Steroid-Induced Diabetes

Kay60

I have an autoimmune illness that requires me to be on long term Prednisolone.

First I developed steroid-induced hypertension; then steroid-induced Cushing's Syndrome; finally, in September 2014, I was diagnosed with steroid-induced Type 2 diabetes.

I wonder if there's anyone out there in a similar situation?!

C

catherinecherub

Hi @Kay60 and welcome to the forum.

There are people here with steroid induced diabetes but as to the other conditions I really don't know.

Will bump your post up for a reply.

If you need any help with the basics, @daisy1 will be along to offer you a guide that is given to newly diagnosed and it may be of help to you.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yep I know of a lady with steroid induced T2 diabetes.. So I know that this occurs.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Up until last May I had been taking Prednisolone for 6.5 years, endeavouring to keep my Polymyalgia under control.

Within three months of taking Prednisolone, I was diagnosed with hypertension. In October of last year a routine blood test for my ESR showed I was prediabetic.

Steroids - Yuk!

Kay60

You know what I'm talking about, Lynn1. I've been on Prednisolone for approx 7 years, for pulmonary sarcoidosis. It's so effective at reducing inflammation, but the side effects can be almost as bad as the original condition!

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I finally weaned myself off them last May as I needed a knee replacement and my surgeon wouldn't operate whilst I was taking them. Second knee is on the 18th March.

Felt like a new person when I was taking them, but the damage they've done is awful. That includes osteoporosis.

Feel pretty grotty most of the time though with aches and pains. Literally have to roll out of bed in the morning.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Steroids didn't cause my diabetes but I have to use steroid ointments a lot and occasionally orally and both ways send my glucose levels sky high. I use them as little as possible but sometimes there's just no other option. Diabetes would be so much easier to deal with if you have no other illnesses!

Reactions: 2 people

Kay60

Hi Snorkie, thanks for all the interesting information. You obviously know what you're talking about. I've been up to 40mg of pred but am now down to 4mg. Trying to go below 4mg results in adrenal insufficiency and I become extremely unwell. But, once I get my head round the diabetes, I'll check with my consultant if I could try again to reduce the pred by a quarter of a mg a month to see if I'm able to cope with that. I've taken on board all your good advice and thank you very much for it.

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Kay, I'm also newly diagnosed with diabetes 2, having been on prednisolone for about 8 years for polymyalgia, like Lynn. I also had a bout of GCA last year which needs even higher prednisolone doses.

My sugar levels have been borderline high, but my GP thought they would go down once I came off the steroids. However, I've been in too much pain , and the dose has had to stay high.

I have been on metformin for a week, and after 2 days felt much better, and it seems as if some of the aches and pains I thought were a PMR flare up have got much better. At the moment I take 500 mg metformin after breakfast, and tomorrow I add another 500mg after lunch. Then add another 500 mg after evening meal the following week..

I've just bought a testing meter, and had a happy hour struggling with the instructions .

Kay60

Thanks for your interesting reply, Margaret. Seems like quite a few of us have developed diabetes because of Prednisolone.

I had gastric problems just before starting metformin, so my GP wants me to have a colonoscopy before he ups my dose. Great!

I hope you get on well using your meter. I'm struggling to get enough blood out of my fingers!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just incidentally... Have you reported to the mhra that you have diabetes resulting from these drugs?

Otherwise they will only ever get information from their original research...

Reactions: 2 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
But who's to say it was Prednisolone that caused my prediabetes?

A

AnnieC

Yes my husband was diagnosed with T2 and he takes Prednisolone for Polymyalgia which he developed about three years ago and although he has reduced the dose slowly over the last year and now only takes 2mg a day the doctor said it was still probably the cause of his diabetes he does not have any other medical problems

Kay60

AnnieC, I find it amazing that we can reduce down to comparatively small doses of Prednisolone and yet still develop T2.