When mum and dad are split

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm feeling so angry, my little girl was diagnosed just six weeks ago and when we were in the hospital her dad came to visit ( we split 18 months ago ) and listened to everything the dsn had to say and I thought had taken it on board. She visits him every other weekend and so has been several times since diagnosis. Every time though there has been something that he's not taken care of properly. The first time he didn't get up with her to help her check bloods and help her inject. The second time I found out she went out to play away from the house with no hypo stuff on her and didn't check levels before she went and this last weekend i turned up to find her eating a big bag of fizzy cola bottles....his response was ' it's a treat because I don't see her very often' she was upset and told me she knew she shouldn't have them but daddy said it would be ok!! He just doesn't get how serious D can be and I'm so upset and angry I just needed a little rant and to know if anyone else struggles with an ex not taking things seriously enough :-(

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi bekkig74, you are doing well and your daughter is a smart girl! With just a little bit of coaching she'll be ok, get her to accept things from her " dad" gracefully...then say thanks dad....i'll save these for later , then she can fetch these home to you and you can explain whats good and not so good to eat and why, all the very best to you ::))

Reactions: 7 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi bekkig74, you are doing well and your daughter is a smart girl! With just a little bit of coaching she'll be ok, get her to accept things from her " dad" gracefully...then say thanks dad....i'll save these for later , then she can fetch these home to you and you can explain whats good and not so good to eat and why, all the very best to you ::))
Great reply Clive :)

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, it's difficult when parents split and the one who only see's the child at weekend's does tend to spoil and be more relaxed with a regime.
Clive has made a good suggestion. Honestly ( even though it may be difficult to do !) try to be more friendly in saying that, WE need to keep her blood sugars as stable as possible for her long term health and you know How difficult it is, but it you could BOTH work together on this she will be a healthy and a happy child, as she already gone through her parents separation.
Treats are great for kids, but maybe something more suitable like a comic, a book,lego or colouring book, then he can be involved too with reading and colouring in :)

I hope a happy medium can be achieved, it's about trying to stay calm?:oops: and taking lots of deep breaths.

Good luck RRB :)

Reactions: 4 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@BekkiG74
This is a difficult situation, with you being separated and probably needs to be a 2 pronged attack on the D;
Your little girl needs to learn what to do and what not to( foods activities etc)
You and your partner need to learn a united front (as you say he may not yet have fully taken on board the consequences of slack control). Like it or not, you need to work together on this!

Reactions: 6 people

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone! It is very difficult and all I can do is keep on trying and keep on including him in everything. Hopefully he will eventually take it on board. Thanks again for all the great advice! :)

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
get your childs diabetic team to have an appointment with him and explain that it isn't a joke and he needs to take it seriously.
he won't listen to you is my guess.

Reactions: 2 people

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks! Yes I spoke to them today and they are happy to intervene , so I feel happier about the whole situation now

Reactions: 4 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Thanks! Yes I spoke to them today and they are happy to intervene , so I feel happier about the whole situation now
Thats a good sugestion , hope all resolves ok ,keep us posted