take aways and gestational diabetes?

Shellx

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
My body seems to handle sugary foods well, in the means of fruit and the odd chocolate treat. But when it comes to carbs my sugar levels rocket from a 4 to 8+, cant even have a pack of crisps it seems! - I'm still learning, iv changed my diet greatly but have been told to feel free and 'experiment' with what foods I can and can't handle.

Other half has just got back from work and said he really fancies a take away curry! We don't really have alot of take aways, I like cooking my own foods but now I'm fancying one too!

Is it 'safe' to have one? Is anything better to have than others from the menus? In regards to sauces or sides etc?

I'd like more info on different take aways too for future reference, they're so handy Especially when baby is born, the other half cant cook! Lol

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My 2 cents..I'm LCHF and under 50g carb/day.. you don't want to do that when you're pregnant. but one very LC meal is ok
when eating out, I would go for meat and veg, eg tandoori chicken and non starch curry veg dish
. the sauce dishes have carbs, but you could try them...
I wouldn't have rice or breads this time and see if this goes ok, take some home for supper :)

Shellx

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
So I would be ok with a dry meat dish, maybe a kebab and a veg/salad side? I love a fresh kebab, not keen on sauces, have to really fancy them and when I do have a curry, I never go for a cream based one.

Plus I havent got much in for dinner, poorly toddler, if take away is ok as a one off, then I may have to try and see!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited by a moderator:

Shellx

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Ordered a lamb rogan josh + a mix kebab starter.

Only had a small helping of rice with my curry, and a plain poppadom. Before eating I was testing at 5.6, my post meal test (nhs guidlines say an hour after finishing meal, I leave it a little longer as iv heard two hours is best. Levels after my binge was 6.2.

I thought it'd of been sky high, especially after lunch - tomatoes, wholegrain seeded bread and scrambled eggs and a pack of crisps was 7.9 with a before reading of 4.3

Now iv got to figure out what foods effect me, and what gives me a high readinf because all of them seem pretty low, apart from when I had crisps today.