Colonoscopy

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lol - The Picolax experience is definitely worse than the procedure. Tomorrow will be fine after this! :)

Reactions: 2 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Like this, DP?
images

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dare I hope for a brand new " Picolax Thread " here ? :D:D:D

Seriously, I hope all goes well for you ! This time tomorrow, it will all be a memory :rolleyes:

Signy

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had a few colonoscopies but i was in hospital for most of them and was sedated, don't remember a thing about them :)
I had another last week and only had a local anaesthetic because my colon has been removed now so they didn't have to probe too far! Was fascinating watching on the screen with the doctor repeating "Interesting, very interesting" because my symptoms weren't typical! :eek:

Ladybird1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all. One more thing, do any of you live alone? Does it seem necessary to have someone stay overnight?
I'm having the procedure first thing Wednesday morning.

I have had this procedure done and had a light sedative. I didn't have anyone stay with me overnight, although I told the hospital I did. I just slept really well, woke up as normal. No problems at all. Good luck and try not to worry

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Relieved to report that the procedure went well. Nothing obvious found, though they took some biopsies to be analysed. Interesting movie on - "Journey to the centre of moi"!
There were a couple of very uncomfortable periods but nothing too bad.
I felt fine afterwards, tired but not too bad. Had a snooze in the afternoon. No problems dealing with the insulin & cooking. Had company all day but decided there was no need for my friend to stay..
Pleased I took today off as I feel pretty exhausted.
I was very glad I applied plenty of vaseline before starting the laxatives!
Thank you all for your encouragement & advice.

Reactions: 9 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good to hear you are ok and it wasn't too traumatic :)

Good luck with the biopsies , and keep us updated !

Signy

tyrex

Bit late to this topic but glad it worked out OK.

Out of interest, I used my normal DAFNE regime so did the basal insulin as normal, and bolused enough for a reasonable amount of Lucozade at my normal mealtimes. BG results were pretty much spot-on, very easy to control.

Felt rubbish & starving at the end of the fasting day, but the following morning before the procedure I was surprised to wake up feeling great, better than a normal day!

Also, I recommend the procedure without sedatives - the consultant had experience of people doing this (the nurses didn't!) and he talked to me throughout. No pain at all and was out of the hospital and able to drive myself home within just a couple of hours.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
T2, and only a sigmoidoscopy (up to the first major bend) so I just had the clear out and no need of sedation.
In my case I had a three day run in with a very restricted diet and then the clean out the day before.
I was complimented on the cleanliness of my insides.
Apparently some people find they don't like the process or just can't be bothered (or it just doesn't work right) and they have to be sent away to try again.
All in all, relatively painless and very interesting.

For more information on the cleansing routine you could go to Patient.co.uk where it is discussed in the fora.
Probably worth noting that the NHS is a loose collaboration of independent organisations so each area has a slightly different procedure for preparing yourself.

On the raw rear front, if you have a shower then you can just dab a little then wash yourself down with the shower head.
Just as clean, but possibly less painful in the long (er..) run.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I'm pleased everything went well for you and you managed without a sedative, you're braver than me.
I had a laryngoscopy on Tuesday afternoon with general anasthetic and I'm still very tired from it and have a very painful throat, but like you a good outcome, well done

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did have the sedative, so not that brave, but the after effects were OK.

Diabetes wise I feel my normal basal dose is pretty good, but I know from travel & holidays that stress, & diet changes effect my levels particularly overnight. I often find I need to reduce my basal & it takes 2 or 3 days to stabilise it.

With this in mind (after a light diet day) I reduced my Monday evening basal (Lantus) by 10%, but went lowish 3 times, correcting with Lucozade.
On Tuesday night before the procedure I reduced the basal by 20% but was still woken by my Dexcom low(ish) alarm at 05:00. I was able to treat without hypoing.

Couldn't help thinking that it would have been easier with a pump though..

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There you go. As with many unpleasant things in life, the anticipation is worse than the experience - and that's the most personal film you are ever likely to see!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad it went ok! I'm waiting on biopsy results too after mine last week, they say 2-3 weeks!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I'm pleased everything went well for you and you managed without a sedative, you're braver than me.
I had a laryngoscopy on Tuesday afternoon with general anasthetic and I'm still very tired from it and have a very painful throat, but like you a good outcome, well done
@poohtiggy
I hope you were allowed to :
a) Use a different machine to @DunePlodder
or
b) Allowed to go first!
;):confused::wideyed:

Reactions: 4 people

iHs

I did have the sedative, so not that brave, but the after effects were OK.

Diabetes wise I feel my normal basal dose is pretty good, but I know from travel & holidays that stress, & diet changes effect my levels particularly overnight. I often find I need to reduce my basal & it takes 2 or 3 days to stabilise it.

With this in mind (after a light diet day) I reduced my Monday evening basal (Lantus) by 10%, but went lowish 3 times, correcting with Lucozade.
On Tuesday night before the procedure I reduced the basal by 20% but was still woken by my Dexcom low(ish) alarm at 05:00. I was able to treat without hypoing.

Couldn't help thinking that it would have been easier with a pump though..

Glad you got through it all ok . The samples I hope were polyps and removing them is a good thing......better out than in

A pump would have only made life easier as you could have done a TBR (which is what I did as didnt want to go low laying on the table :D:rolleyes:). but you had the Dexcom anyway so all was ok

Hope you get back to normal again :)

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
@poohtiggy
I hope you were allowed to :
a) Use a different machine to @DunePlodder
or
b) Allowed to go first!
;):confused::wideyed:
Hopefully different machine as different hospital and opposite end! And yes I was first on the afternoon list, and I think he was done in the morning anyway. suffering today though as they did a biopsy at the back of my tongue and it feels like they did it with a blunt scalpel!!! Thankfully nothing bad or scary found, so am happy