life on the pump is so far!?!

So far so good, glucose levels are much more normal since I've started on the pump and administering the bolus when your above normal is so easy and very accurate.

Disconnected last night to go for a 10k run and it took a few hours after the run for my levels to get back to normal but other than that it's great so far!!