Advice on testing

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, read all these comments and v helpful as in similar place, practice nurse says no need to test as I will not get hypo (type 2, diet and lifestyle for first 3 months and then review). Bought the metre. Was testing last night , and got different readings within few minutes, why's that? I tested twice as was changing to new tub of strips, result did vary so used last strip in old box and reading different again. I tested different fingers each time, should I use same place if ever testing within a few minutes?

cookiesT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 2 and I experience hypo. All the classic symptoms. I've just bought a meter as I keep being refused by diabetic nurse and it's not because of hypos but to see how food affects my blood sugar and hopefully try and control things better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to echo cyclists comments I'm t2 and got a meter and strips, lancets on prescription without question.

I have, however known t2 people at the same doctors not being supported with a machine.

cookiesT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keep playing. The instructions aren't wonderful, but you will get there. You have to press the centre button to set stuff before you press the left and right buttons.
Think I've sorted it. Just done a test about hour half after food was 9.9 I know this is high (didn't test before as didn't have monitor sorted) but I also ate rubbish ie white bread and a couple of spoons of tinned spaghetti left overs from my grandson. Not to mention stressed after a not too good day at work.been a bad day all round really.

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you sorted it. Start tomorrow, test immediately before, and 2 hours after your first bite. Write it down alongside a food diary so you can look back. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

cookiesT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My numbers today. 5.3 before breakfast 6.8 two hours after. Low 3.8 before lunch 7.8 two hours after and 4.8 before evening meal.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if your 3.8 before lunch was a rogue reading? We all get those and tend to re-test another twice to confirm one way or the other.

The 4.8 before tea is very good. This is normally when we see our lowest readings of the day.

What did you have for your 2 meals?

cookiesT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Scrambled eggs (two eggs) two slices of bacon. Lunch was a pack of that no carb pasta with a spoonful of pesto and half dozen crab sticks, two plain biscuits oops. But was better than the hot chocolate I was craving which had loads more sugar and carbs. Just had cabbage cauliflower and quorn bolognese. See what that does in a couple of hours.

Reactions: 5 people

cookiesT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Scrambled eggs (two eggs) two slices of bacon. Lunch was a pack of that no carb pasta with a spoonful of pesto and half dozen crab sticks, two plain biscuits oops. But was better than the hot chocolate I was craving which had loads more sugar and carbs. Just had cabbage cauliflower and quorn bolognese. See what that does in a couple of hours.
6.6 2hours later

Reactions: 5 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
NO CARB PASTA?? Could you tell me more about that please.:wideyed::wideyed:

cookiesT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's horrible tbh made with konjac flour from Holland and Barratt like eating rubber. First time I had it other day. They do rice and noodles basically. All the same just in different shapes. Barely any calories either. It's the carbs in struggling with when I go low carb I go hypo. I've only just started testing over last couple of days and at a loss as to what numbers I should be aiming for. I bought the monitor myself as diabetic nurse keeps refusing to let me test. So I decided for myself to see what food does to my blood sugar.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It's horrible tbh made with konjac flour from Holland and Barratt like eating rubber. First time I had it other day. They do rice and noodles basically. All the same just in different shapes. Barely any calories either. It's the carbs in struggling with when I go low carb I go hypo. I've only just started testing over last couple of days and at a loss as to what numbers I should be aiming for. I bought the monitor myself as diabetic nurse keeps refusing to let me test. So I decided for myself to see what food does to my blood sugar.

These are the NICE guidelines for numbers.

Non diabetic between 4 and 5.9 fasting and pre-meal, under 7.8 at 2 hours after
Type 2's between 4 and 7 fasting and pre-meal, under 8.5 at 2 hours after

However, and it is a big however, it is generally thought these numbers are too generous and that maybe a better target might be

Fasting and pre-meal under 6
Post meal 2hrs under 7.8

Once you hit those targets, you may wish to lower them further.
The lower the better

Reactions: 4 people

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's horrible tbh made with konjac flour from Holland and Barratt like eating rubber. First time I had it other day. They do rice and noodles basically. All the same just in different shapes. Barely any calories either.
Think I'll give it a miss then. Thanks for the reply.

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done on the weight loss. I was diagnosed type 2 in September 2014, I test in the morning and 2 hours after break. Test before your meals and again 2 hours after. You don't want a rise of more than 2 points. Your current levels are very good and you should be proud of them. After a while you will get to know what foods your body can handle and those it cant. You will also find that if you are under the weather or stressed your BG levels will rise. Also don't check your BG levels just after exercise, wait at least 30 to 40 mins. I bought the SD code free meter at it was cheap to buy and the test strips are about £7 for 50, And if you buy 3 boxes its works out cheaper still.
I would say when you get your next bloods done your HBA1C will probably show you at normal levels.
It is great that you have bought your own meter. The cost of your strips isn't too bad. I am type 1 and have used meters with strips costing less than £10.00 for 50. I test every 4 hours usually as per DAFNE. If my ratios are OK my insulin usually takes about 4 hours to work but don't get too worried if your 2 hour test is more than 2 mmols higher than before your meal..it will all depend on what your eaten i.e. amount of carbs in the meal and how metformin works for you. Your current readings are fine.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Scrambled eggs (two eggs) two slices of bacon. Lunch was a pack of that no carb pasta with a spoonful of pesto and half dozen crab sticks, two plain biscuits oops. But was better than the hot chocolate I was craving which had loads more sugar and carbs.

I was missing hot chocolate when I realised I could make cocoa with water and a big dollop of double cream, it's gorgeous! :)

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good to know.

Same with coffee, I used to drink it made with all milk, now it's water and double cream. I still can't get used to something being so lush being allowed on a 'diet' ;) Can't stand creamy tea though so I drink green tea instead.

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@cookiesT2 - half a dozen crab sticks could raise your BG. Some are as much as 4g carbs per crabstick, others under 2g. It depends on where you buy them from