Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just got my new HbA1c result posted , 5.1 up from 4.8 last time.

Allowed limits according to my health fund specifications, 4.0 .........5.7.

Reactions: 17 people
S

Sable_Jan

I do try to eat as many as I can but then again what I love is what I cant eat and that is not potatoes as never liked them too much but carrots I love and I cant eat I mean in limits ok but not as much as I want. I am having mushrooms everyday, I will try and increase the veggies more, Unfortunately due to it being so cold I have stopped salad which used to be a bowl full but might have to restart it again.
Broccoli and cauliflower or leeks in cheese sauce? Use soya milk to minimise the carbs and just a little cornflour to thicken it - I use so much cheese that's a good thickener by itself but also tried thickening with xanthan gum - had to put in blender though as it thickens almost instantly it touches liquid so easily lumps up. Cornflour does have the carbs but the amount needed to thicken half a pint of sauce isn't much. A stir fry maybe with lots of low salt soy sauce (hides the taste of the veggies if you're not too keen. Home made veg soup...... erm veg omelettes - one calls itself fritatta fried onion with brocolli, peas and then beaten egg poured over then cheese on top when its cooked.... check out the thread of what folks have eaten today to get some ideas - bearing in mind not ALL lists will be as low carb as you'd like

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.36803/page-286#post-749084

Reactions: 4 people
S

Sable_Jan

I do try to eat as many as I can but then again what I love is what I cant eat and that is not potatoes as never liked them too much but carrots I love and I cant eat I mean in limits ok but not as much as I want. I am having mushrooms everyday, I will try and increase the veggies more, Unfortunately due to it being so cold I have stopped salad which used to be a bowl full but might have to restart it again.
An afterthought to my post - maybe you can eat carrots with both main meals? I go more of how many carbs I can eat per meal without spike rather than overall carb load per day - depends how you are playing your diet....

S

Sable_Jan

You can always add some warm ingredients to a salad if you feel you need it in this weather. Hot bacon, slivers of chicken or chorizo or sausages. Poached egg on top of some bitter leaves is lovely.
I like my omelettes on top of shredded lettuce

Reactions: 6 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I think that the HbA1c can be a bit higher in winter - fighting off bugs, less exercise, more carbs or higher cal foods . Still an excellent result.

Reactions: 7 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
5.7 this morning- after going to bed on 5.8
Last night I kept my kit under my duvet with me so the strips were not cold overnight so no random 6 like yesterday! Still not so sure on the consistency of this batch 44 though
@bluetit I agree with you on natural levels, mine now seem to be in the 5's, I can in the main stay there all day by being savvy with my carbs, only ever go into 6's after a Sunday meal with a bit of gravy etc but down again within 2 hrs. Seeing as I'm still meds free, these are clearly my naturals with no meds effect so I guess I should be satisfied!
Yep, they're good numbers and you have done so well... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
7.2. Not happy to be still in the 7's. But I have realised I've been using a different brand of Metformin which is Glucient SR. I normally take Glucophage SR.

Not worrying too much as this is a really up and down week with a lot of travelling, plus 2 nights in a London hotel for my son's wedding at the weekend. The pre-wedding stress has already started to show so I shall just roll with the punches and look forward to a new week next week and a new pack of Glucophage :)
Have a wonderful weekend, and don't stress it... I'm sure the wedding will be perfect... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
We really do get pedantic about not liking certain numbers don't we?!! (Well, i certainly do!!) Considering the week you have then I think you are handling it brilliantly. Hope all goes to plan and you have a brilliant weekend with the wedding! I have a day out saturday (date!),and possibly lunch out Sunday so trying to tell myself to just go with it, I know what to chose and avoid so shouldn't go off plan!!
Enjoy your date and lunch.... :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

That is still excellent Pasha. It converts to 32 or 5.6mmol/l. Brilliant!

Reactions: 8 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just seen prof and asthma nurse i AM been DISCHARGED later after physio with new meds and oxygen concentrator for use over night about 10hrs a day. LET ME. OUT OF HERE :):):):):):):):):):) Blood results sugar this morning 6.9
Brilliant!!! :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
5.2 this morning which can probably be put down to me forgetting my medication last night.
Still good though...

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think that the HbA1c can be a bit higher in winter - fighting off bugs, less exercise, more carbs or higher cal foods . Still an excellent result.

Thanks cold ethyl, also for your nice list of reasons. I think that I shall add one of mine and thats increased age ie I am a now year older.

Reactions: 9 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks cold ethyl, also for your nice list of reasons. I think that I shall add one of mine and thats increased age ie I am a now year older.

Also remember, there is a 4% inaccuracy tolerance on HbA1cs. At least there are in the UK

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Lol. It must be genuine as it was on the diabetes page about winter and HbA1c. I know I've eaten a bit more since It turned chilly and my BS were up a bit last week with a cold. I'm not sure about being a year older having an effect as I stopped the clock at 27.

Reactions: 7 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Lol. It must be genuine as it was on the diabetes page about winter and HbA1c. I know I've eaten a bit more since It turned chilly and my BS were up a bit last week with a cold. I'm not sure about being a year older having an effect as I stopped the clock at 27.

Yes I debated with myself re posting the age issue, thinking that its not really fair to the opposite sex ,as sometimes they wish to remain somewhat modest regarding the arrow of time. I shall try and come up with something good for both genders for the future.

Reactions: 5 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
5.7 after a really bad night. In so much pain that I eventually plucked up courage to ring GP. Spoke to lovely lady GP who said it may be the Metformin so I have to stop it ( I had actually stopped it last Thursday as it was beginning to worry me) and that it may take up to 4 weeks or so to clear from system. Otherwise I'll have to have bloods done to rule out other things ( I suspect it's the Met as it feels like lactic acid build up - like when your limbs burn on a cross country run.) on the up side though my last HbA1c was back and it's 5.8 so she was very pleased and talked about having driven fat out etc. even made a note on my file that I low carb. Hopefully shifting a bit more weight will lower it further but I'm quite pleased with that given I've had a stinking cold the day of the test and my sugar levels were higher that week.
Awful to be in so much pain... I hope you feel better soon... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.