Newbie trying Newcastle diet.

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and forum's in general. I am about to start a low calorie diet popularised by Newcastle University and under the eagle eyes of my Doctor and Dietician. I have started a blog to give an honest account of my progress and have posted the link if you want to come on the journey with me. http://www.thelittlewhitehen.com/blog/

Thanks for listening.

The Little White Hen

Reactions: 8 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Welcome and good luck!

Are you trying to lose weight? Reverse type 2 diabetes? Both?

What methods have you tried to lose weight before and why do you think it failed?

Reactions: 7 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
welcome, it is a very effective weight loss diet and I hope you also reverse your BG

have you seen the lectures?
http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/events/public-lectures/item.php?roy-taylor-diabetes

the only thing I would add is to have extra 10g / a tablespoon of oil a day with salad etc. to help prevent gallstones
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8781321

more reading..not the only factor
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9539651
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16350561

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome and good luck!

Are you trying to lose weight? Reverse type 2 diabetes? Both?

What methods have you tried to lose weight before and why do you think it failed?

Thanks for replying, I have never been on a forum before. In answer to your question. I have lost a total of 3 stones since Jan 2011 when I was diagnosed, I did this by changing eating habits, reducing portion sizes and more exercise. I don't like the gym and I'm not sporty so I walk the dog and dig my allotment even if it does not need it.

My diabetes type 2 is under control and I am feeling great. I still have a fatty middle even with the loss. My doctor thinks this diet will help to lose the fat from around my pancreas and reduce my medication or best case put the diabetes in to remission. He has been very clear to manage my expectations and says there is not guarantees. I want to try and be proactive if possible, if I can reduce my medication I will work very hard to live a heather lifestyle. Something I did not have before I was diagnosed.

Reactions: 16 people

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome, it is a very effective weight loss diet and I hope you also reverse your BG

have you seen the lectures?
http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/events/public-lectures/item.php?roy-taylor-diabetes

the only thing I would add is to have extra 10g / a tablespoon of oil a day with salad etc. to help prevent gallstones
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8781321

more reading..not the only factor
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9539651
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16350561

Thanks, I will check these out. I have already done a lot of research, I am not going on this diet lightly

With regards to the extra oil, it as already been added in by my dietician. She has also added in lemon juice for vitamin C and two table spoons of protein in the form of chick peas or lentils. I am a very tall girl at 6' 1" and she was a little worried I needed more protein.

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Well, for sure starving yourself on 800 calories a day will lead to weight loss regardless of what you eat. Personally, I don't think this is a very healthy weight loss method, especially the packets of powdered chemicals.

In the last year I managed to become diabetes free and lose 3.5 stone (BMI from 31 to 25). I started out with the standard low fat/low calorie diet to lose weight and of course it worked. After 6 months I got a blood glucose meter and saw what all the carbs I was eating instead of fat did to my post meal blood glucose levels and immediately started reducing my carb intake. Eventually I cut out all fruit, sugar, rice, grains, and starchy veg (and processed food) and increased the amount of fat in my diet, but kept protein around the same. Essentially I was following the Diet Doctor's low carb/high fat method of eating:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

I have stopped counting calories, stopped weighing my food, and stopped worrying about what or when I eat. I just eat regular meals (eggs/bacon for breakfast, fresh veg and meat/poultry/or fish for lunch and dinner) and I don't need to snack much between meals (usually cheese, liver pate, full fat yogurt, 85% chocolate when I do). I'm still losing weight. I feel great.

If I could go back in time a year and give myself advice, I'd tell myself to follow the Diet Doctor's guide right from the start. It's a very healthy and sustainable way of eating. Just drastically reducing your carb intake will improve you blood glucose control and it will result in weight loss and improved cholesterol/triglyceride numbers.

Anyway, consider checking out the Diet Doctor when you are done with the Newcastle diet.

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and forum's in general. I am about to start a low calorie diet popularised by Newcastle University and under the eagle eyes of my Doctor and Dietician. I have started a blog to give an honest account of my progress and have posted the link if you want to come on the journey with me. http://www.thelittlewhitehen.com/blog/

Thanks for listening.

The Little White Hen

Hello, @The little white hen
Welcome to the forum.

There are a few of us here who have had success with Newcastle diet, myself, @Andrew Colvin and @paulins to name just a few who have managed to 'reverse' their diabetes. We are in the minority here though.
I did it in September 2011, and have had normal BG levels since. I no longer have any diabetes medication. I took a chance on what sounded something too good to be true, and I am so glad I did.

Do not be put off by people doubting or trying to derail you. The most difficult part of the ND for me was the social occasions were food was served, and people saying things like 'surely it won't do any harm to have a night off and join us in a curry and a few beers'. Remember at the end of the VLCD to keep your diet as low carb as possible.

Best wishes.

Reactions: 15 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, I will check these out. I have already done a lot of research, I am not going on this diet lightly

With regards to the extra oil, it as already been added in by my dietician. She has also added in lemon juice for vitamin C and two table spoons of protein in the form of chick peas or lentils. I am a very tall girl at 6' 1" and she was a little worried I needed more protein.
It sounds like you and your dietitian have it worked out very well..
the advantage of the newcastle diet to me is that it's very hard to cheat on...with the drinks..it is what it is :)

best wishes and keep posting, even if you're having a bad day. the support here will help.
over the next couple of months here, you will learn a lot about looking after your diabetes, for when you finish your diet

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I start tomorrow and I am more than a little nervous. I have done lots of research and planning, its not been done on a whim. I have lost so much weight but not from around my middle so I am hoping to shift the fat from around my pancreas and get things back on track. I had so many years of my body warning me of what was going to happen and I took no notice. If I can "put diabetes into remission" I will never disrespect my body in the same way again.

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, I start tomorrow and I am more than a little nervous. I have done lots of research and planning, its not been done on a whim. I have lost so much weight but not from around my middle so I am hoping to shift the fat from around my pancreas and get things back on track. I had so many years of my body warning me of what was going to happen and I took no notice. If I can "put diabetes into remission" I will never disrespect my body in the same way again.

Best of luck. Keep posting. You have nothing to lose. Apart from fat and medication and hopefully your diabetes.

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, @The little white hen
Welcome to the forum.

There are a few of us here who have had success with Newcastle diet, myself, @Andrew Colvin and @paulins to name just a few who have managed to 'reverse' their diabetes. We are in the minority here though.
I did it in September 2011, and have had normal BG levels since. I no longer have any diabetes medication. I took a chance on what sounded something too good to be true, and I am so glad I did.

Do not be put off by people doubting or trying to derail you. The most difficult part of the ND for me was the social occasions were food was served, and people saying things like 'surely it won't do any harm to have a night off and join us in a curry and a few beers'. Remember at the end of the VLCD to keep your diet as low carb as possible.

Best wishes.

Thank you, so many people have told me its too much and it does make you think you are making a mistake. Then my friend said "if you had cancer and this was a cure no-one would say anything" . I though that's true people just don't view diabetes as a serious illness (even some that have it) they think its take a few tablets and don't eat sweets stuff and you will be Ok. We know its much more complicated than that and I want to be as proactive as possible. I am only 45 that's a lot of years to lifv with type 2 and the longer I can keep it "in remission" the better. I start tomorrow and really appreciate your comments. Its nice to know someone as been through it and come through the other side.

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, for sure starving yourself on 800 calories a day will lead to weight loss regardless of what you eat. Personally, I don't think this is a very healthy weight loss method, especially the packets of powdered chemicals.

In the last year I managed to become diabetes free and lose 3.5 stone (BMI from 31 to 25). I started out with the standard low fat/low calorie diet to lose weight and of course it worked. After 6 months I got a blood glucose meter and saw what all the carbs I was eating instead of fat did to my post meal blood glucose levels and immediately started reducing my carb intake. Eventually I cut out all fruit, sugar, rice, grains, and starchy veg (and processed food) and increased the amount of fat in my diet, but kept protein around the same. Essentially I was following the Diet Doctor's low carb/high fat method of eating:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

I have stopped counting calories, stopped weighing my food, and stopped worrying about what or when I eat. I just eat regular meals (eggs/bacon for breakfast, fresh veg and meat/poultry/or fish for lunch and dinner) and I don't need to snack much between meals (usually cheese, liver pate, full fat yogurt, 85% chocolate when I do). I'm still losing weight. I feel great.

If I could go back in time a year and give myself advice, I'd tell myself to follow the Diet Doctor's guide right from the start. It's a very healthy and sustainable way of eating. Just drastically reducing your carb intake will improve you blood glucose control and it will result in weight loss and improved cholesterol/triglyceride numbers.

Anyway, consider checking out the Diet Doctor when you are done with the Newcastle diet.

Thanks, I will check out the diet doctor when I have finished the diet. My Mum used to say there are many ways to skin a cat. These places are a great way to discuss things and find out what others are doing and thinking and I appreciate your comments and your concern.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I'm quite excited about your experiment anyway. Good luck. I was a minor muffin top for a while (spare tyre) and after losing it discovered the "TOFI" theory (thin outside, fat inside) which says that fat packed around the pancreas and whatever other organs we keep in there (technical term) can stop them working properly. Now I can hear telegraph poles whispering enviously as I walk by so I hope things in my middle are feeling better.
Your health team sounds brill.

Reactions: 9 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, so many people have told me its too much and it does make you think you are making a mistake. Then my friend said "if you had cancer and this was a cure no-one would say anything".

That is my philosophy, too.

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I'm quite excited about your experiment anyway. Good luck. I was a minor muffin top for a while (spare tyre) and after losing it discovered the "TOFI" theory (thin outside, fat inside) which says that fat packed around the pancreas and whatever other organs we keep in there (technical term) can stop them working properly. Now I can hear telegraph poles whispering enviously as I walk by so I hope things in my middle are feeling better.
Your health team sounds brill.

You may be interested in these Lectures:-
http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94 (video)
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/events/public-lectures/item.php?roy-taylor-diabetes (written version)
they talk about how fat around the liver and pancreas and high carb diets, have an effect on developing and resolving (when removed) diabetes.

Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for replying, I have never been on a forum before. In answer to your question. I have lost a total of 3 stones since Jan 2011 when I was diagnosed, I did this by changing eating habits, reducing portion sizes and more exercise. I don't like the gym and I'm not sporty so I walk the dog and dig my allotment even if it does not need it.

My diabetes type 2 is under control and I am feeling great. I still have a fatty middle even with the loss. My doctor thinks this diet will help to lose the fat from around my pancreas and reduce my medication or best case put the diabetes in to remission. He has been very clear to manage my expectations and says there is not guarantees. I want to try and be proactive if possible, if I can reduce my medication I will work very hard to live a heather lifestyle. Something I did not have before I was diagnosed.

I think I might just love your doctor a little bit. :happy:

You are lucky to have someone so open-minded and forward thinking advising you. Looking at the links you have posted, you have obviously done your homework. I hope it covered the parts about post-ND eating regimes?

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I might just love your doctor a little bit. :happy:

You are lucky to have someone so open-minded and forward thinking advising you. Looking at the links you have posted, you have obviously done your homework. I hope it covered the parts about post-ND eating regimes?

I know, I have a good team, they all seem to be happy to help. With regards to the post ND regimes, I think life long changes will have to be made to maintain any progress I make.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I think that stabilising, or continuing the loss after the weight loss, is a bigger challenge than sticking to it for 8 weeks.

I really hope it works out for you, and please keep us informed on your progress. I think the chance that you may reverse your diabetes will have us all rooting for you.
:)

Reactions: 7 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes. It is good to see support, rather than telling someone the ND is somehow inferior to other eating plans.
It is, after all a short term plan. Post ND is important. I try to stick to low carb post ND. of course, being only human things don't always go to plan, and the fact that I can eat high carb foods without affecting BG now means I do sometimes over-indulge. That is with fats as well. Not good if you are still needing to lose weight.

Early days for @The little white hen, but I will gladly offer support and encouragement.

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I think that stabilising, or continuing the loss after the weight loss, is a bigger challenge than sticking to it for 8 weeks.

I really hope it works out for you, and please keep us informed on your progress. I think the chance that you may reverse your diabetes will have us all rooting for you.
:)

Thank you, I will give it a good go and keep you all informed. Started this morning, done core exercises and made a couple of soups to freeze (be prepared and all that). Feel ok at moment, going to do the walk later with my husband and the dog. I have had a muzzy headache since about lunch time but that's to be expected in the first few days. Plus started with a cold this weekend (typical), just a runny nose and sneezing, not felt ill. Lets see how it goes. If you want more information the next part of the blog goes up later today.

http://www.thelittlewhitehen.com/blog/facing-life/is-there-a-cure-for-diadetes/