confused, not convinced!

Shellx

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, New to the forum but after some advice.

Last week I had a GTT, I'm currently 35 weeks pregnant with other complications so obviously this is something I didn't need. No one does obviously.

My fasting results came back perfectly fine. My glucose test came back 9.6 (they got me to drink 500ml? Lucazade as fast as I could and took bloods two hours later, this alone made me feel very faint and sick!)

Iv been given my testing kit and a little diatry information, I gathered alot more by browsing this website and forum.

Iv had abit of a naughty day as iv been limited to hospital snacks all day.

For lunch I had a premade ploughmans sarnie + a snickers as I really felt like I needed a little perk, test read 7.1 little over an hour after.

Iv been told to test right before eating and an hour after.

Dinner - before I was 6.5, I had an omelette with red onions, mmushrooms and a sprinkle of cheese with salad (carrot, pepper, mixed leaves, cucumber etc) for pudding I had a chocolate mouse. My reading over an hour later was just 4.2

Decided to have a snack later on, a banana, handful of grapes and a chocolate bar (I know!! Not the best of snacks...) And again, an hour later my reading was just 4.8

Surely if I am diabetic, after these foods my levels would be higher? Am I missing something? This hospital have already messed me around enough, and caused me alot of stress through mess ups etc.

When I first got my diagnoses, I was told over the phone to cut out sugars, just sugars, don't consume any, don't consume lactose, I was told I have pre-existing diabetes type one. Today I found out all that is completely wrong, they wouldn't know and the advice was completely wrong and unrealistic.

Can someone explain my test results, do they seem normal for a diabetic?

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Shellx and welcome to the forum.

It seem s all a bit confusing, but as far as I understand you would have needed HbA1c Blood test to confirm that you are diabetic not just the GTT I may be wrong here so you need to check this out. I'm in the UK I don't think they do those test that often.
The HbA1c would have had a number like 48 or 56 following it.

When you say you are testing and was told to test 1 hr after meals it's usually test just before eating then if you want 1 hr after the last test but you must test 2hrs later the very first.

You also need to test first thing on a morning after getting up as your fasting Test.

What I'm going to do is tag @daisy1 who will come along with a long list of information which will be very helpful to you. She may not be along till the morning now though.

In the meantime have look around the forum and ask as many questions as you want.
Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Shellx

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your reply! I had a test that involves two blood tests, first prior not to eating since the previous night, then was asked to drink lucazade fast and was tested two hours after the drink.

Looking online it seems some people work in whole numbers (48 etc) and some work in points (4.2 etc) it says pregnant woman should aim for 43 mmol/mol (6.1) or lower.

I'm just so confused with these readings iv gotten today and the advice given. On here if seen several posts regarding things like potatoes - nhs have advised that it's perfectly ok to eat potatoes as long as you eat the skins too so boiled little potatoes or a jacket/baked potato. White bread is meant to be ok in moderation as are normal breadsticks. Iv been told I cannot even treat myself to a small portion of chocolate, cake, biscuits etc, not even one as its too risky. Somuch conflicting advice but I'm learning that it's all about figuring what works for you and your blood levels.

I'm just worried that i have been misdiagnosed, although over Christmas I had a 'dangerously high' blood pressure reading which made me feel very poorly (sweats, shakes, heart palpitations, feeling faint, dizzy) but once I stopped binging on the sugary foods that come out at the festive period, my blood pressure dropped and I feel well again. I'm not sure if this is linked or not.

Shellx

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Regarding testing, I was told to test before eating. Then an hour after finishing the meal. Apparently I shouldn't test aftersnacks (i have, curiosity got the better of me) when I first wake up or any other times. Strictly before and after breakfast, lunch and dinner and one reading before going to bed

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Shellx,

The numbers you see are these. The HbA1c Test is an average of your sugar levels over 2/3months so say you were diagnosed at say 50 that would be an average of of 8.1 Which means you have been above that figure and also below it to get that average, normal people would be approx 5.6, 5.7

You need to be on a daily basis between 4 & 7.8 (NICE say up to 8.5)

The NHS suggest that you can eat fairly normally but the fact is if you do and you cannot get your sugars down then the diabetes will slowly progress.

Most on here follow a Low Carbohydrate High Fat Diet and it work for most of us.

It is confusing just hang in there it will eventually fall into place and once you get an idea of the food you need its actually pretty good but seems daunting now.

Neil

Shellx

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't explained about tests etc, but I'm going to assume a reading of 9.6 on this test at the age of 24 year old, pregnant who weighs 12stone (9 before pregnancy) with a good diet - Ieat too much fruit though apparently, and enjoy a sweet treat but all meals seem to me, to be healthy.

Iv had 'signs' in the past but nhs refused to test me. especially after reoccurring kidney infections, uti's, I drink ALOT of fluids etc. Been this way for a few years.

Iv found some lovely looking meal ideas, changed my shopping list greatly, looking forward to trying new things and mingling on the forum. Good to have somewhere that I can find help from people who know what they are on with, not a nurse reading advice from a book.

Reactions: 2 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your reply! I had a test that involves two blood tests, first prior not to eating since the previous night, then was asked to drink lucazade fast and was tested two hours after the drink.

Looking online it seems some people work in whole numbers (48 etc) and some work in points (4.2 etc) it says pregnant woman should aim for 43 mmol/mol (6.1) or lower.

I'm just so confused with these readings iv gotten today and the advice given. On here if seen several posts regarding things like potatoes - nhs have advised that it's perfectly ok to eat potatoes as long as you eat the skins too so boiled little potatoes or a jacket/baked potato. White bread is meant to be ok in moderation as are normal breadsticks. Iv been told I cannot even treat myself to a small portion of chocolate, cake, biscuits etc, not even one as its too risky. Somuch conflicting advice but I'm learning that it's all about figuring what works for you and your blood levels.

I'm just worried that i have been misdiagnosed, although over Christmas I had a 'dangerously high' blood pressure reading which made me feel very poorly (sweats, shakes, heart palpitations, feeling faint, dizzy) but once I stopped binging on the sugary foods that come out at the festive period, my blood pressure dropped and I feel well again. I'm not sure if this is linked or not.
Hi
Regards the testing, what we do on here is we test just before a meal say breakfast, have breakfast then test at 1 hr and then test at 2 hrs. Lets say just before the breakfast you are 5.6 then you would hope that what you have eaten does not move you more that 2mmol/L i.e to 7.6 at 1 hr that would be ok, but if it moved more then we would look at what was in the breakfast caused it to rise and it is normally carbohydrates & Fruit but you would also want the numbers to drop back into normal levels but this can take a little time. Readings on a morning are usually the last to drop.

I a can only tolerate 1/2 an apple at breakfast, and no cereals they all spike me and many others. Lots on here have berries, blue berries raspberries and the like, with breakfast full fat yogurt, eggs bacon cheese. You need to be looking at something like Hovis seed sensations 13g per slice (green wrapper) most of us can only manged a slice 2 slices, spikes too much or Burgen Soya & linseed Brown bread 12g per slice.
It will be OK, so just be patient

Bedtime for me,
Neil

jodysd6

The reason that they don't use the HbA1c test for gestational diabetes is because it is an average over the last 3 months and often it can come on faster than that and needs to be monitored quickly. The target glucose ranges are also lower for during pregnancy, and that is why when pregnant they have told you you have gestational diabetes and to monitor based on just that test, which in a non pregnant person wouldn't be the only test done. The good news is that in most cases it will go away after the birth so it's just a few weeks, (although it would make you higher risk to develop it later) but it's a very steep learning curve where you don't have the time to try to figure it all out.

Are you on Facebook or on any pregnancy forums like baby center? There are a few groups just for gestational diabetes that may be helpful.

Reactions: 2 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The reason that they don't use the HbA1c test for gestational diabetes is because it is an average over the last 3 months and often it can come on faster than that and needs to be monitored quickly. The target glucose ranges are also lower for during pregnancy, and that is why when pregnant they have told you you have gestational diabetes and to monitor based on just that test, which in a non pregnant person wouldn't be the only test done. The good news is that in most cases it will go away after the birth so it's just a few weeks, (although it would make you higher risk to develop it later) but it's a very steep learning curve where you don't have the time to try to figure it all out.

Are you on Facebook or on any pregnancy forums like baby center? There are a few groups just for gestational diabetes that may be helpful.
Thanks for that I have learnt something
Neil

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello @Shellx and welcome to the forum :)

To add to all the good information you have received from other members, here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find this useful. This information applies to members in general and not specifically for pregnant mums. Always check with your team first about any dietary changes you want to make because of this.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Shellx

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your helpful replies! It's starting to make some sence but I'm sure there are plenty more to learn. Iv been advised to continue with this diet change for the foreseeable future to try and avoid it 'coming back' if I don't remain diabetic.

Tested this morning before breakfast, my levels were 4.9 so now waiting to test after my bowl of porridge iv just had.

Is it normal to continuously have low readings with gestational diabetes?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thank you for your helpful replies! It's starting to make some sence but I'm sure there are plenty more to learn. Iv been advised to continue with this diet change for the foreseeable future to try and avoid it 'coming back' if I don't remain diabetic.

Tested this morning before breakfast, my levels were 4.9 so now waiting to test after my bowl of porridge iv just had.

Is it normal to continuously have low readings with gestational diabetes?

Hi, my grown up son had a few medical symptoms, frequent urination, tiredness, drinking more, not feeling good really, so I tested him on my meter and thankfully he didn't have a higher than normal reading. I said he must go to his GP as there is something unexplained there. He did he had blood tests, not diabetic :) but his cholesterol was 6,5, extremely high. :rolleyes:
You must of had that tested for this as well, have you?
Sorry to hear of all your worry and stress, but good luck and all the best with the pregnancy, happier times are ahead :happy:

Take good care RRB

Shellx

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't even tested for diabetes before pregnancy, when I asked my doctor said there was no need and to just take even more antibiotics! They keep refusing to do tests to get to the bottom of the issue :(

& thank you, hopefully happier, less stressful times do lay ahead.

itsloopylisa

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Shellx

I had impaired glucose tolerance with my second son and had to test my blood sugar in a similar way to you, as well as limit sugary foods so your descriptions are ringing lots of bells.

I found that once I had cut sugary foods out of my diet my blood glucose levels were quite low so I didn't need to do anything else. This was 18 years ago so there were no lovely forums like this for diet info so literally all I did was stop eating sugar, biscuits and chocolate and keep testing. It may be that the pregnancy is just enough strain on your body to impair your insulin production or efficiency and that you will recover quickly once you give birth - this is what happened to me and I had postnatal blood tests done and a quick appointment to warn me to eat healthily not to put on too much weight as I was of higher risk of type 2 later in life. 18 years later I'm just in the process of being diagnosed with type 2, having put on too much weight etc.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is not to panic or worry about this at the moment - just making a small change to your diet, which you have already done, can be enough to support your body while your pregnancy finishes. I would expect that they will do other tests when you've had the baby to confirm if you need to do anything further with your diet etc.

Best of luck :)

Reactions: 4 people