HBA1C Results

Marcus777

Bit disheartened. Thought I was doing well but have just been told 6 months HBA1C result was 60 (up from 54), and I need to see the Diabetes Nurse.

I drink a lot of pure squeezed tomato juice and eat a lot of blueberries. Thought these were superfoods which would do me good, but now I am beginning to wonder.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

So sorry about your disappointing HbA1c, but hopefully you can tweak your diet and get it back down again.

It won't just be the tomato juice and blueberries, although in large amounts they won't be helping. 150ml of tomato juice has 5g carbs. 40g of blueberries has 6g carbs.

Have you reduced your carbs, particularly the major ones (bread of any colour, rice, pasta, potatoes, and anything containing flour). These are the main culprits as far as BS are concerned.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, sorry about the results.

What have you eaten over the last few days? And are those foods typical?

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry you are disappointed with your results, but seeing as they take in Christmas & New Year when most of us overeat or indulge in foods we don't normally eat, your increase was only minimal, and I am sure that you can and will get back on track. So don't beat yourself up, chalk it up to experience move on. There is lots of great advice on this site that can help you.
Good luck

Reactions: 2 people

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Bit disheartened. Thought I was doing well but have just been told 6 months HBA1C result was 60 (up from 54), and I need to see the Diabetes Nurse.

I drink a lot of pure squeezed tomato juice and eat a lot of blueberries. Thought these were superfoods which would do me good, but now I am beginning to wonder.
Hi Marcus...what else have you eaten and drunk?..I have a half tin of plum tomatoes every morning with my fried egg egg..but If I didn't exercise and watch the other foods I ate I doubt I would have gone from Hba1c of 86 to 38 in 12 weeks...have a review, rethink...and go again...dont be disheartened...Go AGAIN and good luck!

Reactions: 4 people

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a newbie to the forum what helped me the most was the "What have you eaten today" thread that you can find in the Low Carb Diet Forum. That gave me numerous ideas which proved useful.

Marcus777

After being down for a day have tried to pull myself together. Breakfast is now back to 1 Weetabix with milk and blueberries, and a glass of pure tomato juice. Nothing else. Lunch is 3 Ryvitas with a low calorie topping. Evening meal is whatever my wife cooks (such as chicken casserole, tuna salad, and tonight fajitas), and I'm back to cutting out bread and potatoes. And I'm not snacking. Don't know how long I will be able to keep this regime up, but I am due to see the DN next Tuesday. I feel sure there was something wrong with my test result, as my BS readings - two hours after breakfast, yesterday and today were only 7.3 and 5.3., and I'm not overweight. I am going to ask her if the clinic will let me have another test.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After being down for a day have tried to pull myself together. Breakfast is now back to 1 Weetabix with milk and blueberries, and a glass of pure tomato juice. Nothing else. Lunch is 3 Ryvitas with a low calorie topping. Evening meal is whatever my wife cooks (such as chicken casserole, tuna salad, and tonight fajitas), and I'm back to cutting out bread and potatoes. And I'm not snacking. Don't know how long I will be able to keep this regime up, but I am due to see the DN next Tuesday. I feel sure there was something wrong with my test result, as my BS readings - two hours after breakfast, yesterday and today were only 7.3 and 5.3., and I'm not overweight. I am going to ask her if the clinic will let me have another test.

You may be missing your peaks when you test. If you only test 2 hours after your first bite, you may be on the way down from much higher, or still on the way up to much higher. Weetabix can be a killer for most of us, especially with milk and blueberries. They are all very high carb, even the blueberries if you have more than a small handful. I would try testing every half an hour for a couple of days - I did this ages ago and found loads of peaks I didn't know about.

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that snacking helps me. I tend to eat every 3 hours, so that I avoid larger portions, and so that my bs levels don't go up and down in peaks - but rather only move up and down slightly. I don't touch cereals at all, a slice of wholemeal toast has a lot better effect on my bs levels. Keep testing to see what is best for you.

C

chris lowe

Have you got a carb counter book? It's invaluable for keeping a check on how many carbs you are eating. You can get a pocket version that will go in a bag or jacket pocket. Personally I wouldn't eat weetabix as I get a bit of a spike with it but we're all different and you may not be getting so much of a spike. You could always ask the DN to refer you to a dietician, though most NHS advice is to eat carbs with every meal which most of us ignore. Hope the appointment goes ok, you could always ask if you could have atest in 6 months time, just afte Christmas is a bad time to get tested if you've been naughty for the month (so many dinners and luches to go to, so little time to fit them all in)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Breakfast is now back to 1 Weetabix with milk and blueberries, and a glass of pure tomato juice. Nothing else. Lunch is 3 Ryvitas with a low calorie topping. Evening meal is whatever my wife cooks (such as chicken casserole, tuna salad, and tonight fajitas), and I'm back to cutting out bread and potatoes. And I'm not snacking. Don't know how long I will be able to keep this regime up, but I am due to see the DN next Tuesday. I feel sure there was something wrong with my test result, as my BS readings - two hours after breakfast, yesterday and today were only 7.3 and 5.3., and I'm not overweight. I am going to ask her if the clinic will let me have another test.

1 weetabix is approx 20 g carb with the milk and blueberries your are probably pushing up to 30. Do you put sugar on it? Are you using skimmed milk (higher in carb than full fat milk and will raise you BG levels faster. Why the blue berries?

3 ryvitas - ok about the same amount of carbs as a slice of bread. However what is a low calorie topping? If it is a commercial of the shelf topping then I expect it is high in carbs and low in fat which is just the opposite to your needs. Try peanut butter (now this is fantastic) or maybe sardines or tuna and mayo (proper mayo not reduced fat junk). What did you have to drink throughout the day?

Finally does your wife understand about low carb foods - is she making the chicken casserole with flour/corn flour as thickening. This will be a killer for you. There are so many hidden carbs. Fajitas are just flour so again be careful. The sauce the meat is in may have flour as a base.... Oh my that pesky wheat is everywhere.....

What do you have for pudding/dessert?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi have a read of the low carb thread linked in my sig below. NHS advice for diets is wrong for diabetics, carbs are the enemy.