Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Susikav yes I'm low carbing but still counting cals as I tend to get a bit carried away. MFP is good cos you can adjust the combination of carbs, fats and protein (amongst other things) to suit. I think you are right, it is trial and error to a degree, on reflection my cream consumption has increased since Christmas especially the extra thick cream :yum: and it is since then that weight loss has stopped. I'm going to experiment and reduce it a bit to see if that works. Perhaps cream is one of those things that doesn't agree with me :-(

Reactions: 5 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dissapointed and disgusted with these readings
5.3 before dinner
6.6 after dinner of spinach cheese omlette
6.4 fasting
I will try to keep my strips in a warmer place tomorrow and see if that makes any difference as at the moment they are in the bathroom and its freezing all the time.
Although I know 6 is not that bad but it's gone from 5's to 6's so quickly
Is it winter is it me I don't know but I need to get to bottom of this
Couldn't even sleep properly although I saw a dream of high carb meal in front of me and I am saying no to it
Imagine that's in my dreams, I am conscious that I can't eat carbs even while sleeping.

Don't be disappointed brettsza they're still pretty good numbers

Reactions: 6 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@pavlovsdog i would assume that as long as you are using the cream as part of your calorie goal you can keep on eating it. If you google "not loosing weight on lchf diet" you will find there are lots of reasons why the weight slows or stops. It might be worth checking this out first.
Thanks Kezzer I'll have a look

Reactions: 2 people

DrAizen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Disloyalty
Tardiness
Hi y'all. My Fasting blood sugar today was 5.2. Forgot to take my Metformin last night cos I was in transit.

Reactions: 14 people

killerkaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
oops didn't realise weetabix would have a detrimental effect on my blood glucose, thought i was being healthy. I have just tested my blood 2hrs later and it is 7.9. is that good or bad. If its bad could it be down to the weetabix? if that's the case what is the best thing to be having for breakfast?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Pretty much all breakfast cereals are bad for us, although some can manage a small portion of porridge. Better to go for a cooked breakfast (eggs/bacon/mushrooms/tomatoes/cheese/salmon in whatever permutation takes your fancy) or full fat Greek yoghurt with a few berries and/or nuts.

Reactions: 12 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
5.2 this morning, even at 9.30 am (not doing much in the way of work today), so happy with that now I'm back home. That's 5 or 6 in a row now below 5.5. Especially after my big lunch on the train yesterday which resulted in a dinner preprandial of 6.2, but then down to 5.6 after two hours (salmon/pesto/sprouts, berries & cream, red wine).

Reactions: 16 people

Moniker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
oops didn't realise weetabix would have a detrimental effect on my blood glucose, thought i was being healthy. I have just tested my blood 2hrs later and it is 7.9. is that good or bad. If its bad could it be down to the weetabix? if that's the case what is the best thing to be having for breakfast?
That is somewhat high. Try not to base any meal on carbs. Instead think protein and fat. Many people have bacon and egg, cheese or yoghurt as the basis of their breakfast. Add in a little fruit or a small piece of toast if your meter doesn't object. Think of carbs as a garnish rather than the base of your meal.

killerkaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
oh well looks like greek yoghurt with fresh fruit in future on the days I am working and I will just have force myself to eat bacon and eggs on my days off, its hard but but someone has to do it;). Isn't greek yoghurt quite high in sugar and carbs though?

Reactions: 9 people

killerkaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am starting a study on myself to see what effect food has on my blood sugar levels. I know to do my bloods pre meal and post meal but what if I have a snack (eg fruit) between meals won't that effect my pre meal reading? or should I just stick to 3 meals a day. Trouble is I get really hungry mid morning as i have my breakfast around 6.30 before I leave for work.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
oh well looks like greek yoghurt with fresh fruit in future on the days I am working and I will just have force myself to eat bacon and eggs on my days off, its hard but but someone has to do it;). Isn't greek yoghurt quite high in sugar and carbs though?

Greek yoghurt shouldn't be more than about 5g/100g. But make sure you get the full fat version, the low fat ones do have more sugar. Be careful what fresh fruit you have, berries are best. Avoid bananas and other tropical fruits.

Reactions: 9 people

killerkaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Greek yoghurt shouldn't be more than about 5g/100g. But make sure you get the full fat version, the low fat ones do have more sugar. Be careful what fresh fruit you have, berries are best. Avoid bananas and other tropical fruits.
Thanks, I mainly have strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, and grapefruit as i have heard that bananas, grapes, oranges aren't good for diabetics. I do eat a good bowl full of the berries and kiwi fruit every day plus a whole grapefuit (pink). is that to much/

Reactions: 8 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am starting a study on myself to see what effect food has on my blood sugar levels. I know to do my bloods pre meal and post meal but what if I have a snack (eg fruit) between meals won't that effect my pre meal reading? or should I just stick to 3 meals a day. Trouble is I get really hungry mid morning as i have my breakfast around 6.30 before I leave for work.

It will have some effect on the pre prandial reading so I'd try and cut down on the snacks or snack smart. Fruit really isn't that great fir most diabetics( think of it as nature's candy) so you'll have to test and see what impact it is having. I can manage a small non sweet apple or some nectarine slices without any effect but we are all different. Try some cheese portions like a babybel or some thin slices of ham, or nuts.

Reactions: 8 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm late on parade after a busy morning!
This morning on waking a lovely 5.1 !
I was on the late shift at the homeless lodge and when I came in I did a random test and was 6.2, but as I had literally just walked in I guessed it wasn't a true read, should have waited until I had rested I guess!
I also kept my kit under my duvet with me overnight so no cold strips! Just a pain last night's random throws my averages out again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 16 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I mainly have strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, and grapefruit as i have heard that bananas, grapes, oranges aren't good for diabetics. I do eat a good bowl full of the berries and kiwi fruit every day plus a whole grapefuit (pink). is that to much/

Much too much I'm sorry to say. A small handful, maybe 4 small strawberries or a couple of tbsp. of blueberries, small handful of raspberries. You will have to test out the kiwi and grapefruit, but I know I couldn't manage them. I usually stick to about 40g of berries with a full fat greek yogurt. Blueberries have the most carbs. Raspberries have the least. You should find that about 100g yogurt with a few berries and a cup of tea or coffee will last you all morning because the fat is very satiating. It isn't wise to eat fruit as a snack, just with a meal. Try a few nuts or cheese for a snack if you are hungry. You could also have a few berries with double cream instead of yogurt. It's all a big learning curve!

Reactions: 13 people
S

Sable_Jan

5.7 Aaaargh! Hate going over 5.5. Didn't test last night as I was only having some chicken with mixed vegetables and a 9 bar afterwards. Restless night as my son wasn't well so that probably didn't help.

Just out of interest I still use a Contour machine but I notice on the web that it says that this machine has been upgraded to a Contour XT or Contour Next. Is it essential to upgrade? I just bought some strips off Ebay for the existing machine.
Hope your son is feeling better this morning - erm, afternoon, where HAS the day gone so far and I was up earlier than usual
I wouldn't worry about not having the latest machine - as long as it keeps giving you consistent results and you can get strips for it why change it...if it ain't broke - don't fix it :D

Reactions: 7 people
Status
Not open for further replies.