LCHF and fat

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As others have said, cook with butter, olive oil or cold pressed rapeseed oil. Put a knob of butter on your veggies. Eat plenty of cheese and eggs, use double cream in your coffee sometimes or double cream with berries, eat nuts, eat meat and especially oily fish like salmon, mackerel etc.

Reactions: 7 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ok so im not sure how i would get that much fat onto my plate. what would it be. what do you have as your fat
It is energy %, not weight or volume.

I find celeric mashed with butter very nice. And home made coleslaw is a long time favourite.

Reactions: 4 people

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
been type 2 and the fact i get no sodding help from the NHS at all
I don't have cream just because I find it gross so changed from skimmed to fill fat whole milk

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK kill the cream idea, but each more cheese and eggs and butter and FF yogurts.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
turvell said:
I wandered if I didn't eat enough fat if it would slow my weight loss down

If you are trying to lose weight then personally i don't think adding fat will help at all. Fat has 9 calories per gram so has twice the calories of protein and carbs and weight loss is all about eating fewer calories.

I am not suggesting that you avoid fat, but if you are tying to lose weight then certainly don't add any more.

Any excess food you eat over and above your daily needs will be laid down and stored as fat, whether that food is made up of fat, protein or carbs.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do we all need to find our own right levels of fat consumption?
There seems to be a wide difference in opinion. Some just change from low fat to full fat dairy and have oil and butter, while others have advocated bullet proof coffee, fat bombs, and drinking double cream to stave off hunger pangs.

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
See it's complicated with fat levels and calorie counting too

Reactions: 8 people

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you have any yogurt like onken fruit flavours

With yogurt I would avoid any that are 'low fat', as these are the ones that have had the fat replaced by sugar. I have not managed to find a fruit yogurt that is not 'low fat' maybe someone else has. so I buy full fat natural yogurt, the greek ones are good. I add my own fruit, usually berries.

I am not a LCHF purist though. Some people even regard me as being anti LCHF ( don't know why, I am still learning about it myself). Maybe I am not the best person to advise.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pasha is spot on. Read the labels. More than 5g carbs per 100g is not normally OK but you need to test them with your meter. That will tell you if its OK or not for you.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
With yoghurts though a reduced fat plain yoghurt is merely made with skimmed or semi skimmed milk rather than full fat.When you take away the cream you aren't adding any extra sugar.
Here are the figures for total 0% and 'classic' (ie full fat)

0%:57 cal, 10.3 protein 4g carb 0 gram fat
Classic :96 cal 9g protein 3.8g carb 5g fat
There is only 0.2g of carb different, there is percentage wise more protein and a lot fewer calories.

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
cheese.jpg i just tried grated cheese in small piles on greese proof paper for 1min 30 secs and they come out like little crisps that are total heaven

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Microwave 1min 30 seconds give it a moment when they come out to cool. But they snap like crisps and are intensely cheeses

Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I prefer my LCHF diet to be higher fat rather than high fat, and try to eat it in a variety of forms: fatty-ish meat, oily fish, butter, cream, cheese, eggs, yoghurt, nuts, nut butters, flaxseed, avocados, olives, and olive, walnut, coconut oils.. and even the odd piece of Lindt 85% cocoa dark chocolate. :p

@Pipp re cheesey crisps I I love them too and make mine in the microwave, but cook them a bit longer than Turvell. I also usually add a little sprinkle of flax seed to mine. The only trouble with them is that the cooking can remove a lot of the fat from the cheese, so you lose out on some of its fatty benefits.

And: I believe we do need to find our own levels of fat consumption, and it depends too on whether or not we need to lose weight as well as control our glucose levels. I now work on the basis that if I need to, and am, losing weight then I'm eating at my correct level for weight loss; if my weight is stable, I'm eating at "maintenance" level for my current weight, so need to cut down on food to lose more, and if I'm gaining weight, then I'd definitely need to cut down - but more so. This way I can avoid counting anything...:D:D

Robbity

Reactions: 7 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I prefer my LCHF diet to be higher fat rather than high fat, and try to eat it in a variety of forms: fatty-ish meat, oily fish, butter, cream, cheese, eggs, yoghurt, nuts, nut butters, flaxseed, avocados, olives, and olive, walnut, coconut oils.. and even the odd piece of Lindt 85% cocoa dark chocolate. :p

@Pipp re cheesey crisps I I love them too and make mine in the microwave, but cook them a bit longer than Turvell. I also usually add a little sprinkle of flax seed to mine. The only trouble with them is that the cooking can remove a lot of the fat from the cheese, so you lose out on some of its fatty benefits.

And: I believe we do need to find our own levels of fat consumption, and it depends too on whether or not we need to lose weight as well as control our glucose levels. I now work on the basis that if I need to, and am, losing weight then I'm eating at my correct level for weight loss; if my weight is stable, I'm eating at "maintenance" level for my current weight, so need to cut down on food to lose more, and if I'm gaining weight, then I'd definitely need to cut down - but more so. This way I can avoid counting anything...:D:D

Robbity
Thank you.
I do have well controlled glucose levels, but still have weight to lose. When I tried to have HIGH fat I gained more weight, and was quite ill. So I found a happy medium, of using full fat yogurt, and going really low carb by not having bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. never have bothered with sugar carbs. Can manage fruit, and I do have small amounts of cheese, but mainly veg and fish, nuts, lean meat. It works for me, but I don't think some LCHF advocates agree that is LCHF.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
By the way... I am lean... But when I added just a little extra fat in to my diet as listed earlier I lost 10lb that I really didn't want to!!

So if I can lose it as a size 10 from just adding some fat in then it certainly works. Mine was totally unintentional loss and I like others have found can find it hard to actually keep the weight on.

I do also have walnuts and 2sq dark choc every night.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When I was a kid chocolate was a treat not an everyday thing.
Remember peeling back the foil and pinching bits out of the xmas tree chocolates?
Remember when Easter eggs were something special?
Because chocolate was something special.
Remember when tomatoes were seasonal?
Lettuce and spring onions too?
Now you can have a salad on Xmas day.
There's little that's special any more.
Meaning theres not much magic or wonder left in family life for many .... not much to look forward too.
Everything just is.

Remember Jersey new potatoes? In season for a few weeks and tasted amazing!

Reactions: 3 people