Indian / Chinese takeaway?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love both, is there anything we can safely order on a low carb diet? I hate to think I can't have a takeaway any more. Although I realise fish and chips is probably out, at least until I've got this thing under control and can have an occasional treat :(

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd avoid chinese tbh.. MSG makes my BS go up and I think things like sweet and sour pork and some of the other saucy things are full of sugar. You might be better off going out to a restaurant that does "real" Chinese food and having fresh stir fries and fish with ginger and broccoli.
Indians much easier. Lots of lovely tandoori and tikka dishes, poppadums aren't too bad so you can have one of them and some nice spinach and paneer curry or cauli dishes. Just avoid the naans, rice and anything with aloo in the name as that's potato.

Reactions: 6 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. Suppose I could get a couple of Indian and Chines recipe books and adapt them where necessary, although I don;t suppose they#ll taste as good.
Once glucose levels are stable and where they should be, would it do any harm to have a takeaway (with rice or noodles, or peshwari nan!) once a month or two, something to look forward to?

Reactions: 2 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I LOVE Indian takeaway, in fact I may treat myself to one this weekend. I don't miss the rice or naan anymore. I usually have a meat dish and a couple of veg ones mmmmmm.......I'm hungry now, maybe I'll have one tonight.........

:p

Reactions: 4 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Just to say as well that I also love Chinese takeaway, but I've had 1 in the past 4 years!!!! I was being naughty. Wont have any again for at least a year. Too much sugar and carbs.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, thanks, I suppose I could live without a Chinese if I can still have an Indian. Shame the nearest ones are 7 miles away n the nearest town! Although it's probably a blessing, I'd be far too tempted if they were nearer!

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Once your levels are stable you might manage a treat once in a while but I find increasing my carbs just makes me start to want them more again so I try and stay good as much as possible. Chapatis are better than naans I think and if the Chinese did a glass noodle or cellophane noodle with beansprouts type dish you might be ok with that.

Reactions: 4 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
'glass noodle or cellophane noodle' Never heard of them?

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
'glass noodle or cellophane noodle' Never heard of them?

The thread ones or the ones that look a bit like cellophane are made from mung beans sometimes which shouldn't spike you as much as wheat noodles.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not seen them, will look out for them. Health food shop I suppose as tesco doesn't have them.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
just found some Bean thread on the Tesco website
Yangtse River Longkou Vermicelli 8X50g, Carbs 70.4g per 100g
50g is a single portion i guess? 35g carbs, same as some egg noodles I've got.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Chop suey! It uses bean sprouts instead of noodles. It's what I always have at the Chinese. Indians can be hit and miss, but I will have a curry and a veg side.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The thread ones or the ones that look a bit like cellophane are made from mung beans sometimes which shouldn't spike you as much as wheat noodles.

Just tried them an hour ago, was 8.1 before and 1 hour later am 13.8, and I only had half a portion!

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just tried them an hour ago, was 8.1 before and 1 hour later am 13.8, and I only had half a portion!

ouch. Maybe not for you then. Try just a bed of onions and beansprouts next time.

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have a great Turkish near us and their mixed grill feast is great
We avoid the rice and bread but eat everything else

I have found that Indian is okay for me. I'm yet to try out Chinese

KFC chicken is okay too (low carb at about 8g carbs per piece)
Avoid the mini-fillets though!

Blessedarethecheesemakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sometimes get an indian takeaway but stick to their chicken saag (which doesn't have a lot of sauce) to avoid hidden carbs like flour thickeners. I also get on the side some mutter paneer and usually an aubergine curry too. While waiting for it to arrive I cook up some green veg (eg cabbage) to eat with it.

I've not had Chinese as, unless it's a fancy Chinese that does an oriental salad, I find it quite hard to find satisfactory low carb options. There is chop suey though which is bean sprout based. If cooking at home (or looking for something to have with a takeaway main dish) you could try shirataki noodles although I personally don't like their texture.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not heard of shirataki noodles, I'm tempted to try them but don't want them turning out like the thread noodles did ;)

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love both, is there anything we can safely order on a low carb diet? I hate to think I can't have a takeaway any more. Although I realise fish and chips is probably out, at least until I've got this thing under control and can have an occasional treat :(

Here's a little secret, there is a type of food called Indian-Chinese. It's basically a combination of Indian and Chinese. It was mastered by chefs at the Taj in Bombay and spread from there. There are very few restaurants in the UK which serve this food and are good at it. A restaurant that I used to travel an hour plus to go to was Dalchini in Wimbledon. Haven't been for many years so can't say what it is like at the moment. Have a look around where you live and do a search for Indo Chinese food and hopefully there is a genuine and good one near you.