Don't understand these crazy readings!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last nght I was 7.6, lowest I've been for a long time. I had a bedtime snack with some carbs, I thin slice of bread, and within an hour I was 11.3.
Got up this morning and it was 17.6 and after a bit of readng came across the Dawn Phenomenon which I thought explained it. No carbs for me today i thought, so had eggs and bacon for brunch. An hour later I was 19.7. Am confused now, I've had no carbs at all today!

C

catherinecherub

So what were your meals/snacks yesterday? (A slice of bread without fat/protein/fibre added would raise your blood sugar)

What was your reading before the brunch?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday I had veg soup for lunch, levels went down slightly, then mackerel and veg and 2 hash browns for dinner, levels went down afterwards, they been going down all day, no rises. Bedtime it was 7.6, then thin slice wholemeal bread and cheese and it's been going up ever sonce.
A small pieve of cheese this morning, and before brunch today was 17.6, and 19.7 an hour later. This is all I've had today.

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited by a moderator:

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And now another hour on and it's gone down to 13.7. Crazy.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
probably a liver dump, your BG may have dropped to 6 and your body thought you were starving, as if it was 3 :)
you were 30, I wouldn't eat any carb except for non-starch veg, no sugars including fruit/juice
f

It was 17.6 when I got up at 10.30am today, then 19.7 at 4pm today after egg and bacon, I'd had no carbs since midnight How many hours does the liver dump go on for?
Then it drops to 13.7 just under an hour later.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was 17.6 when I got up at 10.30am today, then 19.7 at 4pm today after egg and bacon, I'd had no carbs since midnight How many hours does the liver dump go on for?
for T2
the liver can dump several times a day and your hormones control how much, it's one way your body keeps stable BG between meals and overnight.
At the moment you are all over the place, ask your Dr, but I wouldn't worry about it too much for now. I assume they gave you metformin, that takes 3 weeks to kick in and will help with liver dump and dawn P.

mine stabilised within a month on meds and LCHF

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

When are you testing? Are you testing before meals then again 2 hours after your first bite? This is the right way to do it (plus fasting and bedtime) Can you tell us what all your readings have been today and when they were taken?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've given all today's readings above, and I've just done it again (been asleep for 3 hours!) and it's 7.5! I've been diabetic for 10 years and been on Metformin all that time and for the last few years on Gliclazide too, now on maximum dose for both. I've had other problems to deal with and the diabetes had unfortunately taken a very back seat until a couple of weeks ago when I had 'a kick up the bum' as expalined in my intro ;)
but this liver dump isn't keeping my levels steady in between meals at all, it's going sjy high even when I haven't eaten?
I'm testing just before I eat then an hour and 2 hours afterwards. And fasting, which have been some of the highest readings! I've got a fasting blood test at teh surgery soon, it's not going to look good on me if it's high again!
off to get dinner now, will post readings later.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Eggs do equate to approx 4g in carb value for me....each.

I'm not type 2 but I do know that my levels will rise if I have 2 boiled eggs.

However your rise was not actually huge after your brunch. If you had been in the 5 or 6 range initially it would have been acceptable. Your pre egg n bacon was too high, not the result after.. That would have been acceptable if you weren't starting off at 17+.

Reactions: 3 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I find i do need to eat something every few hours otherwise my liver dumps. The worst day is when i have to go for fasting blood tests. Im up at 7.30ish but by the time i get to work and eat something it can be 9.30am by which time my sugars often in the 10's. I now take cheese for this breakfast and slowly by the middle of the afternoon, after low carb lunch my BG has started to go down. it does take a while but i know now i need the fat to give me energy and stop my liver dumping.

It takes time to figure out what our bodies are doing and how to conteract it.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought eggs were carb free? That#s why I was surprised it had risen, I've had other carb free meals where m levels haven't changed
And I do know my levels are too high, but as I explained to anyone who wants to read my intro, there are reasons for that and I am dealing with it. And doing pretty well even if I say so myself.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sorry, I saw your post saying you were 30 last week and now lower, I assumed you were just starting..If it was me, I'd go back and see the dr,

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought eggs were carb free? That#s why I was surprised it had risen, I've had other carb free meals where m levels haven't changed
And I do know my levels are too high, but as I explained to anyone who wants to read my intro, there are reasons for that and I am dealing with it. And doing pretty well even if I say so myself.

I don't count any carbs for eggs, and the book Carbs & Cals shows no carbs for boiled, fried, poached, or omelettes.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm starting again Jack ;) I have several other chronic illnesses and very strong drugs that all affect my blood sugars so I'm trying extra hard to get a grip on it. Doubt I'll ever get down to pre-other illness stable levels but I can do whatever I can to stick to a decent diet.

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last nght I was 7.6, lowest I've been for a long time. I had a bedtime snack with some carbs, I thin slice of bread, and within an hour I was 11.3.
Got up this morning and it was 17.6 and after a bit of readng came across the Dawn Phenomenon which I thought explained it. No carbs for me today i thought, so had eggs and bacon for brunch. An hour later I was 19.7. Am confused now, I've had no carbs at all today!

I'm sorry Rowan, I don't understand. When did you eat?
You were 7.6 at bedtime?
You got up at 10-30 and were 17.6
Bacon and eggs for brunch, but when did you eat this?
19.7 after an hour, but what were you before? and is that the only meal you've had today?

C

catherinecherub

Hi @rowan,

I think that you need some professional input about your dietary needs and why your blood sugars are not stable.

You have had a colectomy and that brings problems for your digestive system regarding absorption and the time

taken to digest foods, something that the majority of us do not suffer with.

I know it is difficult for you to find a suitable diet as all the foods recommended for you do nothing to help the diabetes but are easier on your system.

I wonder if the Gastroenterology Unit that you go to has a dietitian that can deal with your issues. We can help with the diabetes side with our

experiences and suggestions but we do not know the best way forward for your other health issues.

Reactions: 4 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have an appointment with the diabetic nurse on Friday and was told she would refer me to a dietician if she thought it would help. i'm going to tell her I need help, combining the 2 dietry needs is not easy and I can't afford my glucose levels to stay as high as they have been.
I must admit I hadn't thought about the absorption and time taken to digest food, it must make a difference, thanks for the remiinder! I will tell the nurse on Friday that I need help from someone who understands that side of things as well as diabetes.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, ans thanks to everyone for the help I've had so far x