Classic cars/bikes or renovations on motorcars/bikes/vehicles

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its going to get better, at the moment it's got a 3.8 four cylinder 56hp BMC diesel, I've been rebuilding a 5.1 six cylinder 115 hp BMC to swap into her.

The original engine is badly worn and the block is cracked so not worth rebuilding, I'm going to have to cut and stretch the chassis 9.5" to accommodate the bigger engine.

Now this motor really does sound beastly in the flesh, the old girl is going to be a monster once it's in :)

K

Kat100

I had a very old Wolsey beige it was with a lovely wooden dash board ...I can even rember the number plate ...always have ....
I worked nights in a pub on top of my day job to save for it ... £300 it was very second hand but worked ...took petrol and everything ...
For my 18 birthday I used my birthday money to,put towards four new tyres ...don't think I was ever forgiven ...but that car which I loved gave me my future so to speak ....:happy:

Reactions: 7 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
My first car in 1962 was one like this

morris-eight.jpg

and nowadays I have this

Widecombecopy_zpsf11f0bb4.jpg

Love this cheery blue colour - its really eye catching and I love it .
Not a shade of blue you see often very nice .:)

Reactions: 3 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a very old Wolsey beige it was with a lovely wooden dash board ...I can even rember the number plate ...always have ....
I worked nights in a pub on top of my day job to save for it ... £300 it was very second hand but worked ...took petrol and everything ...
For my 18 birthday I used my birthday money to,put towards four new tyres ...don't think I was ever forgiven ...but that car which I loved gave me my future so to speak ....:happy:
Hi,@Kat100 was the dash on your Wolsey like this:
images
4074940.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
This is a Lancia Fulvia 1.3S Zagato, much collected by enthusiasts of classic cars and not many were made. Mine was built in 1968 but I got it later in its life. This one is not mine. Mine had two bad accidents in its lifetime and it ended up rather crooked. The last I heard of mine was when I sold it at a classic car meeting.

188813_227994614007228_1999817538_n.jpg

You a car girl too Daisy ?
Tell us more about them .
Red your fave car colour - as both cars here are flame red's .

Red sports coloured cars seem to make them look more flashy I have always thought .
Red then silver are my favourites .

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

Red sports coloured cars seem to make them look more flashy I have always thought .

Italian cars were traditionally red (Rosso corsa). Both these cars were second hand so I didn't choose the colour but I loved it anyway. I now drive a mink-coloured Smart Brabus (my third Smart). Need to park in town a lot.

Reactions: 5 people
K

Kat100

Hi,@Kat100 was the dash on your Wolsey like this:
images
4074940.jpg
Yes I think it was , did you buy my car ,;) had to pay to have someone take it away after many years of use ....£20 I remember , because it needed lots of welding it was not in my budget in those days x thanks for the picture @izzzi

Reactions: 2 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I think it was , did you buy my car ,;) had to pay to have someone take it away after many years of use ....£20 I remember , because it needed lots of welding it was not in my budget in those days x thanks for the picture @izzzi
@Kat100 I wish i did buy your car, these days cars like yours are well respected.:)
:)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Italian cars were traditionally red (Rosso corsa). Both these cars were second hand so I didn't choose the colour but I loved it anyway. I now drive a mink-coloured Smart Brabus (my third Smart). Need to park in town a lot.
I am sure I saw @daisy1 driving a BMW the other day,:)
images
:)

Reactions: 11 people
N

NicolaB70

My fathers pride and joy that he owns is his BSA Goldstar. Can't tell you much about it apart from that it still works but he doesn't ride it anymore, it's extremely heavy and it gets an annual spit and polish once a year. This isn't his bike but it's exactly the same.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1422478214.372013.jpg

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bought this Virago 535
Virago 535.jpg

and converted it into this...........................

Cadbury trike 2.jpg

Cadbury trike 1.jpg
The Cadburys Dairy Milk Trike.

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First restoration bike I ever bought, a Honda CD175 off Ebay and within an hour of getting it home it looked like this................................

bikepics-445607-800.jpg

Then came the polishing, painting, new parts etc and rebuild..........................

bikepics-445610-200.jpg
bikepics-445595-200.jpg
bikepics-460514-200.jpg

britincali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If we're doing bikes here's my babies ..

2011 CRF450R converted to a two stroke CR500R engine

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1422578614.615748.jpg

2000 CR500R, heavily ported, bored, intake, exhaust and a 50 hp wet shot nitrous system :)
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1422578689.136927.jpg

I built them both myself :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My grandmother had a grey split screen Morris minor.

I was learning to drive when she died, and I begged for that car!
It was such a little beauty, and such sentimental impact. :(
No chance.
It was sold and I had to save up for my own chariot (a custard yellow vauxhall chevette) which I bought 2 years later.

Mind you, the Morris probably went to a better home than me. I bet it is still running, loved, gleaming, and turns up at rallies purring. :)

Reactions: 6 people

Zenedge

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I'm new here but any time I join a forum, I always check the car section to see what people are driving.

When I passed my test in '92, my first car was a Mk1 fiesta, I've had many since and still drive one today, this one is a highly modified supersport replica with a brand new, zero miles, straight from the ford factory 2 litre modern zetec engine.

I owned a few year old Porsche cayenne up until a few months ago and would move the Porsche on a daily basis to get the fiesta out, I love driving it that much.

I had a photo shoot with the car a little while ago and I'm waiting for it to be featured in one of the motoring magazines shortly, I also have a 1970 VW beetle convertible, needs a little bit of tidying up but I'll hopefully get to that this summer.

I hope you like and I hope I've uploaded them properly :confused:

Reactions: 11 people

Blondie153

I'm new here but any time I join a forum, I always check the car section to see what people are driving.

When I passed my test in '92, my first car was a Mk1 fiesta, I've had many since and still drive one today, this one is a highly modified supersport replica with a brand new, zero miles, straight from the ford factory 2 litre modern zetec engine.

I owned a few year old Porsche cayenne up until a few months ago and would move the Porsche on a daily basis to get the fiesta out, I love driving it that much.

I had a photo shoot with the car a little while ago and I'm waiting for it to be featured in one of the motoring magazines shortly, I also have a 1970 VW beetle convertible, needs a little bit of tidying up but I'll hopefully get to that this summer.

I hope you like and I hope I've uploaded them properly :confused:

Hi, slightly off topic but what did you think of the cayenne? I was thinking of one but people keep saying they are too like the tourag. Would love your thoughts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I used to work at a car dealership and I was the only one who couldn't drive lol I love the style of the classic cars, the workmanship and the history of them, just fascinating . Remember Genevieve ( 1953), one of my all time classic films, love it <3

:happy:

Zenedge

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hated it Blondie, I mean, it was a lovely big car but absolutely useless.

The car before was a Mercedes V-class (7 seat people carrier) which was a fantastic big car, I could carry my massive R/C aeroplanes, snowboards, bikes, tools, garden materials, DIY stuff, you name it I had it in there including a 4.5 metre long heavy steel beam for removing a supporting wall in my kitchen/dining room.

A few days after buying the Porsche, the oldest daughter and I went to go snowboarding and I couldn't even fit 2 snowboards in the boot immediately, I knew it was a mistake.

Fuel consumption on the Apollo was probably less, at one point I calculated approx 7-8 mpg, it was a 4.5 litre V8 though so I wasn't buying for fuel economy but it was astronomical. I hear the diesel is obviously much better.

Resale was hard too, luckily for me somebody wrote it off when it was parked up and I got a good price back for it (around double what I had sold it for the day before on eBay), I had it for sale for around 3-4 months before that happened and was starting to think I was stuck with it... I mean, there's worse things in life than being 'stuck' with a Porsche but the fuel economy was really taking the enjoyment out of driving it.

I'm afraid I can't compare it to the touareg as I've never owned one but it is essentially the same car, the only difference other than subtle bodywork is that one is finished in the VW factory and the other is finished in the Porsche factory and costs a lot more... I just wanted to own a Porsche for a while. Also, I may be wrong but I think the touareg is available in a better range of engines.

All in all, the only Porsche I'd ever consider again is a classic 911... I'm considering my itch, scratched. I've bought another Mercedes v-class to replace it.

Hope this helps.

Blondie153

Hated it Blondie, I mean, it was a lovely big car but absolutely useless.

The car before was a Mercedes V-class (7 seat people carrier) which was a fantastic big car, I could carry my massive R/C aeroplanes, snowboards, bikes, tools, garden materials, DIY stuff, you name it I had it in there including a 4.5 metre long heavy steel beam for removing a supporting wall in my kitchen/dining room.

A few days after buying the Porsche, the oldest daughter and I went to go snowboarding and I couldn't even fit 2 snowboards in the boot immediately, I knew it was a mistake.

Fuel consumption on the Apollo was probably less, at one point I calculated approx 7-8 mpg, it was a 4.5 litre V8 though so I wasn't buying for fuel economy but it was astronomical. I hear the diesel is obviously much better.

Resale was hard too, luckily for me somebody wrote it off when it was parked up and I got a good price back for it (around double what I had sold it for the day before on eBay), I had it for sale for around 3-4 months before that happened and was starting to think I was stuck with it... I mean, there's worse things in life than being 'stuck' with a Porsche but the fuel economy was really taking the enjoyment out of driving it.

I'm afraid I can't compare it to the touareg as I've never owned one but it is essentially the same car, the only difference other than subtle bodywork is that one is finished in the VW factory and the other is finished in the Porsche factory and costs a lot more... I just wanted to own a Porsche for a while. Also, I may be wrong but I think the touareg is available in a better range of engines.

All in all, the only Porsche I'd ever consider again is a classic 911... I'm considering my itch, scratched. I've bought another Mercedes v-class to replace it.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a million or that, very informative. I think I might go for the Mercedes gl then. Have an Audi q7 but not mad keen. Thanks again

C

chris lowe

My first car (about 1973ish) was an old Wolsey 1500 bought for £25. Took it for an MOT after I'd had it a year and they said they were scared to drive it off the ramps :hilarious::hilarious: I still hanker after my little pink fiat 500. For some reason Mr Chris won't trade in his merc as he said he wouldn't get all his gear in it.:)