complications

Bluerose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I was diagnosed at the age of 3 and have been type 1 for 44 years. My hba1c has always been above taget 10 - 11s most recently over the last few years down to 9.3. My doctor says im really lucky to have only needed laser on eyes once as my only complication so far. I would like to know what complications other people have as a result of being types 1.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
None so far only been type 1 for 11 yrs

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been Type 1 for 16 years and I have background retinopathy/maculopathy in both eyes..............

I am on blood pressure medication, which was to act as a preventative to the eye damage taking place..........at least in the beginning.....

I would say i have hyper tension, is this because of being overweight or damage to the kidneys?, so far no indication of kidney damage.......

so I am in two minds whether I have been lucky so far, just need to keep going, trying to do my best on a day to day basis.......

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Type 1 for 33 years, had problems with diabetic retinopathy in the past but no other complications.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
T1 30+ years. Not been an angel but pretty much always been lean. Now 51. No complications so far at all.

I wonder if there is something to do with being lesser weight that actually keeps T1's with lesser complications.

The only T1's I know that have had complications have had a few extra lbs.

I did have mild background retinopathy occur a few years back when I put on a stone over my normal weight from being ill and being advised to eat more carbs.....

Since returning to my lower carbed and leaner weight my retinopathy disappeared and I get compliments from the opthamalgists.

I am pretty tight though on trying to minimise the swings in my levels....

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have had minor background retinopathy previously, cleared it and have it back. Having said that, there's also a pattern relating to BG levels that reflects this. No need for any kind of surgery though and it's purely on a keep watching basis at the moment. Nothing else causing issues.

I've been T1 for >26 years, so that's not too bad. Also at my lightest weight and leanest body shape as an adult since I was about 20. We'll see whether that backs up @donnellysdogs hypothesis.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. That HBa1C is very high. Can I ask what insulin regime you are on and what your diet approach is? It will greatly reduce future complications if you can get the HBa1C down

tyrex

26 years T1 here, nothing wrong yet!

Like most long-standing T1s, I have background retinopathy, I was discharged from my annual hospital eye check after a few years of saying there was nothing worth treating. So now back to annual photos instead.

They didn't do HBA1Cs in the early days, and I can't imagine they would have been pretty good, but as time has moved on my results have got better, a smidge over non-diabetic range now. Hoping I can do as well as some other 50 year+ no-complication examples I have heard about recently.

Oh and 6'1" and 12 stone. Definitely easier control when I'm lighter.

Bluerose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. That HBa1C is very high. Can I ask what insulin regime you are on and what your diet approach is? It will greatly reduce future complications if you can get the HBa1C down
One long acting injection on the morning, novorapid lunch and evening, I carb count and correct, I'm 5.3 and under 9 stones so perfect weight, I have always suffered hypos and so I cut down on my insulin and result was 11.5 now after rebuilding insulin dose down to 9.3. My levels hba1c has never been below 9 in 44 years, I use to do another of sport when I as small so my mum at the time ran my levels higher so I could do all the sports. I believe I'm lucky to have only background retinopathy and have been put back on to yearly retinal screening.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am carrying too much weight so your hypothesis may be correct..............

I think having more weight means more insulin is needed, which means more inaccuracy with dosing and therefore higher HbA1c, its common sense really, doesn't make it any easier though..........:(