Does diabetes make you a better person?

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
OK, must admit I've got my philosophical cap on today. Another question for everybody!! Does diabetes make you a better person? I think it has made me way more patient than I used to be. And, to be perfectly honest, I don't judge as much as I realise that everyone has a (colourful) history, just like me :)

Reactions: 4 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I'm not as sweet as i used to be.

Reactions: 15 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that's an interesting question. In some ways, especially for me I think it's made me a better person, certainly it's made me put more thought into some of my lifestyle choices and maybe in turn has also had an effect on the way I think about many other things. One of the things all Diabetics have to live with is the potential consequences of not controlling your blood sugars and the effect it will have further down the line...maybe once you start to consider these things it's only natural that this thought process spills over into all other area's of your life.

Reactions: 2 people

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Not much difference really except my food intke is a lot better

Reactions: 4 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well you soon learn pretty fast that there are plenty of other people even worse off. That is a lesson in itself.

Reactions: 9 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Better ? no I wouldn't say better, but definitely more determined to do even more things, especially as I'm in my late 50's and happy that I can still put one foot in front of the other, and often running for buses :)

Reactions: 7 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I always was wonderful .. Couldent be any better if I tried .. (So the wife says) :rolleyes:

K

Kat100

No definatly not , but I do think life it's experiences and other illness change your perceptions ...
There by changing views on things , being more assertive , having more laughs ...doing what I want to do ...etc ...

Anyway I am purrfect :cat:

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was a bit of a sod before being diagnosed .... now I'm a complete git :)

More seriously, I'm certainly taking better care of myself and I'm positively sylph-like compared to the Michelin Man stylee that I used to sport. Not sure if that makes me a better person ......

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, I am definitely stronger! When I was diagnosed my doctor said even if I didn't need insulin then, I would need it 5 years down the line - you just watch me I thought to myself. A doctor's prognosis is after all a matter of opinion and people defy medical odds all the time. I think it's also made me more stubborn! Everything is impossible until someone does it!

Reactions: 5 people
G

graj0

OK, must admit I've got my philosophical cap on today. Another question for everybody!! Does diabetes make you a better person?
As you have your philosophical cap on, define better. LOL
A lot has changed in the last 17 years, I don't have to work with a bunch of ........... anymore. I'm much calmer about things. I stopped consuming alcohol 8 years ago which means my temper doesn't flare up so easily. I do more voluntary work, driving the elderly around to shops, doctors, hospitals, dentists etc but only because I'm in a position to help having the time. So possibly a better person but not directly because of being diabetic.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well I recognised I was a short tempered **** at times before diagnosis (for about 4 years) but since sorting out my sugars I never seem to lose my cool and that is just like I used to be. So I would say I am back to normal with a short period in between.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I don't think it makes me a better person. I feel resentful and angry that I have this illness, also guilty that I dont look after myself better. Guilt, anger and resentment are no good for anyone!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I'm here ... and so much the better for it if you can understand that given T2.

Learnt a LOT and met some wonderful people. Sweet, kind, sympathetic and shoulders to lean on when we may not be all that strong.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I think that being type 1 for forty years has made me live a much healthier lifestyle, and looking back possibly the unhealthier lifestyle I could have led would have caused more problems than the diabetes. Everything for a reason eh!

Reactions: 6 people