Mandatory Meter & Strips - NHS Choose GlucoRX

Benjy-Boo

Hi, New to the forum, hope I'm posting in the correct area.

For the past 2 years I have been quite happy using my Accu-Chek Aviva Nano, its small, light, blacklit display, solid and easy to use. :)

Now my GP has said the NHS is changing the use of Meters and test strips and have chosen GlucoRX, so I will no longer be able to have Accu-Chek testing strips. :(

Not only is the GlucoRX nexus a bulky meter, it takes 2 AAA batteries making it heavier, the test strips wobble in the test slot and it took three attempts and a larger quantity of blood to get it to register. (I find it hard even on full jab to get blood out of my fingers) :cry:

Its also like going back to the older days, I remember my Grandmother had to put individual lancets in the lancer and replace it after each use. This takes time, my Accu-Chek had a FastClix Lancer with 6 lancets in each cartridge. It also worked first time with a smaller amount of blood, the test strips just draw it up.

Is it really mandatory/compulsory?

Many Thanks.

Benjy-Boo

I would just like to stick with the accu chek nano. But they use accu chek strips and from what I'm being told I will not be able to ask for a repeat for them on the NHS. Just these new cheaper ones. GlucoRX strips. Have you been told in your area that you are going to have to change meter? Or is it optional?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using DCUK Forum mobile app

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been using a GlucoRx kit since February and though I don't know any other meter it does it's job. My strips don't wobble and seems to register ok with quite a small amount of blood.
With diabetes on the increase it's not surprising that the NHS are doing a deal on the cheaper model.

Like I say my GlucoRx does it's job, the kit bag fits in my jacket pocket and the strips and lancets are easy to get on repeat free prescription. I also downloaded the free software and can produce neat graphs and reports of my blood sugar readings.

I'm happy enough with my GlucoRx and if that is what the NHS are going with as standard then so be it.

It does its job.

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
scottish-jim said:
I've been using a GlucoRx kit since February and though I don't know any other meter it does it's job. My strips don't wobble and seems to register ok with quite a small amount of blood.
With diabetes on the increase it's not surprising that the NHS are doing a deal on the cheaper model.

Like I say my GlucoRx does it's job, the kit bag fits in my jacket pocket and the strips and lancets are easy to get on repeat free prescription. I also downloaded the free software and can produce neat graphs and reports of my blood sugar readings.

I'm happy enough with my GlucoRx and if that is what the NHS are going with as standard then so be it.

It does its job.

I agree. I've always thought it's crazy the NHS doesn't standardise meters. Cost savings will be huge. It may not suit everyone but they all have to meet certain tolerances and accuracy. As long as they remain free on prescription to me, no problem.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kman

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Knowing others Won't learn from my mistakes, Being TERMINALLY ILL !
In Leicestershire the choice is now from just 3 meters, in Nottingham just 1 meter and the relevant strips to each meter, this has been in force since September,

I don't like not having a choice, but in the end we use what we are given, pay for strips, or don't test, and believe me I do N T advocate NOT testing,

Benjy-Boo

I understand and quite right that the NHS should make savings. I have seen the price of other brands including Accu-Chek's test strips. Which is the most expensive part of diabetes testing.

I will have to start using the GlucoRx Nexus, but I'm hoping I can still use the Accu-Chek FastClix Lancer and Lancets on the NHS as it seems ridiculous going back to the old single use lancets. My Grandmother was Type 1 Diabetic and I can remember the amount of time my Grandfather took changing the lancets, including having to have a sharps box.

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I live near Cambridge, and have been told to stop using my AccuChek Nano. I've been issued with an iCare Advanced meter, which works fine, but is bulkier than the Nano. Test strips seem to be unavailable except on prescription, so I just hope my doctor doesn't decide to cut down on my allowance as I won't be able to buy them anywhere else.

Benjy-Boo

Results of 3 Meters...

I decided to check my new GlucoRX, which is the only brand now available free on the NHS in my area, weird results. Perhaps the GlucoRX is more accurate than Accu-Chek?

Ouch! 4 lancets used.
1st TEST Accu-Chek Nano Said 11.2mmol/L at the same time GlucoRX Nexus said 10.7mmol/L
2nd TEST Accu-Chek Nano Said 11.8mmol/L at the same time GlucoRX Nexus said 10.6mmol/L
3rd TEST Accu-Chek Nano Said 11.4mmol/L at the same time GlucoRX Nexus said 10.6mmol/L
4th TEST Accu-Chek Nano Said 11.8mmol/L at the same time GlucoRX Nexus said 10.4mmol/L

Making me think the GlucoRX is more accurate?
Tried by older Bayer Contour Meter and that said 13.7mmol/L !

Are meters really that accurate, I've gone from just over what I should have been 2 hours after eating to quite a bit over.

PeterHall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm just switching to a GlucoRX as the decision locally is to save money. One comparison test was a little lower than my old accu-chek but I'll do so more. The technology for GlucoRX is supposed to be the latest so should be more accurate than the accu-check which I've had for over 5 years. I believe a lot of the meters share the same Korean technology anyway.

I will also check the meter with the provided test solution. What's a few strips if they're now half the price!

Agreed the single lancet is a step back and I've taken the precaution of getting a spare of my accuchek multiclix and not asked for the lancet part of my prescription to be updated ;)

The size is a little bulky but there is also a nano version using the same strips which if push comes to shove I'll buy myself - seen it for approx £11 deliver on the 'net.

Another plus is that my prescription is now for 200 strips rather than 100 (and that had taken some negotiation).

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@PeterHall
Give the manufacturers a call and they may send a "freebie" meter:)
Nothing ventured, Nothing gained!

Last edited by a moderator:

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can use any finger pricker you like with any meter, I use a One Touch finger pricker with a Wavesense Jazz machine. The difference in cost of lancets isn't as much as the strips, so ask your GP if you can still have the lancets you like.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Results of 3 Meters...

I decided to check my new GlucoRX, which is the only brand now available free on the NHS in my area, weird results. Perhaps the GlucoRX is more accurate than Accu-Chek?

Ouch! 4 lancets used.
1st TEST Accu-Chek Nano Said 11.2mmol/L at the same time GlucoRX Nexus said 10.7mmol/L
2nd TEST Accu-Chek Nano Said 11.8mmol/L at the same time GlucoRX Nexus said 10.6mmol/L
3rd TEST Accu-Chek Nano Said 11.4mmol/L at the same time GlucoRX Nexus said 10.6mmol/L
4th TEST Accu-Chek Nano Said 11.8mmol/L at the same time GlucoRX Nexus said 10.4mmol/L

Making me think the GlucoRX is more accurate?
Tried by older Bayer Contour Meter and that said 13.7mmol/L !

Are meters really that accurate, I've gone from just over what I should have been 2 hours after eating to quite a bit over.
Those results don't really show that any of the meters is more or less accurate than the others. The two new meters are within the accepted tolerance of each other and even the old meter is not far off being within +/-10% of the average of all 3 and within 15% of the average of the new two.

PeterHall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I've found a bit more on accuracy. All meters have to comply with an ISO standard which the GlucoRx products do. This states an accuracy of 15% for above 5.55 mmol/l or +/- 0.83 mmol/l below 5.55 mmol/l. Therefore, it's perfectly likely you'll get readings from 2 machines 10% apart.

GlucoRX devices are manufactured by Tai Doc in Taiwan. Other companies manufacture in Taiwan e.g i-sens (but I don't think there's any shared manufacturing as I previously thought). Relevant Tai Doc informations is here:
http://www.taidoc.com/Blood-Glucose-Monitoring-System-list.html.

Couple of other further thoughts:
  • Meters are only going to be as accurate as they are forced to be by standards and the progress of innovation. The ISO standard was +/-20% in 2003 so a little bit of progress. All better than trying to guess a colour on a urine stick.
  • A quick google of Roche Profits (manufacturers) of accu-chek will give you a number in the billions of whatever currency. It's time the price of strips came down and perhaps when the whole NHS starts to switch to GlucoRx then prices for all strips will drop and we'll get some choice again.

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I have just been handed this same machine, I haven't used it and I hate it already. After 38 years of T1 diabetes, I have just about been lucky with choosing the BG meter and strips - up until now that is.

GlucoRX nexus is whole lot a bulkier, heavier meter, the only description that comes to mind is Brick! I want my Accu-chek nano and One Step Ultra Easy back :(

But on top of all that, I use the Omnipod pump which takes Freestyle strips and I have been denied this also.

I have been given only half the normal amount of monthly testing strips for the new meter and they will not put on this repeats either - what is going on - seriously?

I feel I am going back to the dark ages.

(Sorry I just come back from the GP having been handed this silly replacement meter and am so so so not happy and felt I needed to vent somewhere :mad:)

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I have just been handed this same machine, I haven't used it and I hate it already. After 38 years of T1 diabetes, I have just about been lucky with choosing the BG meter and strips - up until now that is.

GlucoRX nexus is whole lot a bulkier, heavier meter, the only description that comes to mind is Brick! I want my Accu-chek nano and One Step Ultra Easy back :(

But on top of all that, I use the Omnipod pump which takes Freestyle strips and I have been denied this also.

I have been given only half the normal amount of monthly testing strips for the new meter and they will not put on this repeats either - what is going on - seriously?

I feel I am going back to the dark ages.

(Sorry I just come back from the GP having been handed this silly replacement meter and am so so so not happy and felt I needed to vent somewhere :mad:)
@neels, get in touch with your pump team ASAP. A phone call and or letter from them will get your prescription for freestyle reinstated and ensure that your GP doesn't restrict your test strips.

There seems to be a lack of understanding in GP practices about the flexibility allowed in prescribing for Type 1's and pump users especially .

Signy

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@neels, get in touch with your pump team ASAP. A phone call and or letter from them will get your prescription for freestyle reinstated and ensure that your GP doesn't restrict your test strips.

There seems to be a lack of understanding in GP practices about the flexibility allowed in prescribing for Type 1's and pump users especially .

Signy

Thanks Signy, I had informed my pump team last week and they said they would write a letter to the GP.
Then I got told that there is no one around to type the letter out and it may take a good few weeks so they will phone my GP.
They were supposed to phone yesterday (Thursday) but for some reason they didn't and have my pump team now told me they will phone my GP on Monday.

Highly frustrated and waiting....

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel your frustration :(:banghead::banghead:

Believe it or not, a memo has been sent to practices outlining that there are exceptions to the mass prescribing of cheaper meters and limiting test strips, but far too many practices seem not to have read it:banghead: Its frustrating for the clinic teams too, as they have to do the chasing . Plus, there is a lack of understanding about being Type 1 , all too often. As the practice " diabetic " nurse told me :- " Well you only need to test once a day to get an idea of your glucose levels , so why do you need so many test strips ? :mad:

Signy

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I feel your frustration :(:banghead::banghead:

Believe it or not, a memo has been sent to practices outlining that there are exceptions to the mass prescribing of cheaper meters and limiting test strips, but far too many practices seem not to have read it:banghead: Its frustrating for the clinic teams too, as they have to do the chasing . Plus, there is a lack of understanding about being Type 1 , all too often. As the practice " diabetic " nurse told me :- " Well you only need to test once a day to get an idea of your glucose levels , so why do you need so many test strips ? :mad:

Signy

OMG the nurse said that? Even if you were given a brief overview of type 1 diabetes, you'd have better understanding than saying something like that!! And my point here would be again and again on this - this is why my GP doesn't get handed over with my care of diabetes!!

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Update on this...
My pump team wrote the letter .... but not sure what the GP thought of it as I never heard from them.

But I had an appt with the GP specifically for my Freestyle strips today..... I explained that I am on the Omnipod pump and that it uses Freestyle etc. He wrote me out a Rx for it and I asked whether I will have problems again when I order my monthly repeats?
He said he has put a note on the screen and hopefully there should be no problems now.
Still, could not argue my way out to get the Accu chek or one touch strips but one win is better than none.
Oh.... but I have to use the GlucoRx lancets, no choice in that matter, they will not prescribe me the ones I used to have before.