Anonymous Question Time Zones & Insulin

Tranly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
diabetes, stress
Thank you so much for posing the question!
I have a big question over how travelling to a foreign country and living abroad (changes in the climate and other unseen environmental factors) affect our blood glucose. I am a type 1, diagnosed 6 months ago. When I had to travel a broad and stayed there for 2 weeks, my insulin doses changed a lot when I arrived there and after I came back my home country. These are just my first experiences and maybe my body hasn't even adjusted itself to the condition yet. So I just wonder what is it for those who have had diabetes for many years now! For us who are insulin dependent and jobs involving travelling and living abroad, do we encounter large fluctuations in blood sugar and insulin needs as the result of changes in living environments/time zones/climate? I really need to hear some veteran experiences here, hope someone could offer some help! Thanks so much in advance!
-And inspirational approach to living:Kindness and love to the world!-

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are 2 separate issues: crossing times zones and changes in climate between countries.
Both are much easier to deal with when using basal bolus / MDI regime than bimodal insulin. On basal bolus you can have as many meals at you need in a day, which may last much longer than 24 hours when crossing time zones. My personal record is 5 when flying from UK to Santiago in Chile. I last flew to Australia / New Zealand before diagnosis. As I take 2 shots per day of long acting insulin, it's relatively easy to shift times between time zones. I find that a digital watch with dual time function is useful - I leave one time set to home [or destination if staying a long time] and the other changes to whatever zone I'm in, so I don't miss transport connections etc.
Changes in climate do affect insulin requirements - typically, both hot & humid and very cold and / or windy can mean you need less insulin than in more benign conditions. But other factors come into play eg you may be more or less physically active, you may lose appetite in hot weather, diet may be completely different etc. I've led expeditions in Costa Rica, Chile, Falklands and South Georgia since diagnosis, as well as travelling independently in Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Chile, Argentina, Morocco, Jordan, Iceland, much of western Europe etc. I love all food, especially Latin American, Scandinavian and Arab food, so eat completely differently in those areas than I do in UK. First trips after diagnosis were short trips to relatives in France and with a friend to Belgium, then within 8 months, I led a month long expedition to Costa Rica.

Reactions: 4 people

Tranly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
diabetes, stress
Thank you so much for sharing copepod! it's so inspiring and encouraging to hear about your expeditions. I am newly diagnosed and often still feel so discouraged when thinking of doing what I have to do in life. I'm thinking of moving to Japan but there're so many things holding me back. I'm on a pump also. When I was on my last flight I also kept to the hours of the last destination and the meal schedule until arrival. Don't have much experiences travelling as a diabetic though.

Reactions: 2 people