Does being diabetic affect who you'll vote for?

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
As someone with a lifelong chronic condition I do feel slightly vulnerable and dependent on the government, so whichever party promises the most support for the NHS (that'll be labour then) will get my vote.
Being diabetic really has turned me into a one issue voter. It has opened my eyes to how vulnerable those of us with illnesses are (and anyone can develop an illness) which has made me lean more to the left.
I've had a few bad experiences with the NHS, particularly my eye hospital where I was told I couldn't have an appointment when I was due to be seen as I'd been put on a wait list due to a lack of consultants. Three months later they then discharged me 'in error' (that's a good way to get the wait list down!) and my private doctor said he'd seen people get permanent eye damage due to not being seen quickly enough.
However we do still at least have an NHS. I'd hate to think of it gradually fading away, all us diabetics left to fend for ourselves or basically paying for treatment out of our own money. Because let's face it no one will give us medical insurance.
So I am prioritising this issue when I cast my vote this year to pretty much the exclusion of everything else.

Reactions: 2 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wish they would stop slagging each other off though, it tends to put me off all of them, but who can we trust these days, more thought required.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My experience of labour governments is they love committees and red tape (even more than the tories). This is where you're money will be spent. IIf Ed fights the campaign on NHS principles I'm not convinced he can deliver. He will struggle to control his own party let alone anything else.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't trust the Labour lot with the economy because they will plough money in popular places such as the NHS without any thought as to where this money is coming from. If the money ain't there, nowt should be spent. Basic good housekeeping.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I would never vote Tory, for me they are the scum of the earth, what they have done to this country is turn people against each other. They have almost finished off what That Woman started. Private this private that, sod all you shoddy workshy 'you've brought it on yourselves' peasants. They don't even come out of their gilded houses to see the rest of us.
Think you get the message I hate tories.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Undecided tbh, I think some school kids or a troop of baboons would do a better job. It's dog eat dog out there, would I trust any of the parties............ well :eek: :meh:

Best wishes RRB

the_anticarb

Dislikes
I don't care if labour waste a bit of money on committees and red tape so long as they give some money to the NHS. I am literally scared for my life what will happen to it if the Tories stay in!

G

graj0

Just wish they would stop slagging each other off though, it tends to put me off all of them, but who can we trust these days, more thought required.
My thoughts exactly, I want to bang their heads together and tell them to stop slagging each other off and say what they can do for the people of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland and without showing preference to any part just to keep them sweet.

I would never vote Tory, for me they are the scum of the earth, what they have done to this country is turn people against each other. They have almost finished off what That Woman started. Private this private that, sod all you shoddy workshy 'you've brought it on yourselves' peasants. They don't even come out of their gilded houses to see the rest of us.

She certainly turned people into "sod you jack, I'm all right", "me me me me" people.

I wouldn't trust the Labour lot with the economy because they will plough money in popular places such as the NHS without any thought as to where this money is coming from. If the money ain't there, nowt should be spent. Basic good housekeeping.

I'm always concerned when I hear that people think we should put more money in one place or another, it has to come from somewhere, increase taxes or don't spend it elsewhere. Controversial, but do we need a nuclear deterrent? Wish I knew! Should we be trying to be as big as the US and doing what we've been doing in Iraq and Afghanistan? Do not get me wrong, our troops are all heroes and I will support them to the end of time, but their bosses, the government, where next?

Being Diabetic will not change my vote because I wouldn't trust any of them really, there's so much spin on everything, it just makes me ill. I've been looking at the Greens, I like the idea of a £10 minimum wage, but . . . . . . . as much as I'd like the lady on the supermarket checkout to get £10 an hour, I know that cost will be reflected in food prices. I might be able to afford it, could everybody. Whatever happens, somebody is going to be worse off and somebody is going to be better off. In theory, the majority should rule, but who knows?

Last edited:

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't care if labour waste a bit of money on committees and red tape so long as they give some money to the NHS. I am literally scared for my life what will happen to it if the Tories stay in!

That's the point though, the extra (even Ed doesn't know where it's coming from) money won't get spent on health care.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That's the point though, the extra (even Ed doesn't know where it's coming from) money won't get spent on health care.

and the where is the money coming from question is the most important.

G

graj0

One good thing is that we know we can't trust LibDems, say one thing to get your vote and then do the opposite.

Reactions: 3 people

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

At the time the "she" was the one who understood and listened to the working classes (remember her up-bringing) Instead of patronising the working man, they could now have ambitions, start businesses, buy houses. MT did more for the working man than any other post war government.

Why the turn against Labour now? They don't listen to the electorate. (I used to be a Labour voter).

the_anticarb

Dislikes
and the where is the money coming from question is the most important.
Well, it will come from taxation. If they keep the NHS even in its present form, that's worth paying a bit of tax for. They can have some - not all - for the committees and red tape. Wonder if they'll create a big red tape factory to make all of that tape. a few jobs in there as well.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm from South Yorkshire so That Woman, did the damage to us in the North that many haven't yet recovered from. Its one thing to sell off council houses yet another to forbid building of more which is what she did.
As for paying for the NHS isn't it time to stop blaming the poor, and go for the billions in tax evasion/avoidance!!

Reactions: 5 people

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, I don't think it does. Even if I wasn't so dependent on the NHS I would know it's value because of illnesses in my friends and family. The NHS is one of the (many, many) reasons I would never vote Conservative, but I'm not a 'single issue' voter at all.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I can't believe anyone with a chronic illness who hasn't got medical insurance could even think of voting anything else but Labour.
Simply because if the Tories get in you will need it!
Politicians are all the same, just some have more understanding what the needy need!
Has anyone forgot the food banks and giving endless money to the banks, also the huge tax cuts to the very rich?
Cuts, cuts, cuts and there is more to come. Down sizing till there nothing to cut! The hurt will go on!
Youth unemployment all time high between 16s to 21s.

If Ed Milliband wasn't leader, Labour would walk it!

Mrs t was a devil in a dress. She sold the country to her rich American chums and destroyed the rich heritage of working class family's all over the country.
Because of her, working class became something to be sneered at, rather than the proud, hard working soldiers who went and fought for this country in their thousands, during the first and second world wars. the very people who sacrificed their lives and their family's were subjected to an act of deliberate dis enfranchisement that would be condemned anywhere in the world.
You are still a subject in this country, not a citizen.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Trust nobody!

For those who think Labour are NHS friendly, they should remember that it was Labour who started all the PFI nonsense to get NHS spending "off the books" and put a lot of money into the pockets of their financier friends.

The NHS is now crippled with debts owing to these private firms who either make a fortune from interest payments or walk away leaving debts behind if they aren't making enough money.
[Guess who reads Private Eye!]

Remember that the left wing Labour Party no longer exists - it was never electable in any recent times - and has been replaced by New Labour (basically a takeover of a weak party by a new wave of political activists) which is a business friendly centrist party leaning towards the right with policies which are remarkably similar to Conservative and Lib Dem.

So Tories and New Labour are likely to carry on doing what they have been doing over the last several governments which is making the rich richer and the poor poorer.

UKIP and the Greens are coming across as groups of nutters at the moment.

Lib Dems lost a lot of credibility by joining the coalition but if you want to avoid voting for the usual suspects they seem to be the only remaining option. Basically yet another protest vote which will register as not voting for the two other major parties.

It would be nice to see "non of the above" on the ballot paper.

Cheers

LGC

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm from South Yorkshire so That Woman, did the damage to us in the North that many haven't yet recovered from. Its one thing to sell off council houses yet another to forbid building of more which is what she did.
As for paying for the NHS isn't it time to stop blaming the poor, and go for the billions in tax evasion/avoidance!!

MT hit the north ans Wales the worst but the whole country suffered. We lived in London (council flat) at the time and my then-husbad was being made redundant so we got in first and got a morgage for an old terraced house in Rochester (in Kent) expecting to find work in the Dockyward but then that shut down just after we moved, and interest rates rose from around 9% to 17% in a matter of months, causing many repossessions and thise repossessed couldn't get a council place becasue they were being sold off! Took us years to get straight again and the strain of it led to our divorce.
Despicable woman!

And yes. the current government blamig all our ills on the sick and unemplyed (just where are all these jobs they trying to push sick people into??) is just sickening - what#s that saying about a civilised country being judged on how it treats it's poorest an most vulnerable?

Reactions: 7 people