Had a kick up the backside!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I've just ckecked my blood, it's 7.6 !!!! Gobsmacked! A week ago it was over 30!
I know that my step sister who has had an ileostomy and now has a bag also finds that she can't eat any green veg as it produces a lot of gas and causes her bag to basically explode off her!

She's not diabetic, but I really would suggest the carbs n cal book.

I know my step sis doesn't find problems with eggs as a snack. She will mash them up and have with a variety of mayonnaise or a mild curry mashed in to the yolks. Just takes them with her in a tiny pot when she goes out with a teaspoon. At home she puts the egg mash on ritz cheese biscuits as I think 7 of them are about 17g when I looked. So a couple of them wouldn't raise bloods too much.

It is going to be trial and error for a while....

Nice to see that your bloods have lowered....

Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm more worried about blockages than gas, I had a blockage after eating a handful of peanuts and it was agony for the whole night until the next afternoon! Raw veg and leafy veg can also cause blockages, as can mushrooms which I've been scared to try ever since, which is a shame because I love them and they can make meals so much more interesting.
I think I'm starting to get scared of carbs now - 17g for a snack seems very high, or maybe I'm taking low carb a bit far?

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for pointing out the Carbs & Cals book. Just ordered it. Was debating if should just go for the app but might as well get the book as a good reference point.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm more worried about blockages than gas, I had a blockage after eating a handful of peanuts and it was agony for the whole night until the next afternoon! Raw veg and leafy veg can also cause blockages, as can mushrooms which I've been scared to try ever since, which is a shame because I love them and they can make meals so much more interesting.
I think I'm starting to get scared of carbs now - 17g for a snack seems very high, or maybe I'm taking low carb a bit far?

Rowan 17g was for 7 biscuits!!! As a snack two should be plenty!! Nom, nom!!! -lol!!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just thought I'd mention, i also have ME, Ffibromyalgia, Osteo Arthritis and Psoriatic Arthritis, I suppose the inflammation doesn't help my glucose levels either?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just thought I'd mention, i also have ME, Ffibromyalgia, Osteo Arthritis and Psoriatic Arthritis, I suppose the inflammation doesn't help my glucose levels either?

I don't know, but a low carb diet should help the inflammation.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In all the years I've had the arthritis and fibro no medical person has ever mentioned low carb can help inflammation, I so hope it works! ;) I'm also hoping it helps the pustular psoriasis, that's what stops me walking far becasue of teh pustules on my soles, very painful! I've heard several people say that cutting sugar and bread helped them, and they're the two things I've cut right out :).

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have noticed alread that I'm feeling better than a couple of weeks ago, the bone-numbing tiredness has eased a lot and I'm actually going to try not having a nap this afternoon!
And I've got rid of the headache that I'd had for days, I never get headaches so it could have been the high levels?
Still got teh blurry eyes though, that's been gradually getting worse over teh last couple of months and will be having eyes checked, sight and retinal.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I was dignosdd with fibromyalgia.. But undiagnosed now!! From adding more fat.. Better for brain and mobility....

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Yes I have a meter now and had a few surprises with it! I always thought porridge was the best breakfast for us until my blood rose from 21 to 29 an hour afterwards, didn't think it would rise that much so I'm not having porridge any more.
Today I had one slice of bread with smoked mackerel and cucumber, was 16.2 before and 1 hour later my levels were 21.6, 2 hours later 27.1! Really couldn't understand that, what would it have been if I'd had asandwish?!
They went down to 13 before dinner, such wild fluctuations, is that normal?
I mentioned it to the nurse and she just said not to test during the day, just once in the morning and again at night, but I need to know what food I can eat, and aren't we supposed to try and keep it as level aspossible?
My bs was 13 when diagnosed. I now low carb. Bs now mostly in 5s. Have a look at my stats and this website
www.dietdoctor.com