First dinner outing

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Went out to eat for a friend's birthday tonight. I've been anxious about eating out but had read a few threads on here so felt prepared. Ordered chicken stuffed with mushrooms wrapped in ham with a creamy mushroom sauce, without the potatoes. It came with vegetables but mostly parsnips and carrots, but I fished out the green beans and ate those. I also snaffled some left over coleslaw from my neighbour. Could have had the cheeseboard but it was really pricey so had an espresso instead and had some cheese when I came home as I was still a bit peckish.

Not sure if the coleslaw was ok but it was easier than I thought!

Reactions: 9 people
S

Sable_Jan

Went out to eat for a friend's birthday tonight. I've been anxious about eating out but had read a few threads on here so felt prepared. Ordered chicken stuffed with mushrooms wrapped in ham with a creamy mushroom sauce, without the potatoes. It came with vegetables but mostly parsnips and carrots, but I fished out the green beans and ate those. I also snaffled some left over coleslaw from my neighbour. Could have had the cheeseboard but it was really pricey so had an espresso instead and had some cheese when I came home as I was still a bit peckish.

Not sure if the coleslaw was ok but it was easier than I thought!
Hi, do you test before and 2 hours after your meal to find out how the food has affected your blood sugar levels? Although root veggies do have carbs you may find you can eat some of them - although easiest to test at home first. You can build up a list of what makes your bs spike and what you are ok with too.

Like you, I was in the prediabetic range last year but by getting myself a meter and testing the foods that I ate I am now classed as @normal@ again :playful::playful::playful:

Still not stopping testing though.......don't want to get back to where I was when its so easy to keep things in check. Some of my favourite foods I can still eat - in smaller portions

Reactions: 3 people

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My meter has only just arrived so I am currently a blood meter virgin! Need time to just sit down and get my head around it then I'll get cracking. It feels like a significant step - like clearing out that little corner of denial I've been protecting! But I also know it's the only way for me to know what's going on and what I can and cannot eat, so I WILL get on to it.

It's great to hear such encouraging news like yours Sable_Jan - I hope I can get my readings right down but I also know this is a permanent life change for me, and to be honest I feel so much better now I'm looking after myself more, I wouldn't want to go back to what I was doing anyway.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your meal sounds delicious, but you may find that restaurant sauces are not always a wise choice as they often thicken it with flour. Just something to think about for the future - when you start testing!

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Hedonista - I had a similar experience on Saturday as it was my 1st meal out since following the strict regime from mid Dec. Went to a Thai and I was worried as to how my BS would react. The restaurant laid on the prawn crackers and unfortunately my will power was not strong enough to resist. I had about 6 which was probably excessive. I ordered a soda and lime so drink wise I think I was fine. It actually tasted okay which I was surprised about. For main course I had a Grilled sirloin steak tossed in a spicy Thai dressing with red onion, lemongrass, coriander, spring onion and mint.
End result was 4.6 after 2 hours which I was pleased about.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Hedonista - I had a similar experience on Saturday as it was my 1st meal out since following the strict regime from mid Dec. Went to a Thai and I was worried as to how my BS would react. The restaurant laid on the prawn crackers and unfortunately my will power was not strong enough to resist. I had about 6 which was probably excessive. I ordered a soda and lime so drink wise I think I was fine. It actually tasted okay which I was surprised about. For main course I had a Grilled sirloin steak tossed in a spicy Thai dressing with red onion, lemongrass, coriander, spring onion and mint.
End result was 4.6 after 2 hours which I was pleased about.

That is exceptional after that dinner, SKS. Did you test at any other time?

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is exceptional after that dinner, SKS. Did you test at any other time?

To be honest I could have tested after 1 hour but I was a bit scared of what the result would be so I waited until the 2 hour came up. Fasting following morning was 4.6