Self-test question

sjm1966

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Just a quickie (and very possibly been answered elsewhere) - does there tend to be any disparity between testing sites on one hand or the other or is it just me? I'm right handed but my left hand seems to yield lower BG results (using SD Codefree meter)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You are not alone. My testing tendency is therefor always test from the same finger and even the same part of the finger

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@sjm1966, hi! I'm using a freestyle freedom lite for testing and there seems to be not much difference with the other hand, 0.0-0.3 mmol at the most.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Just a quickie (and very possibly been answered elsewhere) - does there tend to be any disparity between testing sites on one hand or the other or is it just me? I'm right handed but my left hand seems to yield lower BG results (using SD Codefree meter)
Your (our) blood is not completely homogenous (big word for a Sunday morning isn't it) and you will get different results at different sites, it is quite normal. You can even get different results testing different parts of the same finger at the same time. Also remember that the dinky little meters we use have a +/- tolerance range, the results they yield can never be as accurate as lab testing.

edited:-
I once tested the same finger with 2 different meters and got a difference of over 2mmol/L !

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i do find a difference and also testing the finger next to each other

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. I find I get different results whether I use the same finger or different fingers, one hand or each hand. Some people have even used the same drop of blood and got different results.

Reactions: 4 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Add to that another variable ie the depth of penetration of lancet and the situation gets even more complicated.

Reactions: 6 people

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. I find I get different results whether I use the same finger or different fingers, one hand or each hand. Some people have even used the same drop of blood and got different results.

i've done this a couple of times and bluetit is absolutely right. not great margins but margins nonetheless..who knows why.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Add to that another variable ie the depth of penetration of lancet and the situation gets even more complicated.

Oh, I didn't know this :confused: o_O I'm using the SD Codefree but I do try to test from the same finger and area when doing a fasting and then again 2hrs or so later.

I'm still new to self testing although as a needle phobe I have to get hubby to do it whilst I shut my eyes :facepalm:and wait for him to stab me with the lancet!!

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's the difference between 4.5 and 3.7 same finger same site same drop of blood at the same time ;)

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is the 15% margin of error constant or could one measure be 15% below correct and one be 15% higher?

A

AnnieC

Yes you will get different readings everytime you test finger pricks are not as accurate as a proper bood test from the vein. Just take them as an average guide to what you eat