Diabetic in denial

Remgem7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone,I don't think this is going to go down well here but I have to be honest. I have had type 2 diabetes for 4--5 yrs now and have never taken it seriously, I have a huge Addiction to sugar that I feel totally powerless over. I take metformin 500mg twice a day but apart from that I am basically in denial. my diet is rubbish and to be honest i dont even know what is good for me to eat. this is the last place i want to be saying this to people who probably struggle daily with this illness but i know i need to get real and i just dont know how to do it. i dont know what my Hba1c is but i will find out on wed when i go for my annual check. i know everytime i eat sugary things im just killing myself slowly but i cant seem to stop, i really need help. i thought for a long time i could eat all the sweet things and the tablets would take care of it but thats not the way they work apparently. i would really appreciate any advice,replies or reprimands. thank you in advance.

Reactions: 2 people

Remgem7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't worry Remgem you're not alone. I explained my story in my intro "Had a kick up the backside" and it was a kick that has changed my whole outlook over the last couple of weeks or so.
Other illnesses took priority for a few years, diabetes took a back seat because it wasn't painful and disabling like the others, but getting a high HBA1C gave me a real shock, and scared me into accepting that if I don't change my ways my diabetes could not only become painful and disabling, but could kill me.
I've been on the low carb high fat diet for just a couple of weeks, never thought I could give up sugar, bread, pots, rice, pasta, but it's not been as hard as I thought (nothing like a shock to change your ways!) and I've found alternatives and have halved my glucose levels, have lost weight already and feel much better for it. There is a forum here for the lchf diet that well worth reading, it really does work, and quickly, worth a try?
I'm sure there are many others here who have similar stories of denial or just not knowing the right/wrong foods to eat, just stick with the forum, read all you can and ask whatever questions you want, there's always someone who knows the answer.
You might want to get a book called Carbs & Cals to start with, it will really help.
Good luck with it all, but I'm sure you can do it, if I can anyone can ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Dear Remmy you must get your act together sharpish.
Four or five years of behaving badly will as you say be killing you slowly but there's more to it than that.
You may be heading for amputation.
You may be heading for blindness ... you may be heading for both and then some more.
If that's you in the picture you're a pretty girl and it would be sad for you to end up a pretty blind deaf and limbless girl for the sake of a little sugar.
That's the reality them's the choices you have made so far.
It aint easy if as you say you have a serious addiction.
The good news is you have just arrived at the place where you have a chance of saving your health ... saving your life.
Here is where you can discover how to still enjoy life and still enjoy your grub.
Think of this place as The Hotel California .... you can check out but you can never leave.
This is where your life will change for the better.
Trust me .... and all the other people here who have succeeded to greater or lesser degrees in learning to live with this.
It aint the end of your world .... it's the begining and I look forward to seeing you get your act together!!!!

Remgem7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't worry Remgem you're not alone. I explained my story in my intro "Had a kick up the backside" and it was a kick that has changed my whole outlook over the last couple of weeks or so.
Other illnesses took priority for a few years, diabetes took a back seat because it wasn't painful and disabling like the others, but getting a high HBA1C gave me a real shock, and scared me into accepting that if I don't change my ways my diabetes could not only become painful and disabling, but could kill me.
I've been on the low carb high fat diet for just a couple of weeks, never thought I could give up sugar, bread, pots, rice, pasta, but it's not been as hard as I thought (nothing like a shock to change your ways!) and I've found alternatives and have halved my glucose levels, have lost weight already and feel much better for it. There is a forum here for the lchf diet that well worth reading, it really does work, and quickly, worth a try?
I'm sure there are many others here who have similar stories of denial or just not knowing the right/wrong foods to eat, just stick with the forum, read all you can and ask whatever questions you want, there's always someone who knows the answer.
You might want to get a book called Carbs & Cals to start with, it will really help.
Good luck with it all, but I'm sure you can do it, if I can anyone can ;)
Hi Rowan, Thanks for your reply, its funny you named your story that as thats just what I need, a kickup the backside. yes it seems like i will be trying this low carb high fat diet, i have just been reading about it(which is a small step because i wasnt even reading/researching anything before).
losing weight would be a definite plus. I too am struggling with other illnesses that have an effect on how well i manage myself on the whole but at the moment im not even trying so I have to start. Thank you so much for your encouragement.

Remgem7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Remmy you must get your act together sharpish.
Four or five years of behaving badly will as you say be killing you slowly but there's more to it than that.
You may be heading for amputation.
You may be heading for blindness ... you may be heading for both and then some more.
If that's you in the picture you're a pretty girl and it would be sad for you to end up a pretty blind deaf and limbless girl for the sake of a little sugar.
That's the reality them's the choices you have made so far.
It aint easy if as you say you have a serious addiction.
The good news is you have just arrived at the place where you have a chance of saving your health ... saving your life.
Here is where you can discover how to still enjoy life and still enjoy your grub.
Think of this place as The Hotel California .... you can check out but you can never leave.
This is where your life will change for the better.
Trust me .... and all the other people here who have succeeded to greater or lesser degrees in learning to live with this.
It aint the end of your world .... it's the begining and I look forward to seeing you get your act together!!!!
Jackthelad, you know,I know all the things you are saying here already but when you type it and I read it and its not coming from my own head(where i can quickly shut it up) it sounds a lot louder and a lot clearer. I thank you for giving it to me straight. this Hotel California is about to become my base I think. Thanks jack

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Remgem
You've made a hard move in coming hère. Well done and welcome!

We will all support you in our various ways. Ask for whatever information and help you need.
Jane

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Remgem7 , and welcome.

Sugar and carb addiction is insidious and we feel helpless against it, but the fewer carbs we eat, the better we feel, and the weaker the cravings.

You've had good links suggested.

I suggest you do 3 more things
  1. Google search 'diabetic amputations' and look at the pictures
  2. Get yourself a test meter and use it (the cheapest I know of is the SD Codefree)
  3. Use the bloodsugar101 link in my signature to read up on what you blood glucose should be, and the consequences if it is too high.
Those 3 things give me masses of motivation!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi @Remgem7 , welcome and well done for being brutally honest. I'm sure you know you're not doing yourself any favours at the moment but you really do need to take this seriously if you want to minimise the chances (or even avoid) developing those nasty complications. @Brunneria is quite right to refer you to those photos, that should be incentive enough for anyone.

Get yourself off those sugars, and reduce your carb intake significantly. Get yourself a test meter to see what eating the wrong foods does to you after meals. Have a read of the links in my sig below starting with the beginners' guide to low carb.

Whatever your next HbA1c is, you can manage this with help and support from here. Get your previous test results from the surgery as well, you are entitled to have them print them out for you.

Stick around and ask any questions.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After just getting home from seeing my diabetic nurse I'd like to add that they still advocate a low fat diet, with carbs at each meal, and they don't seem too happy with the lchf idea! Even the book she gave me 'Your Guide to Type 2 Diabetes goes the low fat and porridge for breakfast route! Just so you're pre-warned when you see your doctor/nurse ;)

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome Remgem7,
Your story sounds very much like mine. Arthritis, depression that just wont go away, why should I worry about the diabetes. My sister had diabetes, cancer got her. I'm already 64, so why should I bother.
I am so tired all the time. So decided, ok lets look into it.

I found this wesite only a few days ago, wish I had found it years ago, LOADS of help and advice.
I am type 2, Tuesday nurse said no to a meter, so have purchase my own. I WILL start testing first thing tomorrow morning.
Do stick with it. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Your title to the thread says you are in denial, but you have now brought your head out of the sand by coming here and telling us your story. Well done. First stage over and done with. Now look ahead, not back. You can control this. Ask questions, read round, and keep posting. Good luck.

Remgem7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I googled the pictures ugh! And I watched a few videos on you tube too. I'd love to say that's enough to make me never touch carbs or sugar again but I'm good at wearing blinkers. It's certainly scared and motivated me though. I will get a test meter or strips rather as I had a meter somewhere and I will check out link in your signature. Thank you
Hi @Remgem7 , and welcome.

Sugar and carb addiction is insidious and we feel helpless against it, but the fewer carbs we eat, the better we feel, and the weaker the cravings.

You've had good links suggested.

I suggest you do 3 more things
  1. Google search 'diabetic amputations' and look at the pictures
  2. Get yourself a test meter and use it (the cheapest I know of is the SD Codefree)
  3. Use the bloodsugar101 link in my signature to read up on what you blood glucose should be, and the consequences if it is too high.
Those 3 things give me masses of motivation![/QUOTE

Remgem7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Remgem7 , welcome and well done for being brutally honest. I'm sure you know you're not doing yourself any favours at the moment but you really do need to take this seriously if you want to minimise the chances (or even avoid) developing those nasty complications. @Brunneria is quite right to refer you to those photos, that should be incentive enough for anyone.

Get yourself off those sugars, and reduce your carb intake significantly. Get yourself a test meter to see what eating the wrong foods does to you after meals. Have a read of the links in my sig below starting with the beginners' guide to low carb.

Whatever your next HbA1c is, you can manage this with help and support from here. Get your previous test results from the surgery as well, you are entitled to have them print them out for you.

Stick around and ask any questions.
Hi Sanguine, I have had no/or little carbs today I will check your links thank you for the advice

Remgem7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you it will try to get more information on Wed.
After just getting home from seeing my diabetic nurse I'd like to add that they still advocate a low fat diet, with carbs at each meal, and they don't seem too happy with the lchf idea! Even the book she gave me 'Your Guide to Type 2 Diabetes goes the low fat and porridge for breakfast route! Just so you're pre-warned when you see your doctor/nurse ;)

Remgem7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome Remgem7,
Your story sounds very much like mine. Arthritis, depression that just wont go away, why should I worry about the diabetes. My sister had diabetes, cancer got her. I'm already 64, so why should I bother.
I am so tired all the time. So decided, ok lets look into it.

I found this wesite only a few days ago, wish I had found it years ago, LOADS of help and advice.
I am type 2, Tuesday nurse said no to a meter, so have purchase my own. I WILL start testing first thing tomorrow morning.
Do stick with it. :)
Thank you Millysue. It's good to hear that someone identifies

Remgem7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Blue. I'm really happy I did now. I've actually taken steps to change now thanks to responses and encouragement.
Hi and welcome,

Your title to the thread says you are in denial, but you have now brought your head out of the sand by coming here and telling us your story. Well done. First stage over and done with. Now look ahead, not back. You can control this. Ask questions, read round, and keep posting. Good luck.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Remgem7, our new mantra should be, We CAN and we WILL beat this.
:)