Higher sugar level after moderate walking

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I find there is normally some glucose released by my liver.

But it's completely variable, depending on how much exercise I do, temperature, staying warm, amount of stored energy in my body previously, food in my stomach, exercise in the previous few hours, etc.
I know I will get something, if could be a quick peak, that's gone before I finish, it could be starting as I finish exercise, it could be lost in the background, so it does tend to be completely variable.
You should get a Freestyle Libre and see how your levels change on a continuous basis. It can be quite illuminating.

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
For your information who think tea/coffee/Biscuit are the reasons for higher BS after walk I am with such habit since long and there was no effect on after walk readings. I would rather trust on what Douglass said.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Ok, then it's just random. Good luck.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
What usually happens?
It varies but I too often get a rise after the exercise, other times a drop. I also get a rise after drinking peppermint tea when herbal teas aren't meant to affect blood sugar ... unless again it's early morning and stiff getting the liver dump?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
It varies but I too often get a rise after the exercise, other times a drop. I also get a rise after drinking peppermint tea when herbal teas aren't meant to affect blood sugar ... unless again it's early morning and stiff getting the liver dump?
Yes, me as well with regard to exercise. Aerobic exercise, such as walking or running either no affect or lowers BG. Lifting weights usually raises my BG. I think as long as the rise isn't too much then it's nothing to worry about. I don't drink tea.

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to have a similar trend to what people here have described. Aerobic exercise lowers my sugar levels. Anaerobic exercise increases them, but the reaction is not instant. In the case of the latter, my sugar levels sky rocket and I could be reading in the 18's 2 hours after training when I intially started at 7 with no carb fuel or bolus insulin in the system. Assuming that situation cannot be avoided through MDI, the key thing here is not to over correct as the sugars will come down rapidly after that.

I also use a heart rate monitor strapped to my chest during training to understand where my heart rate is compared to my average working heart rate (i.e where I cross over from aerobic to anaerobic) so I can adjust my effort accordingly.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could explain a lot; on Sunday I went for a walk before breakfast after a lie in, so this was about 10AM and I registered 5.6 measured immediately on my return and before having my breakfast. I didn't test afterwards. Today I had 5.6 before lunch, immediately after a walk into town and back (one hour in total and the return is up hill!). On the other hand I hardly get any readings lower than 5.5.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that BS can go up a bit, usually because of when I last ate. Sometimes I drop a bit while walking, again usually due to when I ate and active insulin. If it's 2-3 hrs since eating and insulin things (mostly) stay pretty stable.

mdafif

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am continuing to express my concerns on the same topics. Surprisingly, I am getting same readings (higher than usual) after walking 30 minutes. Yesterday, I checked BS before walking that was 7.3 and after walking 30 minutes it went up to 8.3 ( reading was taken after 15 minutes from the finish of walking) . I do not see any genuine reason for such rise of BS . Can anybody has a scientific explanation and any idea whether such BS has any negative impact? I do the walking always, and in the past few months always I had lower BS after walking, but increase of BS is being observed very recently ,may be week or so. Very strange !
I understand that if the blood glucose level falls too low (perhaps during strenuous exercise) the liver responds by releasing stored glucose into the blood stream, hence high readings. ....

Fromthailand

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your body stocks sugar to be released in your blood and give you energy when doing exercise. In other words, that is normal. By being active, you are "burning" the sugar that is sent to your blood and it won't end up in you belly if you do that regularly. It should come down after relaxing in the sauna or steam bath.

Reactions: 2 people